40 Help: Now the 2nd Life's Story (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

afgman786

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey cousin found a diesel 40 for a in GA and wants to know what to look for when checking it out tomorrow

Here's the link. The guy also sent him videos

Hey cousin found a diesel 40 for a in GA and wants to know what to look for when checking it out tomorrow

I saw this one listed. Looks legit, but I don't know anything about these diesels. I wonder how rusty it is under that paint?

I saw this one listed. Looks legit, but I don't know anything about these diesels. I wonder how rusty it is under that paint?

The quality of the videos I'm getting isn't too great since it's from iphone to android. But the guy did full walk around videos for him close up on the rust spots and all.

Just not sure what he needs to look for mechanically, what are weak spots to check for or anything like that

rust on the frame....he's gonna have to crawl underneath it and look at areas in the rear. look for any patches.

why is the guy selling it?
me personally, I hate the diamond rear corners, usually signs of rust around back
check for smoke after starting the diesel.

Every Diesel 40 we've had come through the shop has been a complete lipstick on a pig basket case. This one may be the exception but I wouldn't count on it.

Not every truck can be a creampuff like your dad's 40 :)

rust on the frame....he's gonna have to crawl underneath it and look at areas in the rear. look for any patches.

why is the guy selling it?
me personally, I hate the diamond rear corners, usually signs of rust around back
check for smoke after starting the diesel.

Guy doesn't have space for it or something like that

He bought it

IMG950642.jpg

FYSA >some< of these were 24 volt. I don't see another battery. Might want to find out if it was originally 12 or 24 volt.

Now fill him with horror stories to the point where he just lets it sits out of fear of dumping endless money into it. Wait a bit then offer to "solve his problem" with an offer of less than he paid.

Now fill him with horror stories to the point where he just lets it sits out of fear of dumping endless money into it. Wait a bit then offer to "solve his problem" with an offer of less than he paid.
He is driving a 200.
He could probably restore it with just the change left in the cupholders.

He is driving a 200.
He could probably restore it with just the change left in the cupholders.
He's selling the 200 and going to get something else as a daily so he can work on the 40 and not stress too much about it.

He kept considering it as mine as well... It'll be at Relic Run for sure!
Good thing is his dad, and our uncles had these back in Afghanistan and beat the snot out of em and kept em running. So they will be able to help him work on the diesel, since that's all they had when they were fighting the Soviets.

Well if he was looking for a 40 with questionable mechanical qualities I could of hooked him up.
The car drove perfectly fine, no issues from what he told me. He had me on video call when he was checking it out. Granted I don't know much of anything about 40s let alone a diesel. Sounded like he shouldn't have problems with it.

The guy he bought it off of didn't know what he had. When I asked them to test out 4lo the poor guy didn't know how to work the transfer case lever, or lock the hubs. Hopefully he got real lucky on this

the poor guy didn't know how to work the transfer case lever, or lock the hubs.
Fair warning - common trick of ashholes is to claim they "don't know how". Hopefully your relative will be an exception! Looking forward to seeing another baby sh!t brown 40 at CRR (can never have enough). We'll definitely welcome him with open arms. @Trollhole 's shop isn't too far away from him (in case he gets in over his head on something).

So need some guidance from yal...
The handbrake does not work on the 40. How hard is it to fix the handbrake? This has the handbrake at the T case, trying to get an understanding of what all needs to be taken apart to fix this.. also the horn doesn't work.

Cousin wants to try and get the important things taken care of in time for Relic Run. I will be traveling down mid February to spend a weekend helping him work on it as well...

Along with that, would any of yal know what the part number is for the clutch? From what he has been told the diesel's need a specific clutch? 1B motor w/ 4speed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom