40 bumper question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm wanting to build an ARB style bumper/bullbar for my 40. I have many encounters with deer and dont want to total my rig. What is your opinion of this style and how would it look with square tubing?

I do not like how square tubing looks in place of round in this application. Have seen many square tube affairs on the front of Land Cruisers, Jeeps, and other trucks and think that they do not look anything as good as round tubing.

Get yourself a real tubing bender, and make one yourself!!

Good luck!

-Steve

Unfortunately, the deer around here tend to come in from the side. One of the ladies I work with had one jump through her windshield as she drove through a 20 mph school zone in the middle of town. You need a much fuller cage like that that completely surrounds your rig, 360 degrees. Maybe someone can generate a drawing for you..... :D

I agree with Steve, a buddy of mine (a very competent welder) did this exact thing on his 60. I'll look and see if I have pics, but it always reminded me of a cattle pusher on a steam engine.

[quote author=fsusteve link=board=1;threadid=9428;start=msg82280#msg82280 date=1072836898]
I agree with Steve, a buddy of mine (a very competent welder) did this exact thing on his 60. I'll look and see if I have pics, but it always reminded me of a cattle pusher on a steam engine.
[/quote]

Please do. I would like to see some square tubing photos.

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=9428;start=msg82262#msg82262 date=1072834371]
Unfortunately, the deer around here tend to come in from the side. One of the ladies I work with had one jump through her windshield as she drove through a 20 mph school zone in the middle of town. You need a much fuller cage like that that completely surrounds your rig, 360 degrees. Maybe someone can generate a drawing for you..... :D
[/quote]

Do I hear exoskeleton?

i do

IMHO the square tubing would not look good. Use round tubing and make it fit the front end with some curves. i.e. think three deminsional!

For a look alike ARB you best bet is to buy an ARB. I tried to make one for a 60 and soon found out that you just cant do it for what you can buy one for. If you have access to a bender and a lot of time and a powder coater you can make a good replica. I bet it will cost as much as a new ARB. The sq. tube is not as strong for weight as round.

Thing is: It is your truck. The only one that you need to make happy is you. If you have a welder and saw you can make a bad ass sq. tube bumper. It might be ugly but it will be yours. Go for it.

I made mine from a piece of 7" structural channel steel (fits nicely to the frame with a few spacers), 4" black pipe, 1" steel tubing, and some 5/16" plate steel. Total cost was about $70. Took about a weekend and have been pretty happy with it. It is stronger than anything I can buy. I had a friend do a FEA (Finite Element Analysis) and he said that it would withstand a 40 mph hit into a wall (not sure my body would though).

dd113 has the same opinion as myself: It's your truck, and you might be happier making something yourself than buying it. I have really enjoyed my rig because I have been able to learn and do stuff for myself - a very satisfying feeling.

Good luck and have fun.

Pic 1, initial concept:

Good looking bumper Mark, I'm going to build my own also. Did you double up your pieces of plate steel when you torched them, or did you take a card board template to the metal shop where they have a plasma-replicating table? When ever I torch something I can never get my copies exactly the same.

Nice bumper Mark. Have you thought of selling them? A lot of us don't have welding equipment to make stuff like that.

I really appreciate everyones opinions. Mark, that is a nice looking setup.

[quote author=folsom50 link=board=1;threadid=9428;start=msg82518#msg82518 date=1072884614]
.... When ever I torch something I can never get my copies exactly the same.
[/quote]

use a clamp to hold the two pieces together and grind them smooth that way that match :cheers:

[quote author=TJDIV link=board=1;threadid=9428;start=msg82615#msg82615 date=1072895734]
carry a gun and keep your eyes peeled.....after building the bumper.
[/quote]

And I recommend a good tarp so you don't attract the attention of a Fish and Game officer.

I actually used a band saw at work. I got lucky and picked up the 2 plates that were just the right size. I used a few dowel pins to keep them together while I cut (I had the same concern with having both halves cut the same). That by far was the longest part of the project (a few hours and a few blades).

I did the bumper several years ago before I learned how to weld (should have learned sooner). Fortunately, I worked at a place that had a shop. I asked one of the shop guys weld it for me - a case of beer goes a long way. It only took him about 15 minutes (the channel steel is fastened to the upper section with bolts so I could take it apart).

Thanks very much for the nice comments. I hope it encourages some to dive in and try it.

Happy new year!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom