4 years in the making new 80 Series Owner (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any ideas other than mine about the flare brackets being missing from the driver side rear flare? That nut always comes loose as I go down the road. OEM mud flaps if that matters.

View attachment 2711394

View attachment 2711395
I had a ram head butt mine in the same spot and broke the tab that the bolt goes through and it won't stay put like yours. When I looked at it, the fiberglass was broken around the tab hole. I was planning on using epoxy and some metal washers to rebuild the tab so it would hold the bolt in place when I install the new flare gaskets.

I had a ram head butt mine in the same spot and broke the tab that the bolt goes through and it won't stay put like yours. When I looked at it, the fiberglass was broken around the tab hole. I was planning on using epoxy and some metal washers to rebuild the tab so it would hold the bolt in place when I install the new flare gaskets.
I'm going to attack this in a week or two when the weather's nice, and see what happened underneath the fender. Taking off that side shouldn't be terrible. Was it an animal or a pickup truck? Haha if it was the former thats a cooler story than mine

Update time. Sent my 80 to a shop called Land Cruiser Heaven, Frank took good care of me, as well as his staff. I authorized them to respray the frame and differentials and remove the surface rust before it becomes serious. I also had them refresh the Rear Sliding windows on both sides with all new OEM parts that I supplied (not pictured). I wish I had the time to do bigger projects of my own but realistically I don't have the time being a family man as well as a full time UPS driver. Enjoy! Next thing on the list as we close the year up is rebuilding the Power Steering pump which I believe I will do myself. Alternator rebuild which I also believe doesn't look too bad of a DIY. I already have all of those parts. I will send the 80 to my mechanic to do one more thing. I will be replacing all of the suspension components such as bushings and hardware to tighten up the ride back to like new. Hope everyone is well, I know I'm pretty active on this forum, I find myself more on here than Facebook, you learn something new everyday here.

20211005_160849.jpg

20211005_160916.jpg

20211005_161011.jpg

Very nice. as far as power steering pump and alternator. Yep you won't have any issues doing those rebuilds yourself. all the info is available here and much easier than the instructions suggest. I tried to add some complication by doing some painting to make them look nice too.

You might find the bushings are not that complicated either. its just a time thing really.

Very nice job of bringing her back. The bushing are not complicated but a it's a big job getting the control arm in and out and you need a least a 20 ton press to press the bushings in and out.
For sure just let you mechanic do it and don't forget the pan hard bushing front and rear.
When you get them all done you well be very happy with the ride and handing improvements it's a game changer.
PS best color, same as mine but I went 180 from what you did LOL

Compression Results that the technician did, part of the inspection. Apparently the previous owner did a good job on the Head. Know you guys would like this information.

1631648705247683744169046106905.jpg

Update time. Sent my 80 to a shop called Land Cruiser Heaven, Frank took good care of me, as well as his staff. I authorized them to respray the frame and differentials and remove the surface rust before it becomes serious. I also had them refresh the Rear Sliding windows on both sides with all new OEM parts that I supplied (not pictured). I wish I had the time to do bigger projects of my own but realistically I don't have the time being a family man as well as a full time UPS driver. Enjoy! Next thing on the list as we close the year up is rebuilding the Power Steering pump which I believe I will do myself. Alternator rebuild which I also believe doesn't look too bad of a DIY. I already have all of those parts. I will send the 80 to my mechanic to do one more thing. I will be replacing all of the suspension components such as bushings and hardware to tighten up the ride back to like new. Hope everyone is well, I know I'm pretty active on this forum, I find myself more on here than Facebook, you learn something new everyday here.

View attachment 2804937

View attachment 2804938

View attachment 2804939
Look great, that's best color on an 80 IMO. Do you know if they applied a rust converter like Corroseal before repainting the underside?

Your going to have the nicest stock Fzj80 on here. That underside refinish looks really nice. Factory fresh ride will be great! The alternator brushes are a piece of cake once you get the alternator out. Change the belts while your there if you haven't already.

Look great, that's best color on an 80 IMO. Do you know if they applied a rust converter like Corroseal before repainting the underside?
Thank you very much, POR 15 was used, but it was steam cleaned, pressure washed, and gone over with a wire brush, rust converter applied, and then 3 coats of POR15. The differential housings are removed and gone over as well. I love this color, 6M1 for the win!

Your going to have the nicest stock Fzj80 on here. That underside refinish looks really nice. Factory fresh ride will be great! The alternator brushes are a piece of cake once you get the alternator out. Change the belts while your there if you haven't already.
I wouldn't go that far as far as the nicest stock 80 on here, theres some really sharp ones, but I appreciate the words. Lot of money put in but it's been such a rewarding process. The Alternator looks easy enough, belts have all been changed roughly 2 years ago this March.

Incredible! At first I didn’t know what to think about you keeping it stock and going down tire sizes…but I see your vision now and your cruiser looks so nice. Interior is unbelievable. I want.

You seized the opportunity and grabbed this rig even with the surface rust with a long-term vision in mind. Great work.

Incredible! At first I didn’t know what to think about you keeping it stock and going down tire sizes…but I see your vision now and your cruiser looks so nice. Interior is unbelievable. I want.

You seized the opportunity and grabbed this rig even with the surface rust with a long-term vision in mind. Great work.
Everything I do is with long term in mind, probably why I got into Land Cruisers in the first place, I'm glad I got into them before they became a hot commodity with BAT and the like.

I love the way this all turned out. I went back and forth on what I wanted to do, either to leave well enough alone or to really take this Cruiser to back how one would find it in the late '90s with a modern twist that made it my own. Only Cruiserheads on Mud would know that it didn't come original with steel steps and all brown leather. I appreciate the kind words and understanding what I set out to do with this Cruiser. She ain't for sale! I'll pass it down to my little guy before I sell.

20211005_164056.jpg

@TheRealDeal124 - OK, I gotta ask:

Where did Jr get the toy 80?

- And who did your wheel recover? — I like the perf’d leather.

@TheRealDeal124 - OK, I gotta ask:

Where did Jr get the toy 80?

- And who did your wheel recover? — I like the perf’d leather.
I ordered it for him after weeks of looking in the store. Amazon as a matter of fact.

Land Cruiser Heaven, pricey but they took care of me after I wanted to exchange products with them, so I didn't pay full price. I think it looks great and gives a different feel feedback when driving the 80.

I ordered it for him after weeks of looking in the store. Amazon as a matter of fact.

Land Cruiser Heaven, pricey but they took care of me after I wanted to exchange products with them, so I didn't pay full price. I think it looks great and gives a different feel feedback when driving the 80.
RealDeal...could you share any pricing from LCH? I'm looking at sending mine there for a freshening. Any bits or pieces of info you could share would be helpful. I'm expecting a big ticket, but not sure what to expect.

RealDeal...could you share any pricing from LCH? I'm looking at sending mine there for a freshening. Any bits or pieces of info you could share would be helpful. I'm expecting a big ticket, but not sure what to expect.
For the interior I paid whatever the list pricing was online plus shipping. As far as mechanical work goes, if I can't work on it then I send it to my mechanic who is local. I live in Illinois and LCH is located in Maryland so I paid to have the vehicle shipped to them. They work with a few towing companies and the company I worked with did an outstanding job getting my vehicle across country.

Price of course may vary depending on where you live. The undercoating which I described earlier was $2,500. They also charged me for the inspection and noted a few things the 80 needed. If you love Wit's End like I do, and buy their kits which include non factory hoses (Rear Heat Bypass, PHH, etc) then the inspector from LCH will say those need to be replaced. At least that's what my technician did. I informed them I have a mechanic who services the vehicle and refused the work.

I had the Sliding Rear Windows refreshed because of a prior leak and improper fix by the previous owner. My advice to you is if you don't have $10,000 laying around just for your Land Cruiser, do it little by little, and send your Land Cruiser to a shop for things you absolutely can't do. It adds up quick. I knew that going in.

At the end of the day, the total price of everything including shipping ($700 both ways) was around $4,500. The work they did was great, but transportation costs admittedly were a bit steeper than I anticipated. Helps if you can drop off your Land Cruiser or if you live local to them or another shop. If I knew about OLC 4x4 in Arizona I would've made a road trip out of it this past summer and had the work done then. Not sure if they do underbody coating. Arizona Cruisers are like new underneath. Hope this helps!

Do you happen to know what LCH did to treat existing rust before respray? Like sand blast or needle scaler ? Just curious. They are somewhat local to me and this is one job I'd be willing to pay someone else to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom