4 years in the making new 80 Series Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, I think they are lying or don't know what they are doing. None of that sounds right.
They told me parts are hard to find since these are hardly on the road anymore. I know several people on here and other places that daily drive their 80 series. The mechanic told me if I hadn't already bought it he wouldve told me to walk away. Needless to say I wont be going there anymore for things I cant handle myself. I did find a mom and pop shop mechanic that daily drives a Lexus LX450 on a UPS route that I cover.

They told me parts are hard to find since these are hardly on the road anymore. I know several people on here and other places that daily drive their 80 series. The mechanic told me if I hadn't already bought it he wouldve told me to walk away. Needless to say I wont be going there anymore for things I cant handle myself. I did find a mom and pop shop mechanic that daily drives a Lexus LX450 on a UPS route that I cover.
Parts are not hard to find at all if you plan ahead. I would do the front axle service myself if I was you. It was one of the first things I did when I got my truck and doing it right made me feel good about how it was done and I gained enough confidence to realize that I could do the vast majority of the work on these trucks myself. I am probably north of 1000 hours of my time and around $18K in parts and a little bit of machine shop work labor cost into mine, but it's pretty sweet and I wouldn't prefer to have a different vehicle for the foreseeable future.

Walk away from that shop. They obviously aren't enthusiasts and don't want to work on the landcruiser. It's like a vegan chef cooking your steak for you. There is no love there.

Looking at the pics of your cruiser, $12k isn't an unreasonable amount, especially in the rust belt. Looks like it's been repainted at some point, otherwise the clear coat would be flaking by now. X2 on tackling the knuckles first. They look like they like they need a rebuild. This is a right of passage for all landcruiser owners.
Complete kits with bearings and seals go for around $200.

The wool wax works great against rust prevention. I know this because I have a small flock of sheep that rub all over my vehicles to itch themselves and it looks like I polished the bumbers with armor all. They also do a great chamois buff on the rockers lol.

Parts are not hard to find at all if you plan ahead. I would do the front axle service myself if I was you. It was one of the first things I did when I got my truck and doing it right made me feel good about how it was done and I gained enough confidence to realize that I could do the vast majority of the work on these trucks myself. I am probably north of 1000 hours of my time and around $18K in parts and a little bit of machine shop work labor cost into mine, but it's pretty sweet and I wouldn't prefer to have a different vehicle for the foreseeable future.
I would do the front axle service but I don't have a garage so I'd be working outside and it wont be nice until around late april/early may, I'm a novice when it comes to rebuilding components of a vehicle but on the other hand theres no better time to learn and no better vehicle to learn on. Coming from the Jeep world it feels good knowing that if you fix it right once, it wont give you problems for a long time.

Walk away from that shop. They obviously aren't enthusiasts and don't want to work on the landcruiser. It's like a vegan chef cooking your steak for you. There is no love there.

Looking at the pics of your cruiser, $12k isn't an unreasonable amount, especially in the rust belt. Looks like it's been repainted at some point, otherwise the clear coat would be flaking by now. X2 on tackling the knuckles first. They look like they like they need a rebuild. This is a right of passage for all landcruiser owners.
Complete kits with bearings and seals go for around $200.

The wool wax works great against rust prevention. I know this because I have a small flock of sheep that rub all over my vehicles to itch themselves and it looks like I polished the bumbers with armor all. They also do a great chamois buff on the rockers lol.
I definitely wont be going there anymore, they are used to working on F-150s and Honda Civics. There isnt love there i could tell. I guess that's what happens after years of working on peoples cars.

The Land Cruiser spent the first 17 years in South Carolina, then It was brought here to Illinois.
So the Knuckle Rebuild is what this would be considered? I look up Rebuild Kits for the 80 Series and all of them dont have an option for Factory Front and Rear Lockers, just open diff, would this pose a problem if I got the kit that is for Open Diffs? What are some good places in 2020 to buy a good Differential Rebuild Kit? I looked at Cruiser Brothers kit they look like they have nice kits. Thanks again for the advice, glad I wasnt alone in my thinking after going to that shop.

I definitely wont be going there anymore, they are used to working on F-150s and Honda Civics. There isnt love there i could tell. I guess that's what happens after years of working on peoples cars.

The Land Cruiser spent the first 17 years in South Carolina, then It was brought here to Illinois.
So the Knuckle Rebuild is what this would be considered? I look up Rebuild Kits for the 80 Series and all of them dont have an option for Factory Front and Rear Lockers, just open diff, would this pose a problem if I got the kit that is for Open Diffs? What are some good places in 2020 to buy a good Differential Rebuild Kit? I looked at Cruiser Brothers kit they look like they have nice kits. Thanks again for the advice, glad I wasnt alone in my thinking after going to that shop.

At your current skill level, you should not try to tackle a differential rebuild. Those are left to folks like Toyota Gear Install Harrop. Zuk is the man. It is worth sending out the third member (differential) to have him rebuild it.

What you're looking for is an axle rebuild kit.
Knuckle Rebuild Kits
(Front Axle Overhaul Kits)

Front wheel bearings, seals, inner axle seals, knuckle seals, and possibly birfields and axle shafts.

You can definitely tackle this along with and FSM, assistance here and YouTube videos.

www.cruiseroutfitters.com @cruiseroutfit will have everything you need as well as expertise.

Other Toyota parts could be purchased from:

I think your confusing a knuckle rebuild with a differential rebuild. The "knuckles" are at both ends of the axle. The differential is in the center also referred to the "pumpkin". The differential which houses the gears usually requires a professional or expert mechanic to rebuild or modify with taller gears and or lockers. The knuckles or birfield joints have bearings, seals, and grease inside the knuckle housing and can be done as DIY.

Just looking at the birfields on your cruiser they look rusty and should look slightly greasy as the grease lubes the joints as you turn the steering wheel. Most high mile cruisers will have to have a birfield rebuild including new bearings, seals, and grease.

The differential is impossible to tell of any work to be done unless you drain the oil, remove the cover, and do an inspection. Hence the mechanic saying that the diffs need a rebuild without actually looking inside the differential housing first would be suspect. He must have been referring to the birfields or knuckles for rebuilding of which $5k would be highway robbery. If the birfield seal is bad, then the grease of the birfield and the oil of the diff will mix together and create a slimy green soup in both places, not good for either application and needs to be addressed ASAP.

I think your confusing a knuckle rebuild with a differential rebuild. The "knuckles" are at both ends of the axle. The differential is in the center also referred to the "pumpkin". The differential which houses the gears usually requires a professional or expert mechanic to rebuild or modify with taller gears and or lockers. The knuckles or birfield joints have bearings, seals, and grease inside the knuckle housing and can be done as DIY.

Just looking at the birfields on your cruiser they look rusty and should look slightly greasy as the grease lubes the joints as you turn the steering wheel. Most high mile cruisers will have to have a birfield rebuild including new bearings, seals, and grease.

The differential is impossible to tell of any work to be done unless you drain the oil, remove the cover, and do an inspection. Hence the mechanic saying that the diffs need a rebuild without actually looking inside the differential housing first would be suspect. He must have been referring to the birfields or knuckles for rebuilding of which $5k would be highway robbery. If the birfield seal is bad, then the grease of the birfield and the oil of the diff will mix together and create a slimy green soup in both places, not good for either application and needs to be addressed ASAP.
YES! I know what a Birfield Joint is, didnt know they were also referred to as Knuckles too, makes perfect sense now. Yeah the differential is the center pumpkin when the gears and lockers are. I could definitely do the Birfield Joints, the differential I'd definitely leave for a professional.

Some pictures for you guys as my 80 gets worked on as I'm delivering in the big brown truck! I decided to get the work done by someone else as my time off is limited to being with the family and my 9 month old baby boy. I got the full tune up kit from Land Cruiser Heaven and my mechanic bought the Low Range Offroad Knuckle rebuild kit with new wheel bearings and all. Things are going well, everything is easy to take off, and no drama thus far. He did flush my coolant as it was dirty, he suggested to me to replace my radiator hoses so I called up Wits End last night and ordered them Next Day Air. Incredible customer service from the guys over there, they went above and beyond to get my parts ordered after some difficulties with their web site. Will definitely be ordering from them again. The Mechanic told me everything else looks good, no need to replace the Radiator although I will plan on replacing the entire cooling system or at least having the parts ready to replace. Hes doing the Knuckles today. Hes charging me $1250 parts and labor for everything which I thought was a fair deal. Okay enough of me rambling I've got 40 deliveries left, yall have a great day and weekend now.

61986.jpeg

62054.jpeg

More pictures of all the work done. He also changed the front differential fluid and checked my transfer case and rear differential fluid as well, all are well. So I head to the wash, gave the 80 a deep clean and took note of any imperfections. I go eat and then go to turn on the 80 and the starter was ticking, it eventually started. Just ordered a starter from Wits End and will be installing that this week on my own. Seems simple enough once I remove the front drivers side tire.

62188.jpeg

62187.jpeg

62183.jpeg

I also looked at the sticker for my rear springs. They are the OME 863 springs, with no weight in the rear not even a third row. Rides like crap, will be buying the factory height OME springs very soon

Wow so huge update time. I scored either 40th or Collectors Edition california rig wheels from a local guy around here, the inside spokes are gray in color instead of silver like the rest of the wheel. I replaced the starter and antenna with OEM parts, the interior leather from Land Cruiser Heaven, the tires (285/75R16), OEM Tokico shocks, OME Factory Height coils, did a full tune up using only OEM parts, Slee Slidersteps which i got back in March. The 80 also got all 3 Radiator hoses and all the fluids were checked and looked great. My radiator and water pump are doing their job as well. I did delete the rear heater hose and the infamous Pesky Heater Hose. Currently she sits in a storage unit because she is way too tall for my small garage. In the spring time she will be getting a new Rear Main Seal, OEM Catalytic Converters and Muffer and Rear Locking Differential Actuator. Some of the cosmetic things I did were minor but worth noting. I purchased all new Mud Flaps which I think look great. I also got the rear tailgate chrome trim piece. I also want to replace both sliding window seals as I've discovered a small bit of rust at the bottom of the wheel well as well as in the inside panel. I sprayed that area with Fluid Film to hold off the rust. I sprayed the entire underside in FF as I've always done with the 4x4s I've owned. Dont worry I will post pictures of how the Land Cruiser looks now since I've posted it back in February! She gets waxed and claybar twice a year. Im very OCD about vehicles and this 80 hasn't helped that.

The unit shes at. I went with all brown leather. Center console and arm rests as well. My Land Cruiser came with the other center console so I had to switch them out. Filled up the tank, and disconnected the battery.

20201213_114559.jpg

20201213_112644.jpg

20201213_113248.jpg

Almost forgot about the steering wheel! Perforated and matches the rest of the interior. Previous owner had a Camry rubber wheel, I kept it. Only qualm I have with the rear seat is I lost my arm rests. The installer put the leather over the arm rests, he claims there was no additional leather to recover the arm rests. Not a big deal, but eventually I'll get that fixed. Rare that anyone sits back there.

20201121_154411.jpg

20201031_105241.jpg

20201031_105207.jpg

Cruiser looks awsome. You have my landcruiser's twin. I really like that you've done with yours. Keep it stock and showroom condition. I've got to check out the McGeorge Toyota site, my local dealer is a bit expensive on oem parts.

Last edited:
Cruiser looks awsome. You have my landcruiser's twin. I really like that you've done with yours. Keep it stock and showroom condition. I've got to check out the McGeorge Toyota site, my local dealer is a bit expensive on oem parts.
Much appreciated! I originally was going to wait to throw money at parts but since the 300 will be a Lexus I decided to invest in the 80. I love the look and color and feel of this Land Cruiser when im driving it. Wouldn't say its showroom condition but as close as it gets for being 26 years old now. Eventually she will get paint correction as well as touching up the surface rust on a few parts of the frame. Yeah McGeorge is a pretty easy site to navigate for parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom