4 years in the making new 80 Series Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheRealDeal124

GOLD Star
Threads
On Saturday I purchased something I've been wanting to get my hands on for a long time. A Toyota Land Cruiser. After years of research and envy and reading many posts on here and buying books and magazines about Land Cruisers I finally have one to call my own. Up until I found out what a Land Cruiser was I was a die hard Jeep owner. I owned a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon or the LJ, I had one big trip with it. I built it up and wheeled it. The one trip I took it on I just couldnt trust it. It wasn't something I'd want to drive across country because I knew something would break. I wanted something that was comfortable and reliable while retaining the capability I had grown used to. I began to research various years of Land Cruisers and set my sights on an 80 series, the Golden Hour Land Cruiser. They are hard to find in nice condition especially in Illinois where I'm from. On Saturday I had no idea I would be purchasing the Cruiser. I simply went and took a look and expected it to be a rusty 25 year old truck that a dealer just wanted to be rid of. Boy was I wrong. I knew if I didnt purchase her at the time she wouldnt last long. I pulled the trigger. And I couldnt have been happier since. I'm going into this eyes wide open, I know this a 25 year old 4x4, and I'm willing to give her all the love and attention she needs to give me another 25 years. I intend on keeping her for years to come. I dont expect it to be cheap, and I know this thing is worth every dime I put into her. Without further ado here are some pictures. Sorry for the long first post on here.

20200126_160505.jpg

20200126_160521.jpg

20200126_160536.jpg

20200126_155952.jpg

20200127_121002.jpg

Nice truck...burn those wheels tho! Official Mud salute:flipoff2:

This is a 1995 FZJ80 with 188k miles on her, 3 owners, first one owned it for 17 years, then 2 owners owned her for a few years before Saturday. Emerald Pearl is the color, all factory VIN etched windows except the windshield, drivers seat leather has been replaced. Head Gasket was changed at 172k miles. The first owner took the Cruiser to the dealer a lot for service. There is a lift and 35s on the Land Cruiser, which I will be removing and replacing with OEM wheels and factory size tires and an OME factory height lift. I want to keep this ol girl as stock as possible for now so I know what I really need to modify as time goes on. I've already ordered window motors for all 4 windows, sunroof is still questionable as to how I'll repair. It opens slow. Oil Pressure Gauge doesn't work. I'm also a member of the "No D light" club that I read about last night. Rear tailgate struts have also been ordered. The frame and differentials are in good shape for being 25 years old. The body is also in good shape as well as the paint. The rear tailgate has a small rust bubble that will be addressed before summer. This will strictly be a weekend vehicle and garaged/not driven during the winter. I applied Fluid Film to the underbody with just the can. I also orderd 2 factory keys that I got tonight. It came with no third row which I didnt mind as I wouldve taken it out anyways. Overall a very solid vehicle that I cannot wait to tinker with and enjoy for many years to come. 🍻

I have not tested the Lockers yet, the indicators come on but I need to find a gravel area that I can actually test them on.

Lights coming on are a good sign.
I wouldnt be surprised if they worked. The previous owner who did the HG and the OME lift owned acres of land and wheeled it. Not hard judging by the underbody and the factory side steps, but probably enough to use the lockers.

Oh I forgot about the Radio. Someone installed a Touch Screen Pioneer radio in here as well. Will post more pictures tommorow. First time I've had a touch screen as a radio. Also the first time I've had a solid key, all the others had plastic on them, including my DD '99 Rav4. Not the first toyota I've owned, nor the first 4x4. I've owned a 2003 Jeep Liberty, 1998 Jeep Cherokee, and the 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Then I got smart and got a 1999 Toyota Rav4 as a daily and now the best 4x4 ever made.

Sounds like you love the 80 which tells me this 80 has found a good home. Congrats!

Btw, not sure what keys you ordered but the factory originals are NLA at least the ones for my ‘97 are.

If the windshield isn’t original, just be aware it may not have been installed right with a possibility of rust underneath. Keep an eye out.

Sounds like you love the 80 which tells me this 80 has found a good home. Congrats!

Btw, not sure what keys you ordered but the factory originals are NLA at least the ones for my ‘97 are.

If the windshield isn’t original, just be aware it may not have been installed right with a possibility of rust underneath. Keep an eye out.
Thank you! Shes home to stay that's for sure.

I'll post a picture of the keys I got. Mines a '95 not sure if they changed them from then onwards.

I'll keep an eye on it, to my knowledge it isnt original but not being too familiar I may have missed the factory sticker.

Congrats on the 80, it looks great and well worth the years of attention you'll put into it. A lot of us here share a similar enthusiasm for our trucks though it can take many different forms.

Keep the pictures and updates coming.

Oil Pressure Gauge doesn't work. 🍻

Welcome to the disease! As someone who just went through this, and wasted some time...

The dash gauge is notoriously inaccurate and s***e. Also, the sending unit can be bad, I ordered a new one from wits-end. The thread size for the oil sending unit is 1/8 BSPT. Manually check your oil pressure for peace of mind. I got the kit from Harbor Freight and it worked great.

If you want to use a manual gauge along with your dash...

This guy here should do the trick.
1/8BSPT T-Adapter

Nice looking rig and good find on your part!

welcome :cheers:

Nice find. Make sure you keep it from rusting out in Illinois and it will hopefully serve you well.

Welcome to the disease! As someone who just went through this, and wasted some time...

The dash gauge is notoriously inaccurate and s***e. Also, the sending unit can be bad, I ordered a new one from wits-end. The thread size for the oil sending unit is 1/8 BSPT. Manually check your oil pressure for peace of mind. I got the kit from Harbor Freight and it worked great.

If you want to use a manual gauge along with your dash...

This guy here should do the trick.
1/8BSPT T-Adapter

Nice looking rig and good find on your part!
Thank you I appreciate it! And yeah I'm at Discount tire right now doing this thing some justice!

In one of the pics, it looks like some rust flaking on the bottom. Where is that? The bottom of the rocker or the running board?

In one of the pics, it looks like some rust flaking on the bottom. Where is that? The bottom of the rocker or the running board?
Yeah that's the running board. They are crusty to say the least. Replacing those. Not sure with what. I want to keep it stock as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom