4 wheel parts wheels rub calipers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I called us wheel. They can make the "flat spoked" wheel in a custom backspace. The part number is "78-5860 custom BS" and then specifiy the back spacing you want. 78 means it is flat spoked and unpainted. 5860 specifies 15x8, 6x5.5.

Because they come unpainted I will probably have to get them powder coated. This makes me inclined to buy a spacer or grind the caliper.

I would still like to see a picture of how you grind the calipers for the 4 wheel parts wheels? Anybody got a picture?

Failing that-- what is a source for the 1/4 inch spacer?

Thanks

Jared

Hey Jared,

F*&#in amazing, discount tire has now decided after over 3 months of dealing with their sh8t that they don't want to powdercoat the rims black like they promised me! How much does us wheel want for the above rims? I am thinking I am going to just buy them direct and rattle can the crap out of them.

fu&^ing steaming mad right now!

Noah :flipoff2:

That sucks

I didn't discuss price with US Wheel. They said I would have to go and order the wheels from discount tire or another vender.

BTW, I mentioned rattle caning the wheels with US Wheel, and the guy said it was a bad idea-- he said the heat will make the paint flake off. Sounds sort of unlikely-- seems like lots of people paint wheels. Maybe "barbaque grill high temp black" would work. :)

Have you got a price on powder coating?-- my guess is that it is pretty pricey--probably why discount is bailing on you.

BTW, what style are your wheels--are they one of the two shown in this thread? Have you confirmed caliper clearage?

Jared

SJPitts - I'm dealing with the same exact problem right now. Just received 4 PCW 51-5883S3.5 wheels and they don't fit - hitting the caliper. Might go the US Wheel approach, might just have what I have now powder coated.

PNWFJ

really just grind the calipers, your prolly stuck with the wheels as 4WP sucks

pnwfj said:
SJPitts - I'm dealing with the same exact problem right now. Just received 4 PCW 51-5883S3.5 wheels and they don't fit - hitting the caliper. Might go the US Wheel approach, might just have what I have now powder coated.

PNWFJ

I just got a set of white spokes from US Wheel with 3.75 back spacing and the weigths rub on the TRE's. I have used 1/4 inch spacers for years with no problems. I suppose if you're that nervous about it you can change to longer studs. Other wise you should be OK if you check them every so often.

Here's my 3 cents. Don't grind rims, those d-lips are reinforcements. I think I would rather lose my brakes than a front tire, maybe. On the black rockcrawlers from 4 wheel parts, the back spacing does not matter with respect to the caliper clearance issue. The center ring of the rim has the same angles and size on any of this brand of 15" rim, they are just welded to different spots on the outer part of the rim itself. I'm running 1991 V6 4runner calipers and those rims with 2.75" BS. Grinding and 0.25" spacers were in order for any clearance. 4 wheel parts may be cheap for rims and tires, but they are a bunch of jeep minded rubberheads. Seems like after so many complaints they would say "that those rims will not fit your cruiser, but these wagon wheels will".

Guys,

I bought my wheels according to this thread

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197981&highlight=summit+wheels

I called up summit, talked to them, the kid called US Wheel, figured out what he needed to do and then ordered them. I bought 15x10 with 3in BS. and yes the D cut out hits the caliper. just need to do a bit of grinding and away we go. i think unpainted they were $$52 dollars a piece shipped UPS to my work. I got them in about 2 weeks. USWheel had them made up that DAY and sent out! the deal is you can not return them though. just some more info for the fire.

Stew

I have the 4WP TEC1 3.5" BS wheels on my FJ60...they fit with stock calipers, but when I put the '92 V6 calipers, I got the rubbing at the center of the D-hole. I hate spacers, didn't want to grind new calipers...I put a flat washer between the caliper and knuckle (for each of the two mounting bolts) which spaces the caliper back from the wheel just enough to prevent the rubbing. Over two years now and no problems. Simple, effective, and reversible.

Steve

Thanks for the thread. Y'all have just convinced me to go with 16 x 8 inch wheels.

I ordered a set of custom 16" wheels with 2-1/2" backspacing and had the same rubbing problem. It turned out to be the torque ring built into the center of the wheel, which provides tension for the lug nuts. The kicker is, there are two styles of torque ring centers floating around. One has a narrow ring, and this requires only minor grinding to clear the caliper. The other has a wide torque ring and this puppy requires some heavy duty grinding to gain clearance. On the one I did, the caliper broke off at the mounting ears the first time I tried it. I think the wheel flexed slightly and that was enough for it to rub and then break the calipers. I ended up using 3/16" spacers, which are sufficient for clearance and also leave enough threads to snug down the lug nuts to 100-120 ft./lbs. The other and better solution is to order double centered wheels, which is just what it sounds like, the spacer plate welded right to the wheel so the clearance is built in, rather than having a loose part. Either way the extra spacing works for both the narrow and wide torque ring. As always, YMMV.

Bullfrog

Grind the Calipers..

I had an aluminum wheel 15x8 on my cruiser for a while, then i put on some wider tires with the same exact wheel, Just wider 15x12.. The 12" wide wheels (Same Backspace, Same Style wheel) Stuck on the calipers..

Took out a pencil grinder and took off about 1/8 inch on the caliper

Grinding calipers is no biggie. However, I would never use a shim-type spacer. I know some have said that their setup appears to be working OK. I will never feel comfortable spreading the load over fewer threads. If you use a shim, you are causing a greater chance of stretching the threads that you do engage, or even ruining them. Torqueing them to the same setting could even strip the threads. This is why I prefer to use adapters over shims. Use of adapters also opens a whole new world of wheel choices.

I went through this whole process as well and it was a PIA so I feel you pain. I however am using T100 calipers and they are much bigger. All of the rims I tried with the D style openings all hit because of the angle of the inner rim and the lip on the D opening. Finally I ordered a set from Summit, custom made, backspaced to my specs, they were super cheap, like $20 pc, painted them with some hammerite and no problems. The issue again is with those d openings and the angle of the interior rim.

Noah

About Wheel sizes

First of all, I'd like to say hello to all tell you guys that I ran into this site from some stranger that referred me. I own a 1975 FJ40 and typically use it as a daily driver and weekend warrior toy. I live in Seal Beach California where my LC and I roam the streets of Ol Towne.
I was reading some of your comments on wheel size and I ran into many "tire and wheel" stores that had no clue what size wheel would fit on my cruiser. Many told me it was the same bolt pattern as a K5 chevy and other told me ...well just spurted out any brand that came to mind. I ended up with an old pair of American Racing wheels that were sitting in a corner of a wheel warehouse that had been around for 30 years. The wheels looked like they had been sitting there for 20 of those years. To make a long story short, I had all the problems that you all have encountered and my question to you all is .... can't you just go to 16" wheels and eliminate and clearance issues with the caliper and tie rod?

Last edited:
I ordered 16x8 rockcrawler from 4wp in black at a really good price seems like $60 each shipped with no probs even with 4 wheel discs.
I like 16" so I can use 285/ off my work trucks.
Just my .o2

Anyone know what P/ns they used

Does anyone know what the recent p/ns are and what BS you went with. I have an old set of black RockCrawlers from 4wheel parts that fit my 60 and 40 no problem but need to get a new set. I am unsure if I want 15 or 16 diam. Can anyone offer the workable P/Ns.

THansk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom