3FE Question, overheat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my way to work on the freeway this morning, and all of a sudden belts start squeeling. The squeeling stops and my tempature hits the red. I shut it off and limp it off the freeway. Radiator overfull is overflowing. It will start up, put will heat up almost instantly. What went out? Waterpump? I need to diagnose what happened so I can order parts while I am here at work. Can anyone lend a thought or opinion? Mucho appreciated. Truck is a 89 FJ62, bone stock motor, 3FE.
Thanks,
Russell

Hmmm. My experience with failed waterpumps was not pleasant: the shaft sheared off, driving the fan into the radiator! There really isn't too much to fail on a waterpump, but.... Try pulling the thermostat out and then running it. If it still overheats, then it's probably your pump.

as i was just informed of... might as well check the fan clutch while you are in there... about $140 from the dealer. i was told to stay away from aftermarket fan clutches.

After you get the water pump sorted out, monitor the cylinder head gasket closely, 2F and 3F heads do not like to get hot. The cylinder head could be warped.

I am a little worried about the head and possible warpage. I just orderd the new water pump along with all new belts, hoses, and t-stat. As soon as I saw the gauge move up, I shut it down before it hit the red, and had to start it up and drive it for about 30 seconds to get it to the parking lot and off the freeway. So I am not sure if I overdid it on the heat, hopefully not. I will tear it down tonight and wait for the parts to come in. Anyone know if the radiator needs to come out to get to the waterpump and possible replacement of the fan clutch?
Thanks for the help and input

Russ

How would a stuck thermostat or a bad fan clutch make the belt squeel?

Loosen the belt, feel how hard the water pump shaft is to turn because the bearing is fried, then replace the pump! .02 :)

someone once told me that the waterpump was either working or totally busted, there is no in between... is there truth to this?

Theo nailed it.

No truth to the "pump" "no pump" stories. Water pumps in fact tend to be just the opposite ... rather than going all at once will give clues such as leaking bearings and poor cooling but not zero cooling. Stumper, it sounds very much like the impeller may have wedged or sheared a piece of itself off and locked up. I doubt t-stat or anything else because of the squeel you mention. Not likely but be sure the alternator isn't the thing that locked. Even with the belt still on you should be able to turn each enough to know if it's locked or not.

Thanks for the info everyone. I got into it last night and got the radiator and surrounding parts out. The pump was leaking all over the ground, so i am pretty confident that the pump has gone out. All the other components, alternator, ps pump, ect..seem to be ok. Anyone have any idea how to get the WP pulley...I am assuming in I need a puller to get it out. I have everything off, fan, fan clutch...and got down to the pulley but I dont see a large nut or any other fastener holding it on.
Thanks again for all the info.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom