3FE Owners Check-In (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wondering if I can get peoples feedback about there experience with the 3fe engine on there 80 series.. I am looking into one with 147k miles and I hear so many people telling me to stay away from 91 and 92. So any help would be greatly appreciated
It's a 30 year old rig with lots of old and many discontinued parts. My experience has been they are hella-fun, when everything is up to snuff and working properly. Depending on its prior maintainence, you can and probably will spend a lot of money getting things sorted out right, depending on your expectations. Depending on your ability to do your own wrenching or not should be a big factor in your decision. Mechanics knowledgeable and willing to work on them can be a tough find, from what I hear second-hand. The FSM is a must if wrenching yourself, as is the discipline to read and learn from it, as well as the help to be found here on MUD.

I live in an area where a very short drive gets me into the high country very quickly- I don't need to drive more than a few miles to be off the pavement. I don't need to keep up with traffic on freeways, and it won't ever be a cheap fill at the gas station (smiles per gallon vs. miles per gallon). As has been said on this forum, it is a tractor motor with 1st generation fuel injection technology. Don't expect performance comparable to even 20 year old vehicles.

In short, it depends what you want it for, how much time and money you are willing to throw at it, and for what purpose it is to be used.

Cheers, and good luck!

Wondering if I can get peoples feedback about there experience with the 3fe engine on there 80 series.. I am looking into one with 147k miles and I hear so many people telling me to stay away from 91 and 92. So any help would be greatly appreciated
I have a '91. Got it back in 2016, bone stock, with less than 300k miles on the clock. Just about to cross over 400k. I love it. After some much needed maintenance and baselining as well as some mods, it will take me anywhere(ish)... Slowly. That's the point though, right? Enjoy your trip. I regret nothing. I like that you actually need to drive the truck. Not just another passenger.

I have a '91. Got it back in 2016, bone stock, with less than 300k miles on the clock. Just about to cross over 400k. I love it. After some much needed maintenance and baselining as well as some mods, it will take me anywhere(ish)... Slowly. That's the point though, right? Enjoy your trip. I regret nothing. I like that you actually need to drive the truck. Not just another passenger.
Pics of your truck?

@ethingnow I would get a carfax. I ran through over a dozen fj80 adds with "low miles" only to find out the actual miles were over 300k. Roll backs are very common in Norcal apparently (my search area).

3FE dont have full float rear axle either which is a really nice upgrade. I like the felt seats better though and consider the 3FE the last version of classic land cruisers. Still more rugged and basic but has power windows and A/C. You will be happy if you get one, they are a reliable do-anything breed just like the rest.

@ethingnow I would get a carfax. I ran through over a dozen fj80 adds with "low miles" only to find out the actual miles were over 300k. Roll backs are very common in Norcal apparently (my search area).

3FE dont have full float rear axle either which is a really nice upgrade. I like the felt seats better though and consider the 3FE the last version of classic land cruisers. Still more rugged and basic but has power windows and A/C. You will be happy if you get one, they are a reliable do-anything breed just like the rest.
What’s the big deal about the rear floating axle? Is it a big issue? New to all this.. I can always switch it out if I neee too

What’s the big deal about the rear floating axle? Is it a big issue? New to all this.. I can always switch it out if I neee too
I don't believe it is a big deal. I have been running my semi float for 7 yrs now and been wheeling it pretty hard on 37s and never broken an axle before. The drum brakes stop well after you adjust your LSPV if lifted....

I don't believe it is a big deal. I have been running my semi float for 7 yrs now and been wheeling it pretty hard on 37s and never broken an axle before. The drum brakes stop well after you adjust your LSPV if lifted....
If I’m not off roading and just work driving it I shouldn’t worry at all?

Do you have a pic?
20220912_122356.jpg

I am bad at getting side profile pictures of regular ride height, but I can probably get some more after work. Note, 37s work great and fit well, but I wouldn't consider it a slap on deal.

IMG_20211212_100148_404.jpg

Someone told me the only Time you regear is when you are off roading or going uphill a lot
True, unless you live in FL....you are not gonna be able to avoid hills. Regear will put your oversize tires closer to factory spec. Your engine and tranny will thank you plus not to mention your MPG will be affected as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom