3FE Owners Check-In (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wondering if I can get peoples feedback about there experience with the 3fe engine on there 80 series.. I am looking into one with 147k miles and I hear so many people telling me to stay away from 91 and 92. So any help would be greatly appreciated
Well, this is the one thread where you’ll find lots of love for it.
Pros-
low end torque
Doesn’t blow head gasket
Lasts a long time (300-500k if maintained)
Sounds cool
Cheaper than fzj80
Styling- more truck, less soccer mom machine

Cons-
Slow - you’ll find yourself motivated to mess with every little thing that might improve performance (wait is this a con or a pro?)

Doesn’t come triple locked (see cheaper)

I have one and the engine is fine. The transmission is the questionable piece. BUT.

Desmog it
Keep in maintained (engine and trans)
Dial in the transmission shift cable near the throttle cable

...and it works pretty good. The FZ certainly has a bit more power and the transmission seems better, but a 91 and 92 FJ80 is a fine land cruiser

I have one and the engine is fine. The transmission is the questionable piece. BUT.

Desmog it
Keep in maintained (engine and trans)
Dial in the transmission shift cable near the throttle cable

...and it works pretty good. The FZ certainly has a bit more power and the transmission seems better, but a 91 and 92 FJ80 is a fine land cruiser
Thank you guys for your reply, now there is one that is no rust California life good shape, 147k miles they want 10k. You think that’s a fair price?

probably. how is the maintenance history? The seats can be a good sign of how hard a life it has had. watch for rust if it was near the ocean

probably. how is the maintenance history? The seats can be a good sign of how hard a life it has had. watch for rust if it was near the ocean
So the guy got hurt and can’t drive anymore so a reputable land cruiser off road people are selling it for him. It needs a good cleaning.

6CEC7B20-C98C-4793-9FCB-BC81FB449D6A.jpeg

AC7E09B7-2B32-4896-9FD6-0A8116C76DB5.jpeg

41AC3595-B93A-49F9-B4B2-02D63CC25E85.jpeg

B334A29C-CCB6-40A3-811D-56FEB51B65E3.jpeg

E72A7E2C-761C-45F5-859A-1C467C28D0E8.jpeg

Looks alot like mine use too. Depending on the undercarriage, it looks fine. Can you drive it?

Depends if you have the money. I used uship.com to reverse auction the shipping project.

You could drive it, assuming you are confident in its ability

Depends if you have the money. I used uship.com to reverse auction the shipping project.

You could drive it, assuming you are confident in its ability
How much did u get yours for, beautiful rig.. also if u notice on driver seat for the one I’m looking at, the side is ripped.. anyway to fix that?

Wondering if I can get peoples feedback about there experience with the 3fe engine on there 80 series.. I am looking into one with 147k miles and I hear so many people telling me to stay away from 91 and 92. So any help would be greatly appreciated
Put it this way, unless you are running a V8 swap or FI, any 6 cylinder powered 80s will be slow in modern standards. There are pros and cons for any engine platforms, do a search on MUD and you will see the majority of ppl have 1fz-fe due to production numbers. It all comes down to what you want out of your rig... Personally, I have owned my 3FE for over 7 yrs and I love it. Simplicity and reliability is key for me.

Put it this way, unless you are running a V8 swap or FI, any 6 cylinder powered 80s will be slow in modern standards. There are pros and cons for any engine platforms, do a search on MUD and you will see the majority of ppl have 1fz-fe due to production numbers. It all comes down to what you want out of your rig... Personally, I have owned my 3FE for over 7 yrs and I love it. Simplicity and reliability is key for me
Well said I’m looking for simple and reliable as well. I just want to lift it 2 inches and put 35’s and drive it to work and home

Put it this way, unless you are running a V8 swap or FI, any 6 cylinder powered 80s will be slow in modern standards. There are pros and cons for any engine platforms, do a search on MUD and you will see the majority of ppl have 1fz-fe due to production numbers. It all comes down to what you want out of your rig... Personally, I have owned my 3FE for over 7 yrs and I love it. Simplicity and reliability is key for me.
Do you have pics of yours

I pad $13k for it stock, including the arb bumper. I think that was a deal

I don't think it's unreasonable given the prices of any land cruiser nowadays. I bought mine at 180k and even though it was "low miles" I spent a solid 6 months dialing everything in. So be prepared for maintenance no matter what. Being 30+ year old trucks, some parts just go bad.

I don't think it's unreasonable given the prices of any land cruiser nowadays. I bought mine at 180k and even though it was "low miles" I spent a solid 6 months dialing everything in. So be prepared for maintenance no matter what. Being 30+ year old trucks, some parts just go bad.
Is it hard finding parts for it? The 91 and 92?

I haven't ran into anything that had failed that I couldn't find a replacement for yet.

But I have some good used parts that I've had to install instead of new, and I've had to reuse parts that I would've rather replaced but they aren't made anymore.
Oh ok I’m hoping we can still find parts 10 years from now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom