3FE Owners Check-In (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really nice 91 FJ80 in original condition on Craigslist dealership ad. One of the nicest low mile 91's I have seen. Probably worth top dollar but not what they are asking. Hope to see these nice FJ80's reach the values and appreciation of the 60/62 cult one day.

Really nice 91 FJ80 in original condition on Craigslist dealership ad. One of the nicest low mile 91's I have seen. Probably worth top dollar but not what they are asking. Hope to see these nice FJ80's reach the values and appreciation of the 60/62 cult one day.

My 1991 is in that shape. although I have about 40k more miles. I hope they do start going for 60s money. But also that means it will be harder to get a second fj80....

also thats really high for that one I feel like.

First post as an 80 owner. Got this rust free 91 with a lame 3FE for cheap, to replace rusted 60. It started & drove onto the trailer, but has 1 or 2 dead cylinders, no coolant in radiator, coolant coming out tailpipe.

Further investigation turns up a newer water pump, hoses, belts. But the alternator lower pivot bolt was not tightened, so the nut fell off, then the pivot bolt backed out until the alternator fell against the side of the engine. No belt tension means no fan or water pumping, so massive overheat event.

If 3FE head is OK, then it will just be repaired & driven as stock for now.
If head is cracked, then the entire FJ60 drivetrain goes in: 4.5L 2F, H55, 38mm splitcase.
If 3FE head is good, then long-term plan is 4.5L 2FE, H55, splitcase.
IMG_20200208_004018.jpg

Does anyone know the part number for the power steering idler pulley
I don't know the part number for the pulley itself but the bearing in the PS idler is replaceable, if that's your issue.

I ordered this one and replaced the bearing in mine with simple hand tools. Perfect fit and dimensionally an exact match to the old bearing.
Amazon product ASIN B07T86KZ8B
Hope this helps.

-K

91' with 185k (owned since 150k)
OME stock height suspension
33 x 10.5 KO2's on stock rims
Daily driver

Nothing special other than she's mine, mostly just a bunch of PM - fluids, filters, belts, hoses, tune up, timing etc. Replaced alternator, radiator, water pump, brakes, oil pan gasket. PS pump rebuild.

To do - Birf service, vacuum lines, remedy slow windows, hand the keys to my daughter when she gets her license in 15 years ;)

First time FJ80 owner here.. picked up a ‘91 w/ 152k on the odo about a week ago, pretty good shape and bone stock aside from arb air lockers front and rear .. hefty to do list piling up.. first purchase was the Toyota full service manual on eBay.. (anyone got a link to a PDF by chance??)

41DA5620-BC55-4239-A33F-8F2B3545A72E.jpeg

First time FJ80 owner here.. picked up a ‘91 w/ 152k on the odo about a week ago, pretty good shape and bone stock aside from arb air lockers front and rear .. hefty to do list piling up.. first purchase was the Toyota full service manual on eBay.. (anyone got a link to a PDF by chance??)

You need the 3F manual from like '84, and the 3FE addon covers all 3FE-specific things.
You'll also want the A440F manual, which should be under the google drive link there somewhere.

Welcome to Hotel Toyota!

You need the 3F manual from like '84, and the 3FE addon covers all 3FE-specific things.
You'll also want the A440F manual, which should be under the google drive link there somewhere.

Welcome to Hotel Toyota!
You’re the man!!! Much appreciated sir

Wanted to do a little update on my rig, I finally found a new set of wheels, they were off of a '13 fj cruiser, and another first for the ole girl was some snow driving, apparently (from what both previous owners said) she has never been driven in the snow, and it was actually my first time driving in the snow as well,
happy Cruisin'
20200208_091826.jpg
20200208_080814.jpg

20200120_214026.jpg
20200121_140441.jpg

As a general PSA make sure to include the Oil Galley Plug fix on your PM list if you haven't done so already on your 3FEs. I had mine go out and lost 5 out of 8 qrts of oil as I pulled into my garage. There was no indication that it had happened other then when I got out of my truck and saw a nice oil trail leading up to it. I had not watched my oil gauge as some have pointed out to watch for. The fix is pretty simple to do (~ $30 if you have to buy tap, set screw, threadlocker, and any other materials). This is such an easy fix for such a catastrophic failure.

I'm back in a 91. Picked it up with 179k miles on it. Decent leak coming from the far front on the drivers side. Haven't figured out if its oil or power steering fluid. Check engine light come on intermediate, otherwise seems solid. Took off all the bolted on accessories and cleaned it up a bit. First thing to tackle is the leak and a 3Fe tune up. Looking forward to fixing it up so I can hit the trails here in AZ!

IMG_8894.PNG

IMG_0952.jpg

Had to post an update here at the 3FE discussion section:

My 1991, rust free, 124k mile, one owner, California sourced 3FE "preservation" is done. The wife wanted a Wagoneer (like all wife's do) but we stumbled upon this sad 1991 looking for a kid car. We loved the patina on the desert-baked paint. I was convinced I could get the interior and other bits back in shape while hand polishing that paint. Thank goodness I was correct. We think it looks pretty good. The paint is like a skin.

I ended up buying a second vehicle (1992) for the bumpers, dash, and other bits I needed which ended up much cheaper than buying the individual parts used, salvage, or OEM new. The "parts" rig ended up being a great "driver" quality for my Kid so I spent two months getting it ready for his 16th birthday surprise. (another build thread) This 1991 was just too original and nice to risk a fender bender with a kid driving it so he gets to start with the 1992 with a little rust.

Now that I think I am finished with this 91 "preservation" We are just going to enjoy it for a while. I would still consider a trade for a nice similar condition Grand Wagoneer. I think I will wait and see what the new 2022 Grand Wagoneer looks like. If Jeep hits a home run then maybe momma gets a new Wagoneer instead of another LX570 next time.

I know I am forgetting something here on the list but here is what I remember sorting over the last year and a half:

Dash swap due to cracks (Thanks to my Toyota Master Tech buddy)
seat swap and thorough cleaning
front seat bottom replacement with OEM material (SOR parts are expensive but good)
New retro brown floor mats. (originals just don't exist anymore)
New taillights lenses and bulbs,
New turn signal lenses
Running board removal
Air cleaner swap with the 92 as it was perfect
front and rear bumper swap and stainless polish with parts truck (another good reason to buy it)
repainted the mudflap letters white
Replaced and refinished front valance with salvage part (pleased with my paint match)
front metal bumper swap and repaint
New OEM front bumper corners
Thorough interior detailing job
New Pioneer thin mount speakers (custom fabricated under door panels)
New Sony Apple Car Play Receiver (mainly for the wife)
New BFG tires (came with the part car)
$2,000 worth of oil leak repairs top and bottom at my favorite tech's shop (ouch)
Conquered the dreaded manual antenna mast repair with OEM parts (I am an expert now) What a job that was
underbody clean up (in process) it an oily mess. NO rust so it looks new under here.
New mirrors
new paint for the flares with new pads/welting
new wiper blades/mounts
more hand rubbing on that old paint:)

Before
IMG_4430_3_2.jpg
3E0272D0-36C8-4AAC-B145-495F990A6908.jpeg
F75689E9-F6A1-4878-8C07-E22247BF8C1B.jpeg

35C57102-F5DD-40B6-AEE8-5804DF46D0C0.jpeg

1B7DAA96-91DE-445A-A4BE-498E4E2FE438.jpeg

Last edited:
More requested photos:

Finished product
222D9A01-7F6C-4115-B2E4-E2EC9F96F3EB.jpeg

3522A8E2-AD67-4CEC-A9EC-398A29BD436C.jpeg

9370926D-C757-4639-8142-63F85D463151.jpeg
8027AFAD-657E-4051-8CBE-64D1A0F3FCA8.jpeg
690123E9-18B5-4D1F-807B-C491DC69CA70.jpeg

The ad is gone. What was the asking price? Just sold my 62 for $14K and my 80 now has 107K mi.

I think it was $17k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom