3FE Owners Check-In (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The truck is my DD now so it won't be an off-road rig, but I'm not afraid to get it dirty but I still need to drive it daily. Plus, I have SWB Land Rover that does (light) off-road duties.

Just finished the new radiator, I wanted to go with a aluminum one, like the one that was talked about a month ago on this thread, but I needed something with a lifetime warranty, so auto zone is the only place that had a full metal radiator with a warranty, and I got 20 percent off of 500 dollars so it was like $410, but I'm happy with the build quality and the fact that if it does get a hole I can solder it up until a free replacement arrives
Happy Cruisin' and a happy Easter

20190420_192917.jpg

20190420_181351.jpg

A lil help... So I am doing a little coolant system work and I seem to only get about 2.5 gallons out of the OLE 3fe... am I missing something?

Also is there a recommended source for new hoses?

That happens, because there is about another gallon and a half in both heater cores, I just replaced my radiator and had to flush everything to get the coolant out of the system,

I just got a reply from CDan, yup he said the same thing... I did quite a few flushes and run back up to temp so it should just be a mix of red and water at this point.

A lil help... So I am doing a little coolant system work and I seem to only get about 2.5 gallons out of the OLE 3fe... am I missing something?

Also is there a recommended source for new hoses?
Wits end sells the 3 main radiator hose for the 3FE. if you want all the other heater hoses. you will have to source them from Toyota

I just got a reply from CDan, yup he said the same thing... I did quite a few flushes and run back up to temp so it should just be a mix of red and water at this point.
So, what you can do is take apart the heater line and take a air compressor set on about 10psi and very lightly blow air through the heater system, that is the best place to take it apart and get all the coolant out of the heater core
Happy Cruisin'

15562241465033138676051079867251.jpg

So, what you can do is take apart the heater line and take a air compressor set on about 10psi and very lightly blow air through the heater system, that is the best place to take it apart and get all the coolant out of the heater core
Happy Cruisin'

View attachment 1961823
Thank you! I did that with the intake manifold to make sure it was very well flushed. I am fearful of taking the heater hoses apart as there is a fair amount of corrosion on them... all things in time 😉

Cleaned the IAC, there was a thick coating of carbon. Took care of my rough idle at startup, but not the intermittent cut out or occasional super high rpms at start up, then hard starting condition. Got a code 22 and 42. Coolant temp sensor is on order and a new alternator as back up. New speedo cable will hopefully take care of the code 42. Based on previous threads these issues can take a while to sort out.

I haven't had the issue but a leaking cold start injector could cause weird start up issues.

I haven't had the issue but a leaking cold start injector could cause weird start up issues.
coolant temp sensor and the IAC took care of 90% of the issue, I'm good with that for now. Yesterday I used a por15 on the floor pans including patching a hole by the drivers side pan. Lots of prep. but should be good for 10 years.

I am having an issue with oil collecting around the front header and cat flange. Seems to happen after it has sat for a day or two. I can not for the life of me find where it is coming from. I don't see excessive smoke on start up from the tail pipe but I do know my valves need to be adjusted. The thought has crossed my mind that it could be guide seals but again I do not see crazy smoking. It doesnt seem to be leaving a puddle on the ground under that area. Also found a pin hold leak on the radiator to add insult to injury

I am having an issue with oil collecting around the front header and cat flange. Seems to happen after it has sat for a day or two. I can not for the life of me find where it is coming from. I don't see excessive smoke on start up from the tail pipe but I do know my valves need to be adjusted. The thought has crossed my mind that it could be guide seals but again I do not see crazy smoking. It doesnt seem to be leaving a puddle on the ground under that area. Also found a pin hold leak on the radiator to add insult to injury
The oil leak is probably the valve cover seal or gasket, and for adjusting the valves, I would do that when you replace the valve cover gasket, if you need a picture of the sequence to adjust the valves let me know,

I did the valve cover gasket a month ago. Old one was stiff as a wedding prick, came off in pieces. If you can shoot me that info with any tips and tricks I would be stoked. My rig sounds like two transformers banging in a dumpster.

Anyone know what oil can be used in the AC system running r12? I have a leak at the coil and i plan on resealing it. I have access to loads of r12 but I can not find the oil. FSM calls for ND OIL 6, SUNISO No.5GS or equivalent. I only need like 2 or 3 ounces but I can't find a equivalent. I called the dealer and they said "we just some stuff from napa".

Anyone know what oil can be used in the AC system running r12? I have a leak at the coil and i plan on resealing it. I have access to loads of r12 but I can not find the oil. FSM calls for ND OIL 6, SUNISO No.5GS or equivalent. I only need like 2 or 3 ounces but I can't find a equivalent. I called the dealer and they said "we just some stuff from napa".

just run regular ND in it. but, if it were me id just convert it to 134A already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom