3FE Owners Check-In (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the input, I only have one good ear so directional hearing is a little bit of a challenge. I had the wife look at it to help pinpoint and she kept pointing at the Distributor. Also when it starts to squeal it starts to die...
Sounds like maybe the rotor and cap inside the distributor is the culprit, and perhaps moisture had gotten in and promoting rust? When was the last time you have done PM on the distributor? I would pull the cap off and inspect within and report back??

Sounds like maybe the rotor and cap inside the distributor is the culprit, and perhaps moisture had gotten in and promoting rust? When was the last time you have done PM on the distributor? I would pull the cap off and inspect within and report back??
I can go take a look, there was rust present about 3 months ago when I bought her and established my baseline. New cap and rotor, in my stupidity I failed to get OEM Toyota thinking Napa Gold would be okay. Probably the crap from Napa... I will go check now... be back shortly. Thanks again! Side note, how do you like the 4.88 and 35's?

Did you hook up the vent lines on top of the distributor? There should be 2 nipples at the top...Make sure they are both hooked up or you will be sourcing a new distributor in the near future.
4.88 and 35s are like peanut butter and jelly...Love the combo on and offroad.

Update on 3FE squeak...

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

yes it looked like this when I got it, actually worse... yes vent lines are "correctly" hooked up, unlike how it was when I got it...

IMG_0466.JPG

Last edited:
I was thinking it was a bearing in the bottom of it... originally I was thinking about replacing it with an MSD.... not sure if that's even an option

fj80 1990 8 seater 3inch dobinsons coils 2inch spacers ( so when get defected for lift can remove coil spacers 20 mins each untill get 5 inch springs keep 3 inch for swaps) 4inch dobinsons shocks 50mm swaybar extensions front and rear 4-6 inch extended brake lines lspv adjusted s***ty alloy bullbar thats had a good beating runs on petrol and lpg balance pipe fitted between lpg converter all the way to top snorkle runs well on both fuels after some tinkering) 420,000kms on clock gear box transfer and diffs new oils and seals breathers on diff ( el cheapo home job with fuel filters 33s on 15x10 off set steel rims duel battery 2nd battery in rear with vsr and solar and quick disconnect for use with cpap when in tent chews threw front pads no matter what lift ie stock 3inch or 5inch no difference engine. oil change with filter ev 6-12months $10 ebay 5% tint on rear windows new belts when needed keep spares in box in back with rad hoses drivers seat is s***ty use towell and seat covers atm so dont get a spring in me arse cheek power steering leaks just check and fill as needed like brake fluid replaced all vac lines busted plastic egr so used spare had from a 3.slow from old 4runner (will do egr remove when can be botherd) clear coat peeling on roof and bonnet so used ceramic heat matt black paint had in shed closed door drive way rattle can job held up for last 3 yrs ok hand winch and recovery kit (never needed to use still new) damage under guards and running boards (look ugly but saves the sills till can fab up some sliders) bullbar cracked from roo on passanger side elec window motors often fail lucky have lots spares in shed from 4runner silicone spray is cheap fix till they fail for good replaced master control for elec windows and mirrors as often leave windows open and keys in ignition and it rains aircon fuse next too steering wheel has no power as off 2weeks ago not worried as am a window down bloke air con makes me feel sick reverse cam and led light on rear 2x24 inch led on front and 2x hid spots water temp, lpg fuel,vac, volt guage (ebay specials) uhf and vhf cb will hit 140kmph up hill on lpg on 33s 80-90kmph on 35s next up mods heavy duty upper rear control arms castor correction plates 25mm spacer on front drive shaft the trick off road is low and slow lower tyre pressure low gear keep revs low and it will go anywhere eats up m8s gu patrols on 6inch lifts with 37s and lockers the 3fe is a tank engine be proud to have a 80 with a 3fe as all maintance can be done in ya driveway or on the track

91 FJ80, original 3fe 246k miles, kenda all-terrains no lift. Cat Delete, Flowmaster super 44 delta flow, still has smog pump, led euro fog lights, led lights all around except headlights and blinkers, valves adjusted, coolant flushed, front and rear side doors window seal/trim replaced, front bumper painted, new belts, repaired stereo, replaced speakers and got all 9 of them working. It needs new birfs, heater core, rear main seal, and steering stabilizer.

upload_2018-11-15_22-15-2.jpeg

Shane

Just returned to the 3fe world after an 8 year absence, with this 92 80, with 91k on the ticker. Stock, aside from a 2.5 ome lift, 33 bags, and a seam of. Have the dash out for misc. bulb replacements, and will be in ACC soon for the side cover gasket leak. Just tightened the kick-down cable, which greatly helped with shifting. Love the info here - used it quite a bit with my old 91. Rex in ATL

4F6D3D4A-0ABE-440C-BF06-07A0BC9E4041.jpeg

Just returned to the 3fe world after an 8 year absence, with this 92 80, with 91k on the ticker. Stock, aside from a 2.5 ome lift, 33 bags, and a seam of. Have the dash out for misc. bulb replacements, and will be in ACC soon for the side cover gasket leak. Just tightened the kick-down cable, which greatly helped with shifting. Love the info here - used it quite a bit with my old 91. Rex in ATL

View attachment 1836552
Damn autocorrect! “33 bfgs and a desmog”

91 FJ80, original 3fe 246k miles, kenda all-terrains no lift. Cat Delete, Flowmaster super 44 delta flow, still has smog pump, led euro fog lights, led lights all around except headlights and blinkers, valves adjusted, coolant flushed, front and rear side doors window seal/trim replaced, front bumper painted, new belts, repaired stereo, replaced speakers and got all 9 of them working. It needs new birfs, heater core, rear main seal, and steering stabilizer.

View attachment 1832910

Shane
Big difference in power window performance with the new channels? Thinking about doing this as well. Dry silicone spray has helped a bit, but still slow.

Used to live in Chattanooga and really do miss it. My daily commute took me up and down lookout, and my Old 91 80 handled it like a champ.

Big difference in power window performance with the new channels? Thinking about doing this as well. Dry silicone spray has helped a bit, but still slow.

Used to live in Chattanooga and really do miss it. My daily commute took me up and down lookout, and my Old 91 80 handled it like a champ.
Hell yeah brother, my cruiser doesn’t like the road up the front of signal (and by doesn’t like it I mean she eats a bunch of gas ) I actually haven’t been up to lookout with her yet but now I’ll make a point to do that, so I only replaced the outside seal on the windows (the one that is between the glass and the door)
upload_2018-11-24_20-45-1.png

And it didn’t make any difference, the outside temperature actually makes the biggest difference but I would try some Vaseline in the window track it seemed to help a little, and welcome back to land cruiser, fj80s are awesome
#FJ80Life
Happy Cruisin

Last edited:
'91 FJ 80 3FE - ~250K on the clock, speed-o-meter cable broke 15 years ago.
  • ARB Bull Bar with IPF Spots.
  • Safari Snorkel with deep water fording breather lines extended
  • ARB locked Front and Rear
  • Yukon Birfields and Longfield Axles (Front & Rear)
  • Regeared rear to 4.88
  • Custom Sound System - Amp, head unit, Sub and Component Speaker System
  • Bearcat CB & PA System
  • Underbody Rock lights
  • High output rear flood light
  • Custom rock slider rails
  • Upgraded headlight system with direct feed
  • Alpine alarm

Summer 2018 - Overhaul Project - After cruiser had sat up for almost 6 years, was ready to get out and start wheeling again. "Pepe" (The Little Mule) needed some love and fresh shoes. Had set a target of the 2018 ATR in Wind Rock Labor Day weekend to have him back and running. Trip was planed with 4 other trucks on a father/son trip. Would be my 6 yr son's first 4x4 trip.

Replaced -
  • Fuel Filter
  • Fuel Pump
  • Master Cylinder
  • Alternator - upgraded to high output
  • Replaced AC Condenser and refitted to R-134A coolant
  • New Belts
  • New Idler Pully
  • New Starter
  • New Optima Yellow Top
  • New Plugs, Wires, Cap, Button
  • All New Fluids - Oil, Diff, Brake, Coolant , transfer- Did not touch Transmission (do not break what is not broken)
  • New set of 33x12.50.15 KM2 BFGs - up-sized from 20 year old 32x11.50s BFG Mudders on Black steel Pro Comp Wheels
  • Upgraded transfer case skid plate with Slee plate
  • New OME lifted with Coils and Shocks - replaced 20 yr old OMEs
  • Sealed Sunroof - cables had rusted and drains were clogged - causing leak into cabin
  • Driver side mirror housing

Target Mods for 2019 and beyond
  • Rear bumper - looking at Slee for this
  • Roof rack - found shop out of Fayetteville, NC that will build made to order for ~$1000
  • 2nd Battery
  • Rear Drawer system
  • On-board Frig
  • Upgrade External Lighting - Light bar on Rack, 360 Degree flood lighting with Roof Rack install
  • Wrapping hood rise with mat black - glare reduction
  • Winch - what the hell!
  • Extend rock sliders to cover front quarter panels and extend protection below doors - custom fab
  • Skip plates for under body and diffs
  • On- board GPS and Mapping unit with external satellite antenna

Great to be wheeling again. Looking forward to GSMTR 2019, Uwharrie, back to N. GA for Earl's/Sandy Ford and Sarah's creek trails and some hometown forestry roads here in Francis Marion. Renewed my TLCA membership and just got my first new copy of Toyota Trails - what a great magazine and source of inspiration to get out there and use these trucks.

Is anyone a former member of the old 80sCOOL Yahoo group?

Have owned and worked on the 3FE for almost 20 years now, daily driver is 2001 LX 470 ( my 5th one). Always happy to help trouble shoot an issue or idea.

MeatBall and III.jpg

Pepe on Hill Top.jpg

Recently purchased 1991 FJ80 3FE: (had it only 3 weeks, now) 180K miles
Currently Planning:
• Front Knuckle Rebuild (using kit supplied by CruiserOutfitters.com)
• '93 FJ80 FF Rear Axle Swap, thus:
- New Rotors
- purchase 16" wheels ('93 stock alloy)
- OME Steering Stabilizer

Engine, currently:
- leaking at ?? Front Main Seal
- possibly Side Pan
*best to begin replacing Rubber

Attributes:
- interior looks fantastic!
- Minimal Rust
- Runs great/ Drives well (slowww)
- stock height
- looks respected/ moderately serviced
- original Owners Manual in the dash!
- third row present and looks great!
- Kenwood double DIN and decent speakers in the cab. (Honestly a single DIN and dash DIN C.B. Radio would be better, butttt... its Rockin'...sooo...)

Future Plans:
33" BFG (black side 'out')
Leveling kit
Suspension Lift (2.5")
Sliders (best considered)
Rear ARB Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
Front ARB Bumper (winch can wait)
Roof Rack (not important)
C.B.Radio ... antenna

That's enough for now!
*Enjoy Wheelin' this Weekend, everyone!
Running Sherpa

'91 FJ 80 3FE - ~250K on the clock, speed-o-meter cable broke 15 years ago.
  • ARB Bull Bar with IPF Spots.
  • Safari Snorkel with deep water fording breather lines extended
  • ARB locked Front and Rear
  • Yukon Birfields and Longfield Axles (Front & Rear)
  • Regeared rear to 4.88
  • Custom Sound System - Amp, head unit, Sub and Component Speaker System
  • Bearcat CB & PA System
  • Underbody Rock lights
  • High output rear flood light
  • Custom rock slider rails
  • Upgraded headlight system with direct feed
  • Alpine alarm

Summer 2018 - Overhaul Project - After cruiser had sat up for almost 6 years, was ready to get out and start wheeling again. "Pepe" (The Little Mule) needed some love and fresh shoes. Had set a target of the 2018 ATR in Wind Rock Labor Day weekend to have him back and running. Trip was planed with 4 other trucks on a father/son trip. Would be my 6 yr son's first 4x4 trip.

Replaced -
  • Fuel Filter
  • Fuel Pump
  • Master Cylinder
  • Alternator - upgraded to high output
  • Replaced AC Condenser and refitted to R-134A coolant
  • New Belts
  • New Idler Pully
  • New Starter
  • New Optima Yellow Top
  • New Plugs, Wires, Cap, Button
  • All New Fluids - Oil, Diff, Brake, Coolant , transfer- Did not touch Transmission (do not break what is not broken)
  • New set of 33x12.50.15 KM2 BFGs - up-sized from 20 year old 32x11.50s BFG Mudders on Black steel Pro Comp Wheels
  • Upgraded transfer case skid plate with Slee plate
  • New OME lifted with Coils and Shocks - replaced 20 yr old OMEs
  • Sealed Sunroof - cables had rusted and drains were clogged - causing leak into cabin
  • Driver side mirror housing

Target Mods for 2019 and beyond
  • Rear bumper - looking at Slee for this
  • Roof rack - found shop out of Fayetteville, NC that will build made to order for ~$1000
  • 2nd Battery
  • Rear Drawer system
  • On-board Frig
  • Upgrade External Lighting - Light bar on Rack, 360 Degree flood lighting with Roof Rack install
  • Wrapping hood rise with mat black - glare reduction
  • Winch - what the hell!
  • Extend rock sliders to cover front quarter panels and extend protection below doors - custom fab
  • Skip plates for under body and diffs
  • On- board GPS and Mapping unit with external satellite antenna

Great to be wheeling again. Looking forward to GSMTR 2019, Uwharrie, back to N. GA for Earl's/Sandy Ford and Sarah's creek trails and some hometown forestry roads here in Francis Marion. Renewed my TLCA membership and just got my first new copy of Toyota Trails - what a great magazine and source of inspiration to get out there and use these trucks.

Is anyone a former member of the old 80sCOOL Yahoo group?

Have owned and worked on the 3FE for almost 20 years now, daily driver is 2001 LX 470 ( my 5th one). Always happy to help trouble shoot an issue or idea.

View attachment 1843298

View attachment 1843300

Man, wish you were closer. I do all my own stuff and have a 91. Maybe a good reason to cease being anti social and attend GSMTR.

Recently purchased 1991 FJ80 3FE: (had it only 3 weeks, now) 180K miles
Currently Planning:
• Front Knuckle Rebuild (using kit supplied by CruiserOutfitters.com)
• '93 FJ80 FF Rear Axle Swap, thus:
- New Rotors
- purchase 16" wheels ('93 stock alloy)
- OME Steering Stabilizer

Engine, currently:
- leaking at ?? Front Main Seal
- possibly Side Pan
*best to begin replacing Rubber

Attributes:
- interior looks fantastic!
- Minimal Rust
- Runs great/ Drives well (slowww)
- stock height
- looks respected/ moderately serviced
- original Owners Manual in the dash!
- third row present and looks great!
- Kenwood double DIN and decent speakers in the cab. (Honestly a single DIN and dash DIN C.B. Radio would be better, butttt... its Rockin'...sooo...)

Future Plans:
33" BFG (black side 'out')
Leveling kit
Suspension Lift (2.5")
Sliders (best considered)
Rear ARB Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
Front ARB Bumper (winch can wait)
Roof Rack (not important)
C.B.Radio ... antenna

That's enough for now!
*Enjoy Wheelin' this Weekend, everyone!
Running Sherpa

Light rust in Mizzou.... What does that look like?
Just messing. Sounds like a great ride!

View attachment 1836552
Hey Rex how do you adjust the kickdown cable? Because going up the mountain the cruiser is constantly shifting and honestly I just have to manually shift it

Hey Rex how do you adjust the kickdown cable? Because going up the mountain the cruiser is constantly shifting and honestly I just have to manually shift it
This thread was a help to me
91 3FE Kick Down Cable?

There were two cables on mine, back side of the throttle body. If adjusting from the drivers side fender view, I believe it was the cable to the right. There are two nuts to loosen, one on each side of the mount. I moved it slightly Towards the passenger side, merely two or three threads worth, which fixed what felt like a bit of slippage between in tyranny shifts - and just better overall shifting. You want to make very slight adjustments on this to take a bit of the slack out - overtightening will lead to transmission problems.

I’ll try and take a pic today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom