91 3FE Kick Down Cable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Aggiesdm

***** Regular
Threads
Hi, just like many before me, I'm curious about getting a little better power out of my 3FE. I've researched it on MUD and many suggest adjusting the Kick Down Cable, but it seems that they are all related to the 93-97's.

Does the 3FE/A440 transmission have a kick down cable and if so, where is it? I've looked in my Haynes manual and didn't see anything about it, but it may be under a different name.

Mainly, I want it to downshift a little sooner when climbing hills. I lose all my momentum before I finally have to bury the pedal...then the thing kicks down and lurches forward. Just want it to be a smoother/earlier shift point.

Thanks and sorry if this is a dead horse

'91 3FE here. I just adjusted mine yesterday. Not only was it a pig and very slow to accelerate, but when driving slowly there was a "false neutral" between 1st and 2nd gear where the engine revved momentarily before shifting. I was hoping and praying that it wasn't the tranny slipping--it wasn't.

On mine the kick down cable has a red rubber cover near the adjusting nut. When I touched the cable with my finger, it was pretty darned sloppy. It's a 14mm nut. I loosened the "keeper nut" and then adjusted/tightened it. Wow! What a world of difference! No more "false neutral," and now she goes into passing gear pronto! Very simple adjustment, took me less than 10 mins.

On top of the throttle body towards the back. On mine there are 3 cables (if I remember correctly) one from the gas peddle, one from the cruise control box, and one from the tranny. The one with the red end is the kick down cable, and, it uses a 14mm nut while the other two are 12mm. I also adjusted some of the slop out of my throttle cable too.

This thread shows the !ZFE, but the 3FE is very similar: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/254761-idle-throttle-cable-issue.html

Where exactly is this on the truck? I'm interested too; my truck has the exact same symptoms...

On top of the throttle body towards the back. On mine there are 3 cables (if I remember correctly) one from the gas peddle, one from the cruise control box, and one from the tranny. The one with the red end is the kick down cable, and, it uses a 14mm nut while the other two are 12mm. I also adjusted some of the slop out of my throttle cable too.

Sweet... thanks man.

I have adjusted my throttle cable (kickdown cable) to where I am satisfied with shift firmness, but now I'm wondering if the TPS effects shift points, anyone?

Aggiesdm, the above info on the kickdown cable should get you going in the right direction as far as adjusting it, adjust in half turn increments because it really doesn't take much, tighter = firmer shifts/ looser = softer shifts.

Alleycat

Just to add specificity, the factory spec from the bead on the cable to the red boot should be .5mm-1.5mm. for the 3fe anyway.

thanks all

Thanks for all of the info. I"ll attempt to play with this tonight and hope that it helps my tractor shift a little quicker.

There was a guy who posted who replaced his TPS on a 3fe 80 and he said it affected shifting.

Still curious.

Not on a 91-92.

Roger

Be as curious as you want. :meh:

There are no electronics to the A440F transmission. No ECU inputs, no electronically controlled shift points, nothing.

No way for the TPS to communicate with the tranny, period.

Is this adjustment in the FSM? I cannot find it if it is..

Not sure if its in the FSM or not, but its in my Haynes manual. Basically, you get a feeler gauge and adjust the stop-nut back or forth to achieve the right gap between the red rubber stopper and the bead that's crimped onto the cable. Can't remember the distance, but I want to say it was around .04", but don't quote me on that. It was a really simple adjustment and did seem to smooth my shifts out. I also had a lot of slack in my throttle cable that I adjusted at the same time. Much less "lag" now when I accelerate. Its not the silver bullet to make the truck faster, but it helps.

Last edited:
Great info... I'm gonna find and adjust this kickdown cable asap!!! Thanks for the heads up and THANKS for such a great IH8MUD site! GOLD!!!!! 

With throttle closed, the gap should be .5mm - 1.5mm or .020in - .059in.

6E611354-CB82-4313-B253-88F5CBBC9522.jpeg

2C56B4D1-3FAD-4E61-806F-EEFF406E6092.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom