3FE Owners Check-In (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

way to go! awesome find, are those OEM stripes along the running boards? looks like you had headlight wipers too at some point ya.

I would say it depends on your budget. But here is my 2 cents. The stock 3FE gearing/horsepower is not well matched with over size tires so when you upgrade re-gearing is a good idea if you want to maintain solid power/torque under load on the passes. I would look into auto-lockers such as Spartan as a great mod for the rear (front more complicated) as they are well-suited for the 80 series for bang-for-your-buck traction/ability when needed. As far as the lift goes I am in the as-low-as-possible camp unless your are going for hard-core crawling etc. A just-over-stock (height) locked 80 with 33s is a highly capable platform and further mods to correct height issues are greatly reduced or eliminated as well as less hurt on the mpgs. Rack options are many and very cool these days-you will have to investigate that one. I purchased (2) Thule bars ($60 on CL) and they suit my needs very well.

Stoked for you man! keep a close eye on the thermostat and give her a rad flush ASAP.

Thanks for input. Those are indeed OEM stripes! Headlight wipers as well.

Agreed on lift height. I've always lifted only to fit a tire size if needed. OME stock height for heavy load might be perfect. No hardcore crawling in this one. More like 40-50 miles of dirt then a few cruxes on two tracks, like crossing a nasty creek bottom, or gaining a rocky ridge bench. Will look into the auto locker option too. Never had one and unsure of highway manners in icy conditions, but reading up now.

Fluids and tuneup asap, below zero temps here, so waiting for a warmup

Certainly not a dead thread for those few of us still keeping the 91-92s alive. I’ve got a 91 with 33s and a 50mm Ironman lift. I believe it’s an extremely capable platform with minimal mods as well. I’d love to get the 10% underdrive t-case gears to compensate for the larger tires but I’ve been able to deal with it so far. After my last wheeling trip I’m really looking at lockers and sliders.

interesting, didnt know about this mod^^ underdrive/overdrive of T case:

NEED GEARS?

I was saving for 4.88s so maybe not fit for me? Curious about results from some 3FE owners out there running this setup

The T case gearing looks really promising. Looking forward to input on this as well if anyone has experience.

Living at 7400' above sea level and mountains up to 10000' it's hard to get all the juice from an engine. My 60 has 4:88s and 33s, but RPMs on the highway are just too much. Was thinking 4.56 in the 80 because of this, but that's just 11% from stock

interesting, didnt know about this mod^^ underdrive/overdrive of T case:

NEED GEARS?

I was saving for 4.88s so maybe not fit for me? Curious about results from some 3FE owners out there running this setup
I love my motor and love seeing others digging it. We're the ugly ducks. But ya know what? I live in a total flat country. In FLA the 3FE is fine. Yet to push it through mountains, and not looking forward to it man. Gearing isn't going to do much for this motor and that elevation. Enjoy the trip, dont worry about others behind you, and know your motor will last forevers.

View attachment 1879051 Maybe this is a dead thread, but I'm extremely happy to have just brought the new rig home. A two-tone tan/brown 92 with 130k original miles, garage kept (i.e. zero rust anywhere), and pretty much "the one". This is replacing replacing my 83 fj60 (ol rusty beast), and will now be getting it ready for life in Wyoming (80 miles of dirt several times a week, long mountain passes, terrible back roads through snow, mud, and rocks, etc...).
my-drive

Lots of decisions for the build up, but OME stock height vs OME 2.5" to fit ~33"s (recommended tire size?), some sort of roof rack so we can fit the kiddos. Most importantly do I keep 4 speed auto with the pig of a 3F or swap in a V8 from my Tundra (Is a manual swap worth it)? It did get 14mpg on the 200 miles home without having adjusted anything yet. Snorkel for sure as the long Wyoming roads are dusty dusty dusty. Swap out the rear for a full free float (is it really worth it for a driver and not a crawler)? Is the center diff enough for most trouble spots or is an ARB locker worthwhile? I rarely use my TRD locker on the Tacoma even on severe roads, but it has saved me in a few spots.

Any real world experience appreciated and yes, I've read days and days of posts on the 80s and have extensive Toyota experience and driving on many thousands of miles of back roads and two tracks (several 1980s pickups, '85 4runner, '02 Tundra, '11 Rav4, '83 fj60, and currently a '04 Tacoma built for overland in Wyoming, so I'll keep searching for info, but real world experience from you guys is very much appreciated.
My 92 has a 2.5 one lift and 33 12.5 bfg’s. I Like the set-up, but will move to 33 10.5 when I get new tires (less rolling resistance, like the skinnier tire look). Performs fine here in Ga, but the only mountains I’m tackling are in north Ga, a bit lower than the elevation you’ve got there.

When I was shopping for an 80, I was specifically looking for a 91-92. I knew that if I got a 93+, the headgasket would blow on my drive home...that's the kind of luck I have. I found a clean 91 with 215k on it. It's been my daily driver since, and it's about to roll 230k.

I've thought about something newer with more creature comforts, but the old girl won't give me reason to move on. Neither of us are in a hurry to get anywhere, and I'm ok with that.

Last edited:
When I was shopping for an 80, I was specifically looking for a 91-92. I knew that if I got a 93+, the headgasket would blow on my drive home...that the kind of luck I have. I found a clean 91 with 215k on it. It's been my daily driver since, and it's about to roll 230k.

I've thought about something newer with more creature comforts, by the old girl won't give me reason to move on. Neither of us are in a hurry to get anywhere, and I'm ok with that.
lol thats a good dissertation. I wasnt sure what I wanted and didnt know a whole lot about them really. I knew the rep of the 3F and having an all cast iron motor seemed sexy. I love the damn thing.

Loo
Guess I’m officially in the club. Just picked up a 91’ FJ80 w/240k miles for $4500. It’s in pretty sweet condition but has a salvage title.

View attachment 1882008
Looking good. Any idea what the salvage is from? My Tacoma is a salvage and is perfect except for a teeny tiny ding on the bumper hanger. Bumper hanger is welded to frame so they said frame is bent. Rediculous but nice way to save $$

Salvage is from a front end impact.

Radiator replaced
A/C condenser replaced
New battery
Water pump replaced
Thermostat replaced
Thermostat housing/gasket replaced
Coolant temperature sensor replaced
Power steering hose(s)/line(s) replaced
Drive belt(s) replaced
Radiator hose clamp replaced
Antifreeze/coolant flushed
Air filter replaced
Wheel bearing seal replaced
Wheel bearings repacked
Brake fluid flushed/changed
Front brake pads replaced
Installed Dobinson Snorkel
Installed TJM front number
4 new tires

The work was done at Academy Car Care & Repair in Colorado Springs. I feel like I got a good deal but I guess we’ll see how it goes. Stay tuned for updates!

Happy to be a member!

EC9C63F1-077B-4FF4-A38B-FE4CF41D122B.jpeg

EACD65B1-51E6-43D2-9667-581F94554B86.jpeg

That bumper is toast and it probably got the hanger behind, plus the hood and fender would add up to over the valued price => salvage. Looks like minor fender bender, so well done. Should be a good rig!

91 FJ80, original 3fe 246k miles, kenda all-terrains no lift. Cat Delete, Flowmaster super 44 delta flow, still has smog pump, led euro fog lights, led lights all around except headlights and blinkers, valves adjusted, coolant flushed, front and rear side doors window seal/trim replaced, front bumper painted, new belts, repaired stereo, replaced speakers and got all 9 of them working. It needs new birfs, heater core, rear main seal, and steering stabilizer.

View attachment 1832910

Shane
I would like to do an update, I just finished the smog delete on the 3fe, and she has a lot more highway power, but, I was barely in the throttle and she was haulin' a$$, I was thinking about Back to The Future and 88 mph , but I had to find out what she would do, and honestly she had more to give but I don't know if my steering system would have liked that;) but I definitely noticed a huge improvement, in power, in how fast she starts, and in how smooth she idles.
I want to say thank you to whomever created the guide for desmoging a 3fe, I'll update this post as soon as I find out who created it,
Happy Cruisin'

Screenshot_20190121-230601_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to do an update, I just finished the smog delete on the 3fe, and she has a lot more highway power, but, I was barely in the throttle and she was haulin' a$$, I was thinking about Back to The Future and 88 mph , but I had to find out what she would do, and honestly she had more to give but I don't know if my steering system would have liked that;) but I definitely noticed a huge improvement, in power, in how fast she starts, and in how smooth she idles.
I want to say thank you to whomever created the guide for desmoging a 3fe, I'll update this post as soon as I find out who created it,
Happy Cruisin'

View attachment 1885516
Thanks for the feedback on your success. I was checking fluids staring at the delete stuff wondering if it's time to go at it. Any noteworthy problems you ran up against not spelled out in the guide(s)?

Thanks for the feedback on your success. I was checking fluids staring at the delete stuff wondering if it's time to go at it. Any noteworthy problems you ran up against not spelled out in the guide(s)?
So most of the problems that could have happened were covered in the guide, except that if you don't check that the brass plug that caps off the EGR hose that leads to the hose it can rattle loose, but this will only happen once because the brass heated up and seated so you'll have to check that it is tight after the first 100 miles.
Happy Cruisin'

Looks like I am going to have to replace the alternator (reman) on my 91. Any suggestions? Bosch, ACDelco, etc? Thanks for the input.

Looks like I am going to have to replace the alternator (reman) on my 91. Any suggestions? Bosch, ACDelco, etc? Thanks for the input.
I would recommend OEM, new or refurbished from a good source. I had a chain store knock off in my '87 pickup for all of 3 months before it died. Replaced free under warranty, then that one left me stranded less than a year later. Got a used OEM from a junkyard and it's been running for 7+ years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom