3FE Owners Check-In (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey there, I've had a tough time finding Bilsteins 5100 for my 91. Most places that I went to were back-ordered. I don't really wheel much anymore, so don't want to throw a ton of money into a solution that would not get much use. I know some folks were big on Billies. Any other thoughts? I thought that Fox was overkill for what i'm doing with these.

Hey there, I've had a tough time finding Bilsteins 5100 for my 91. Most places that I went to were back-ordered. I don't really wheel much anymore, so don't want to throw a ton of money into a solution that would not get much use. I know some folks were big on Billies. Any other thoughts? I thought that Fox was overkill for what i'm doing with these.
I ended up with the Tough Dogs after getting tired of waiting on a Bilstein backlog. Very happy with them and Jason from Trail Tailor was excellent. Nothing like personal service from someone that knows the vehicles and the products. I don't really "wheel", just lots of bouncy beach miles and double track. Love the shocks. See above posts. Or here Trail Tailor

Last edited:
Hey there my fj80 brethren. I have questions regarding fluids for my beloved 80. We've been together about 8 months and I've noticed that if my oil dipstick reads at the top of the hashmarks when I drain it I only get just over 6 quarts ( using small toyota oil filter) and if I fill it with recommended 7.8 qts it reads high on dipstick. Any thoughts?

What has got me really worried is the trans fluid. Have not touched fluid since I got it 9 mos ago. Seems to shift just fine BUT when I check dipstick it reads way high. Going to drain at the plug this weekend. How much should drain out? Curious if anyone has input on the seemingly lying dipstick. Thanks mudders
20180323_185705_HDR.jpg
20180324_070018_HDR.jpg
20180818_114403_HDR.jpg
20180323_185705_HDR.jpg
20180324_070018_HDR.jpg
20180818_114403_HDR.jpg
ol'Blue
20180323_185705_HDR.jpg
20180324_070018_HDR.jpg
20180818_114403_HDR.jpg
20180323_185705_HDR.jpg

The transmission oil needs to be checked when hot while the engine is running. Checking cold or not running the dipstick will read high.

First off sorry about the overabundance pics. Didn't realize what I was doing. Secondly, thank you PPC things are as they should be with the granny and I can now unclench my sphincter. Lastly, any thoughts on 15-40 Delvac vs. Rotella? Delvac is cheaper @ Wallyworld. Thanks murders!

3FE owners:
Any issues with running ARB compressor in driver's side engine bay? The reason i am asking is, our exhaust manifold is on the DS vs PS for the 4.5L.

TIA
27106131400_2ab3b80c25_z.jpg

That is where my compressor is mounted and has been doing fine for the past couple of years.

Technician1985 - Define what is long-term? I have 310,000 miles on the stock 3FE. It's my daily driver too!

Been driving it for about a week now. I'm slightly concerned about the long term reliability but we'll see what happens. Still needs a bunch of work..

28290156588_ed9b77695c_b.jpg

40355988990_16bd109c6d_b.jpg

Nope....just source some larger 95-97 flanges and swap them out. Yours are worn down, hence the back and forth slop when you're on and off the gas. It's a very misleading noise. I had ACC in Atl diagnose and fix mine years ago.

What are these 95-97 Flanges you speak of?!?!?!?

What are these 95-97 Flanges you speak of?!?!?!?
I bought and returned 95-97 flanges b/c they are too wide to fit on my 91' spindles. Got the right ones for my year and have 50% less clunk. to go with newer drive flanges you need to do the longer birfs in later models. I just redid my 91's so no point. my 2 cents

You can use the new style thicker flanges with the shorter birfields, you just can’t use the original clip; you have to use a fender washer with a bolt into the birfield end instead. I have posted about this somewhere before... I have the thicker flanges on my truck with the short birfields.

You can use the new style thicker flanges with the shorter birfields, you just can’t use the original clip; you have to use a fender washer with a bolt into the birfield end instead. I have posted about this somewhere before... I have the thicker flanges on my truck with the short birfields.
Pretty cool. Learn something every day. If I ever need to replace them again it opens up options significantly.

Trying to go through the recommended Tune Up pdf and I’m getting to the EGR stuff. I don’t think removing is an option right now, and the OEM parts are discontinued. Anyone have an aftermarket replacement recommendation?

Also, if you are looking for something on EBAY, code PICKSOON will be up tomorrow for 15% off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom