3b in to a fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so im in the middle of a fj-40r build and im just starting to work on my engine, when a 82 bj-42 comes up for under 2000 the body has had some wieght reductions done over time. i was wondering if it would be worth my time to buy the bj for the engine. what all would have to be done for a 76 40 to run this engine.
thanks

so im in the middle of a fj-40r build and im just starting to work on my engine, when a 82 bj-42 comes up for under 2000 the body has had some wieght reductions done over time. i was wondering if it would be worth my time to buy the bj for the engine. what all would have to be done for a 76 40 to run this engine.
thanks

I'd call it worth it, especially if the 3B and transmission (H41) are in good shape. See the thread in my signature, but I'm in the process of doing just that.

Is the donor BJ-42 a 12V or 24V truck? That's probably the hardest part of converting--if you have to swap all the harness and stuff over.

Dan

Chances are you have a CDN spec 42 which is 24v on all electrics except headlights,you will have to use all the wiring and electrical components from the 42 donor,you will also need the gauge cluster from the 42 it is also 24v,you can keep the rear tail light harness just change out the bulbs,4wheel auto sells bulb kits for a good price.
You will probably need the rad out of the 42 the hoses are on the opposite sides if I recall,not sure were your fuel tank is on the 76-40 but the tank on the 42 is under the bed and the lines are different from the gasser and you should have the sediment filter on the 42.
Oh yeh your heater will have tobe changed over also

Myself and a couple others looked at the 42 tonight, didn't want to say anything till we had our chance, but it looks like it is going to be a donor/parts rig for whoever picks it up. If it looked like something that could be brought back to roadworthy condition, we were prepared to prime the oil system and try firing it. But IMOP, there is no hope for the truck as a whole.

you can buy a 12volt starter and alternator and run the gas harness. i did one and bought the alternator from auto parts store for a diesel pickup toyota they will fit.

You can't just change the starter and the alternator to12v since the glow system ,edic,voltage regulater,wiper motor,heater motor,relays are all 24 volt,like I said earlier the only thing 12V is the headlights.
You need to post this in the diesel section and you will get more feed back from the guys who know all about this.

its not getting the diesel maybe next time, as this is my first 40 so i dont really want to that complexed.

You can't just change the starter and the alternator to12v since the glow system ,edic,voltage regulater,wiper motor,heater motor,relays are all 24 volt,like I said earlier the only thing 12V is the headlights.
You need to post this in the diesel section and you will get more feed back from the guys who know all about this.

He said he wanted to put the 3B into the FJ40. He would have to change the starter, alternator , EDIC, and glow plug system to 12V, which he could probably get what he needs from a BJ60. the rest of the electrics in the truck getting the motor is already 12V. It is a matter of adapting the engine to the truck, not vice versa.

I put a 12V B3 into my 24V BJ40 by using all the 24V stuff from my B engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom