32 spline? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am sure I am missing something very obvious, but has anyone done a 32 spline conversion on the rear axle using 100 series parts? I am not at all familiar with the 100 series rear axle, but when looking at rear carriers they have a 32 spline rear carrier for a 9.5" R&P. Would it just be a matter of swapping the rear carrier, using 100 series bearings and seal outboard and having a custom shaft made? I know that poly performance sold their 80 series rear chromo business to Just Diffs so I imagine they could pretty easily do an 80 series setup 32 spline.

What am I missing?

If you just want it for the strength of the axles, you can use 32 spline side gears in the 80's 3rd. The carrier just needs to be bored out a bit for clearance of the larger axles.

If you want it for the larger r&p, vice versa, use the 30 spline side gears in the 105/79 3rd to suit the 80's axles.

If you want it for both, use the 105/79 3rd, 105 axles and redrill the rear hubs to suit the larger 8mm studs and dowls, and use the 105 cone washers and nuts.

I hope thats the info your after.

Well we don't get the 105 or the 79 here in the US. So I don't have access to any of those parts.

But is seems like you are saying I could use the 32 spline carrier like an ARB etc, use the 32 spline axles, but what about the outboard side? Do you swap the bearings and seals to fit the bigger axles? I guess there you would just use the 105 parts but I wonder if the 105 rear axle is the same as our 100 series.

I am not sure what larger R&P you mean, the 100 series and the 80 series should have the same size ring and pinion, right?

The carrier between the 80 and 105 is different. The ring gears are both listed as 9.5" but the 105 ring gear is significantly thicker with a slightly larger OD. With the 80, the carrier needs to be disassembled to remove the ring gear, vs the 105, where the ring gear just slides over the carrier.

When referring to O.B side, just use the 80 series hubs, bearings and seals. Axle bolts to the hub.

I am assuming that your talking about a full float rear end. All our 80's and 105's are. 100's are semi float.

As for availability, you could source a 79 3rd from up in Canada. They are/were used as mine trucks.

Edited for some clarity.

Last edited:
Something I completely forgot to mention, the 105 series 3rd is the same as the 100 series 3rd. The 100 series 3rd will bolt up to an 80 series housing.

I don't know if a 100/105 carrier will bolt to the 80 3rd casing. I'd be willing to bet it will with the right bearings.

So, 100 3rd, 105 axles and modded 80's hubs. Still, only if your talking full float. The 80 housing "may" need to be clearanced for the larger ring gear on the 100 3rd.

Hope the terminology is correct.

You can't actually tell by the pic, but this is a 75 series 3rd, with 80 series 3.73 gearset, 105 32 spline side gears, going into my 79 for better cruising rpms.

Moral of the story, with these landcruisers you can mix and match parts and they all still work together.

20141230_184127.jpg

I don't think you can get away with using the 100 series bearings as they are a sealed unit that is incorporated into the hub and the 80 is a removable design with the lock tabs/washers. The 32-spline shafts will fit into the 80 rear spindle so maybe some custom shafts are in your future from Nitro. If they could incorporate the 80 series bearings into the 32 spline shaft that would work, but they most likely would have to neck it down which would create a weak point.

Will the 100 series factory E-locker 3rd bolt in place of the 80-series factory e-locker 3rd?

That would basically convert the rear axle to use the later gearset which has the 32 spline pinion and 32 spline carrier?

Hmm this seems like too much for me to handle right now given my poor status. But good to know that in other parts of the world this is being done. Not that you hear of a lot of 80's with broken rear axles or R&P's but maybe that will change with guys doing diesel swaps, etc.

I imagine there is a pretty decent increase in strength going from say a stock 80 rear axle to a chromo 32 spline axle.

I think it would be easy to use a Dana or 14bolt. Both axles have better ring and pinion opinions, but that just my opinion.

Better ring and pinion options how? As far as gear ratios you mean. Because the 60 has a 9.75" r&p, the Toyota is 9.5". The Dana has 10 and 29 spline pinions and with the Toyota you can do 27, 29, and 32 spline pinions. The Dana can do a 35 spline 1.5" axle compared to the Toyota 1.37" 32 spline.

But I can get limited slips for both, the Toyota axle is lighter and there is zero fab involved, it is an offset axle, you don't have to fight with brakes as I am sure the Dana and 14 bolt calipers have much larger pistons so you would need to change master cylinders, etc.

But I think it can be done and it looks like Just Differentials has the parts to do it. Except for the 32 spline pinion flange. And the axles.

I'm digging on the drop out 3rd member and full float on the 80-series chassis. The potential for a bolt in 32 spline OEM style upgrade is pretty neat. You could pull the axle shafts out a bit and drop the 3rd member out for repair without even a jack or pulling the tires. The 9.5 ring and pinion isn't anything to sneeze at, I think the pinion has always been the weak link. The later version with the 32 spline pinion should be really stout. The limiting factor is probably the 32 spline shafts honestly. That is the only place a D60 or 14 bolt would pull away.

Better ring and pinion options how? As far as gear ratios you mean. Because the 60 has a 9.75" r&p, the Toyota is 9.5". The Dana has 10 and 29 spline pinions and with the Toyota you can do 27, 29, and 32 spline pinions. The Dana can do a 35 spline 1.5" axle compared to the Toyota 1.37" 32 spline.

But I can get limited slips for both, the Toyota axle is lighter and there is zero fab involved, it is an offset axle, you don't have to fight with brakes as I am sure the Dana and 14 bolt calipers have much larger pistons so you would need to change master cylinders, etc.

But I think it can be done and it looks like Just Differentials has the parts to do it. Except for the 32 spline pinion flange. And the axles.

I meant better gear ratios. I'm looking at like if things get out of control and you snap an axle or ring and pinion. It would drive me nuts to have to wait a couple of weeks to get replacement parts.

US Spec 80s from 91-92 are semi float and the 93-97s are full float. Once you go outside of the US market it's all over the place. I had 92 Euro spec HDJ80 axles with disc brakes and full float axles. Very weird.

91-92 80 series semi-float with c-clips to hold the shafts in. Has an inspection cover at the diff.
93-97 80 series full float with a 3rd member
98-07 100 series is semi float but the hubs bolt up at the end of the axle housing and uses a third member style pumpkin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom