30 Second Shaky Mirror Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw a BUNCH of links on how to stop the side view mirrors from shaking. Type 1 solution was to build replacement holes to hook the retaining springs. (glue washers or build them out of JB Weld) Type 2 solution is using zip ties. Both of those methods required opening the mirror, which was confusing me. I thought about it for a bit. Due to my not being able to figure out how to do the previously established simple fixes (even with step by step directions), I came up with this.

Shove some really soft foam behind the mirror. Done.

1) Find some really soft foam, and cut a couple pieces about 2"x2"x2".
2) Adjust the mirror all the way up and out (assuming the mirror is free to wobble inward, as it was on mine.)
3) Shove in the foam
4) Adjust the mirror

http://youtu.be/_wcwaVRAF5Y (my first YouTube video)

I like the outside the box thinking. But that might get kinda nasty if it retains water, no?

What water? He is in California and it never rains here.

Does the power adjuster still work?

Points for creativity - but this method does not appear to secure the broken anchor and places stress on the remaining anchor and the bottom screw.
If you don't opt for the zip-tie fix a good dab of RTV on the anchor/s should help keep your mirror secure and stable at speed.

What water? He is in California and it never rains here.
Except for all that rain and flooding in Northern California where the OP is from.

Oh, and the rest of us who live in areas with precipitation.

Oh, and for those of us who wash our 80's.

All jests aside, I commend the simplicity of your solution.

The foam I used, is extremely low density foam. The 2" thick layer can be smashed to less than 1/8" thick by hand, so it really isn't putting much stress on any parts. Being open cell foam, it soaks water like a sponge, but it also drains out like a sponge.
Yes, I have full range of adjustment of the mirror. The 50 second video I posted, included showing how to put the foam in and had time for me to get back in the driver seat, and adjust the mirror. It's actually closer to a 10 second fix, if you don't count time for adjusting the mirror, cutting foam, etc.
I considered doing a "pro version" install, by putting the foam in a zip lock sandwich bag, with a pinhole to allow air out (for altitude and temperature changes). I decided the plastic bag would stick out of the edges of the mirror, and that the foam would dry quickly enough.
The foam is slightly visible at the edges of the mirror. If I'd found some black foam that was as soft and insubstantial as what I used, I would have preferred to use that. I think the white foam will get dirty in a hurry, and not show white at the edges.

...smells like a sponge :meh:

Just saying :p

Interesting idea but you are still fixing the symptom and not the problem.

did not have any lock with tighting screws , so I had some 3/8 x 3/8 weather stripping the kind with the sticky tape on one side,mine came in dark grey,(3 bucks at HD)if you have to buy a whole roll. installed around the mirror edge ,putting the sticky side toward the mirror housing.left 2 gaps at bottom to drain any water . works perfect,invisible and power mirror easily slides around the foam. did this a year ago,still perfect. Hope it helps and THANKS for all of your support here !

My update after 2 years:

Mirrors still don't shake. No dried sponge smell. Mirrors are still fully adjustable.

Video of how fast it is. Start to finish including adjusting the mirror when done, is about 30 seconds.

I was using pieces I cut off a pool noodle but they kept coming out. I'm gonna try this asap!! New Mexico climate so I ain't worried about moisture either. Ha!

Try this

I got my mirror stabilized, but the main thing now is the entire mirror housing was hit and won't stay in place when I drive. I am thinking of just using some foaming gorilla glue to keep it mounted and in permanent place (even though I won't be able to pull in the mirror in tight spots). Here's where it is jacked up now, highlighted in red pen.

1572548029826.png

I got my mirror stabilized, but the main thing now is the entire mirror housing was hit and won't stay in place when I drive. I am thinking of just using some foaming gorilla glue to keep it mounted and in permanent place (even though I won't be able to pull in the mirror in tight spots). Here's where it is jacked up now, highlighted in red pen.

View attachment 2121857

@NLXTACY has you covered. Wits' End has your solution. Not an uncommon problem.

80 Series Floppy Mirror Fix

Sweet! Is there a video I can watch on how to install that fix for the Floppy Mirror using that thingamajig?

A few points I want to post:
The foam I used is super fluffy. NOT rigid like a pool noodle. My suggestion is intended to put the slightest pressure from the backside of the mirror just enough to stop it from flopping.
There are other posts (some mentioned earlier in this thread) about how to actually fix the issue (JB Weld, zip ties, or new parts). My suggestion is only intended to stop symptoms. My mirror has been flop free for 4 years so far.

Yes, but is it OEM foam?? (/Sarcasm).

If not, most hear won't use that solution!

I've been using gas station napkins, replaced about twice a year for, for almost 5 years now. Even in wet climate it works just fine and they don't fall out.

Not having to switch them out would actually be kinda nice though so glad to hear it's still working out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom