30 amp vs 50 amp meter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All:
Greetings from Idaho.
My speedometer is not working after I replaced the old speedometer cable with a new one. I think the old cable had not been properly attached over the years and wore the inside where the cable attaches to the instrument cluster. With that I ordered a new cluster and it came with a 50 amp meter, put it in speedometer cable attaches just fine but the FJ won't start. Actually had smoke coming out of around the amp meter. Pulled the new cluster and put in the old with the 30 amp meter and she starts just fine.

Can I get a 30 amp meter to replace the 50?

Thanks, Craig
20200903_155946.jpg

Can't you just swap meters? Are the dimensions different. I don't have a 50 amp meter to compare and I can't tell from the photo. The 30 amp is connected directly in line with power to the truck, whereas the 50 amp meter uses a shunt.

I was hoping I could just sway meter but the dimensions are different! The 30 amp won't fit into the holes in the 50 amp cluster. I feel like I just wasted $400.00.

What should be in your truck? I don’t see a year/model.

You can not just use a 30 in a 50. And visaversa. You will burn em up.

What should be in your truck? I don’t see a year/model.

You can not just use a 30 in a 50. And visaversa. You will burn em up.

its sounds like he already smoked the 50amp.

I have a 3rd generation cluster with a 30amp meter. Isn't there a way to modify 50 AMP external shunt into 50 AMP internal shunt ?
I read where the 4th generation change was the AMP gauge changed from 30 AMP internal shunt into 50 AMP external shunt

Last edited:
Two different clusters. The 50A is not really an amp meter. There's a thread about how to make it work on here somewhere. Maybe in the big thread on clusters, gages and stuff

Like was said, the 50 amp uses a shunt and the needle really measures a sample of current flow. The 30 amp , all current flows through the meter. So, by putting the 50 in a 30 place, you may have fried the internal wiring depending on shunt design. A basic function of the 2 designs are below.

I got a complete cluster in very good shape for around $100 a few months ago. Why not just track down all of the correct parts for your year?

I am not sure if you need it, seems like you already have one, but I have an extra 30amp meter if you need it.

Two different clusters. The 50A is not really an amp meter. There's a thread about how to make it work on here somewhere. Maybe in the big thread on clusters, gages and stuff

Here‘s the thread.

Yup, that's the one. Thanks for covering for my laziness.

Yup, that's the one. Thanks for covering for my laziness.

No worries, some of these really solid tech threads I add to my Watch since you never know when you are going to need them

Here‘s the thread.

Specifically Post #301. I plan on fabricating a fusible link and sub-harness to the ammeter with the two 5A fuses for my '71 FJ40 build. I already have a NOS 50A ammeter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom