3 Very simple fan clutch question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 95's original fan clutch is on it's way out. It's the original black hub version. I've read that the black hub is actually better than the blue hub.

With that said, would I be best off to just rebuild my factory black hub like in land tanks thread? Or should I get a blue and do the mod?

Does the black hub spring also need to be adjusted or is it good in stock location.

I'd try a rebuild on what you have. It's cheapest and you can learn from it. The big issue with these is typically the gasket/o-ring that seals the two halves. Treat it carefully and you're like be OK. if not, then you get the blue hub one, as I don't think it's otherwise available except buying the entire unit.

Been awhile since I read it, but maybe the black hub has a different spring/arrangement???:hmm:

I'm not really worried about the money aspect. I'm worried about the functionality aspect.

I found it funny as well- I just ordered a blue hub Aisin off of Amazon and I can attest to it's quality. It is a genuine Aisin clutch. The price was lower on rockauto even with their 3 day shipping, but I needed it very fast so I went with Amazon. I used the 20k fluid that is also sold on Amazon. My fan works great, couldn't be happier.

Is the only thing that goes bad in these the fluid ? Is there a way that they can fail in the locked up position so they are always drawing maximum air ?

Yes, the bearing can fail/freeze solid, which will cause the clutch body and fan to rotate at 100% of water pump rpm. IIRC, the bearing is not replaceable, so then it's toast! John

Someone should just offer the rebuild service. I'd send mine. Off to know it was done right.

Fellas, not tryin to be an ass, but price and who does them is all in the 40+page thread on this subject.

The questions I asked will help all of us that can do the project and have a good core to start with.

Again, I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm merely trying to avert a major hijack such as I've seen in several posts I've read while googling this topic on here.

The black hub is a good clutch. If it's in good condition, turns smooth, spring isn't rusted out, etc, easy deal to refurb. I would just change the fluid to ~10K, ~45ml, and see what you have, should work well.

Tools,

From what I can tell by looking at it still on the truck, it looks looks just like the one from my 93 and my 94. I've sold both of those trucks tho.

How do I tell for sure. Is eaton stamped/marked on it or?

Thanks for the help

Will

@Tools R Us

Edit:upon further inspection its actually gold or the paint has come off. I'm gonna guess it's the eaton you speak of.

Will

The Eaton is a fine clutch. Put ~17-20K in it. I used about 50ml.

Are there any links on how to properly drain the eaton? I read that reservoir holes should be propped open but haven't found a picture of what they look like.

Thanks again
Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom