3 on the Tree to 3 on the floor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to move the gearshift from the column to the floor, what is the best way to do that and is there anyone in the Ft Worth Tx area who is cheap but reliable..

I would imagine it's a farily easy swap, but more than likely you'll have to change your transmission. Then you'll have to cut a hole in your center crowl, install a shift boot and bada bang you're done! I wouldn't think it should cost more than $500 for labor.

While you're at it you should replace the clutch and rebuild the transfer case.

It is as easy as replacing the top plate on the tranny. Hard part for me was getting all the old column linkage off.
Post in "Parts wanted" for a 3 speed floorshift, I've seen them go from $25-$75.
Cut a hole in your tranny hump and you're done.

Ed

I would imagine it's a farily easy swap, but more than likely you'll have to change your transmission. Then you'll have to cut a hole in your center crowl, install a shift boot and bada bang you're done! I wouldn't think it should cost more than $500 for labor. While you're at it you should replace the clutch and rebuild the transfer case.
Why would someone say this? Is it pleasurable to confuse the noobs?:rolleyes:

To change from column to floor shift requires removing the major pieces of the column shift linkage, then swapping out the original tranny top cover for one w/ the floor shifter. A hole will need to be cut in the tunnel cover, or if you're lucky you can find somebody parting out a 72-73 FJ40 and buy the tunnel cover & tranny top as a complete kit.

Spectre also sells a floorshift kit on this page.

Last edited:
I accidentally cut a hole in my crowl once.........man did that hurt!:D

Don't do it! If you do, I will take the linkage off your hands.

Do you plan on keeping this truck even close to stock? If so, do not replace the col shift with floor shift.....the cool factor goes waaaay down.....

Back to lurking......

i would either not do it or switch to a 4 speed when i was doing it

Don't do it! If you do, I will take the linkage off your hands.

Do you plan on keeping this truck even close to stock? If so, do not replace the col shift with floor shift.....the cool factor goes waaaay down.....

Back to lurking......

Its an easy conversion I've done it on both my 70 and just did it on my 67. Like Degnol said the hardest part is getting all the old linkage out of the way. I got took on Landcruiser.net for a used one at $150. I bid on one on Ebay at the same time in better shape and won it for $50. It pays to be patient.

Shreg if you want my old linkage its all still good with the exception of the shift bushings it came off a stock 67.

It is as easy as replacing the top plate on the tranny. Hard part for me was getting all the old column linkage off.
Post in "Parts wanted" for a 3 speed floorshift, I've seen them go from $25-$75.
Cut a hole in your tranny hump and you're done.

Ed

Dang it. I try to help and I muck it up by making it too difficult. Do what Ed suggests. You'll save a lot of heart ache.

My 3 on-the-tree is getting rarer each day....:cheers:

I enjoy the nostalgic factor...more room up front...theft deterrent...and I have no trouble whatsoever shifting...

I'm also wondering why anyone would want to change from col to floor?

My first Cruiser was three on the tree, I was in HS and my GF could scoot over real close to me. ;)

3 on the tree rocks...

Why would you want to put it on the floor unless you put in a 4 speed? You loose space and you still have to shift with the right hand and not to mention it's a theft deterant to modern day kids... :D

I'm also wondering why anyone would want to change from col to floor?

My first Cruiser was three on the tree, I was in HS and my GF could scoot over real close to me. ;)

Personally my wife wants to drive my cruiser and can't on a column shift. In addition the bushings were shot and causing such sloppy shifts causing grinding it wasn't worth rebuilding for me. I like the original Column shift when its working to its potential. My first car was a 55 Chevy Sedan with 3 SPD on the tree. That car was fun to drive but we restored the car completely and shifting was a thing of beauty especially when your 15 yrs old. In my 70 model the PO butchered the shift linkage and I put in a 4spd tranny with the 3spd transfercase when I did my frame off which was nice combo. :)

Last edited:
it takes a little work to convert have done many and no one ever went back the top plate bolts on to the existing 3 speed tranny have to remove the colum stuff and cut hole in floor but its pretty straight forward its your truck so do it the way you want cool or not good luck

I would like to move the gearshift from the column to the floor, what is the best way to do that and is there anyone in the Ft Worth Tx area who is cheap but reliable..

I'm in Bonham, about 90 miles from ya' and have all the stuff to do it.......email me and I can give ya my phone number
butchbaker@cableone.net

Too bad you are so far away. I got a 3 speed trans with transfer sitting on my garage floor. It is in just the right place that I hang my toe on it at least 2 times a week. If you're going to do-find a 4 speed.

Personally my wife wants to drive my cruiser and can't on a column shift. In addition the bushings were shot and causing such sloppy shifts causing grinding it wasn't worth rebuilding for me. I like the original Column shift when its working to its potential. My first car was a 55 Chevy Sedan with 3 SPD on the tree. That car was fun to drive but we restored the car completely and shifting was a thing of beauty especially when your 15 yrs old. In my 70 model the PO butchered the shift linkage and I put in a 4spd tranny with the 3spd transfercase when I did my frame off which was nice combo. :)
I can see it if the linkage is shot.

I did a conversion on a Maverick i got from my brother, paid $400 for it. The shift collar broke three days later. I don't remember the numbers now but it was a lot less expensive to do a Hurst Floor shift conversion than repair the factory linkage.

Wouldn't something like this work?

Personally my wife wants to drive my cruiser and can't on a column shift. In addition the bushings were shot and causing such sloppy shifts causing grinding it wasn't worth rebuilding for me.)

Best of reasons to convert......IMO.:)

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom