3 on the Tree and Steering Column removal for Body Off Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
prairiecruisers.wordpress.com
I apologize in advance if this isn't the right way to ask a question. I haven't posted much on IH8Mud. I am starting a body off restoration of my 1970 FJ40. It is all original with a 3 on the Tree. Are there any good resources out there for videos or documentation on how to remove the shifter and the steering column so I can lift the body off of the frame? There seems to be a shortage of videos and documentation out there for disconnecting the steering column and shifter from the steering box. I think I want to keep the 3 on the Tree, so I don't want to destroy and replace the steering box or the shifter. Most of the videos and help I have found don't include the 3 on the Tree.

Thanks for any help you can be

I apologize in advance if this isn't the right way to ask a question. I haven't posted much on IH8Mud. I am starting a body off restoration of my 1970 FJ40. It is all original with a 3 on the Tree. Are there any good resources out there for videos or documentation on how to remove the shifter and the steering column so I can lift the body off of the frame? There seems to be a shortage of videos and documentation out there for disconnecting the steering column and shifter from the steering box. I think I want to keep the 3 on the Tree, so I don't want to destroy and replace the steering box or the shifter. Most of the videos and help I have found don't include the 3 on the Tree.

Thanks for any help you can be
I would first check out the FSM (factory service manual) for instructions. We have some here Land Cruiser Factory Service Manuals (FSMs) - https://www.cruisercult.com/factory-service-manuals
That should get you started.
You will need to take out the shift lever as part of the operations, I went over it in this video for replacing the bushing. But same operation.

Rest of the steps should be in the FSM.

I would first check out the FSM (factory service manual) for instructions. We have some here Land Cruiser Factory Service Manuals (FSMs) - https://www.cruisercult.com/factory-service-manuals
That should get you started.
You will need to take out the shift lever as part of the operations, I went over it in this video for replacing the bushing. But same operation.

Rest of the steps should be in the FSM.

Thanks for the great post. I wish I had watched the video yesterday before I took my 3 on the Tree column shifter apart. I pulled it out a little too hard and I still have the spring, but the pins flew somewhere else in the garage. I'll have to look more in-depth for them today. Thanks for your help. I have a service manual for my Cruiser, but it doesn't have the 3 on the Tree in it. I'll browse through those on your website and see which one fits. Thanks again.

Thanks for the great post. I wish I had watched the video yesterday before I took my 3 on the Tree column shifter apart. I pulled it out a little too hard and I still have the spring, but the pins flew somewhere else in the garage. I'll have to look more in-depth for them today. Thanks for your help. I have a service manual for my Cruiser, but it doesn't have the 3 on the Tree in it. I'll browse through those on your website and see which one fits. Thanks again.
The Factory Repair Manuals are awesome. I have hope now. Thanks for the link. This will make the restoration so much easier!

Thanks for the prompting @rainingagain. I promise I will do a build thread. I have been documenting it on the website I dedicated to this project at Prairie State Cruisers - https://prairiecruisers.wordpress.com/, but I will start posting pics here also. I am not very skilled, but I started this project a few years back and got so frustrated with about 80% of the bolts I was removing breaking and not really having anything like the Factory Repair Manuals that @Cruiser Cult pointed me to above that I had lost hope. My wife and I have been driving back and forth between St Louis and Los Angeles 3 or 4 times per year and in May we decided to stop by @Cruiser Corps in OKC on the way back to St Louis to get a tour of their facility. Seeing them bring old LandCruisers back to life inspired me to get back on the build. I started up again this week and have made some good progress. My goal is to document it well enough that it will make it easier the next time I do something like this, or to help out someone wanting to attempt the same thing. Take care and thanks for the prompting.

I was finally able to get the Steering Column and the 3 on the Tree removed. Now I can disconnect all the other electrical lines and brake lines so I can lift the body off of the frame. I don't have many photos, but here is a video of removing the Steering Column and 3 on the Tree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom