2nd battery install with inverter and dual outlets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dustinryan.com
Just finished installing the 2nd battery and wiring up the rear for power.

List of components.

Slee water relocation kit
2nd battery tray from slee (doesn't come with the 5 bolts needed to attach to car so had to buy them at True Value)
group 27 marine battery 110amp hour from walmart $79
4 guage wire 29ft
Blue Sea Systems ACR battery Isolator
120A breaker from 2nd battery to back
100A Fuse between 1st batt and 2nd batt
twin 60A fuses in rear distribution block with 10A fuses on cigarette outlets x2
Blue Seas Systems Ground Busbar for rear components
Wagon 400watt pure sine wave inverter
power strip

I wanted to mount all components for power in the rear of the cruiser to power the arb fridge and charge laptops and camera gear. The goal was to mount it all in the rear passenger side in the little compartment to keep things dry vs cutting out the compartment and mounting inside the wheel well where water can drip from the window. I surface mounted the fuse block with velcro as well as the inverter and power strip. Every thing is removable easily to upgrade later if I find that 400w is not enough power. I also decided to keep all of the outlets inside the compartment so when they are plugged in they wont get bumped by cargo in the back, especially the fridge cigarette lighter plug which come out easily.

IMG_20120913_131306.jpg

IMG_20120913_131314.jpg

IMG_20120913_184643.jpg
IMG_20120913_131306.jpg
IMG_20120913_131314.jpg
IMG_20120913_184643.jpg

Notice the super awesome pink power strip.. hey it works.. it was all they had at true value that was small and had a 90 degree plug..

IMG_20120913_184736.jpg

IMG_20120913_184747.jpg

IMG_20120913_184752.jpg
IMG_20120913_184736.jpg
IMG_20120913_184747.jpg
IMG_20120913_184752.jpg

Great install. Nice place for the inverter and auxiliary outlet.

Someone asked for more pictures of the inverter.. So here it is. Its the silver box under the outlets, pretty small and seems to be a little better quality then what you get from local stores.. Because of the Pure Sine Wave form you can safely power your electronics without annoying buzzes or streaks on tvs or computers.. There is room for a larger unit but I dont think I need much more as I wont be powering power tools or high amperage stuff.

IMG_20120913_204902.jpg

IMG_20120913_204925.jpg
IMG_20120913_204902.jpg
IMG_20120913_204925.jpg

Someone asked for more pictures of the inverter.. So here it is. Its the silver box under the outlets, pretty small and seems to be a little better quality then what you get from local stores.. Because of the Pure Sine Wave form you can safely power your electronics without annoying buzzes or streaks on tvs or computers.. There is room for a larger unit but I dont think I need much more as I wont be powering power tools or high amperage stuff.
]

Thank you....:cheers:

Very nice. I dream of doing/having that done some day.

Very nice. I dream of doing/having that done some day.

I waited a few years longer then I wanted but now its done. The cost was not too bad, its the little things that nickel and dime ya but I would say I was approaching $400 all said and done.

Great job! Did the SLEE 2nd battery tray come with decent instructions?

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Great job! Did the SLEE 2nd battery tray come with decent instructions?

The Bottle Relocation Kit came with stellar step by step instructions but the 2nd battery tray came with nothing but the hold down bar and the j bolts. I thought it would have come with the 5 bolts to mount the battery tray but it did not. I had to stop the install and pick some up the next day. The battery tray is pretty easy to install with just a little trimming where it touches the radiator.

Piece of mind having a second batt, I can use my jumper cables to jump myself if my starter batt dies.

charleston said:
The Bottle Relocation Kit came with stellar step by step instructions but the 2nd battery tray came with nothing but the hold down bar and the j bolts. I thought it would have come with the 5 bolts to mount the battery tray but it did not. I had to stop the install and pick some up the next day. The battery tray is pretty easy to install with just a little trimming where it touches the radiator.

Piece of mind having a second batt, I can use my jumper cables to jump myself if my starter batt dies.

Nice. this mod is near the top of my list, once I finish baselining my "new to me" rig this weekend.

This is why I love and hate the 80......they are amazing trucks but theres WAY TOO MUCH STUFF I want/can do for mods that = way too much time and money. but im still going to spend both :p great job by the way. adding this to my very long list!

Chadderz said:
This is why I love and hate the 80......they are amazing trucks but theres WAY TOO MUCH STUFF I want/can do for mods that = way too much time and money. but im still going to spend both :p great job by the way. adding this to my very long list!

You are NOT kidding...this is my 3rd 80, and the first where I've been in position to do some decent mods. Fortunately, PO did OME and ARB front, so I have a nice headstart. I have to keep remembering - PM and Reliability first, everything else comes second.....

Nice neat work. Sorta reminds me of my similar install, but tidier;)

Yep, all that cable, etc sure adds up with the price of copper these days. But that's not something to skimp on. Big phat wires makes 12 volt stuff happier, especially going all the way to the back of an 80.

Have you found the 400w to be enough, or are you going to go bigger? If so, which one? Subscribed.

Have you found the 400w to be enough, or are you going to go bigger? If so, which one? Subscribed.

The 400w is fine for charging batteries etc for my electronic devices. If I wanted to run power tools or a hair dryer then no. The reason I chose this one is its a True Sine Wave inverter not a Modified sine wave.. The latter can damage sensitive electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom