2FE Build in NJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a laundry list of repairs following CMCC '10 I've decided to take on a 2fe build. I started the weekend with a bad knock in the motor and while I left with a running truck I also left with a burnt clutch (thanks to "milkshake"), bent drive shaft, and some body damage.
I was going to replace with a 2f I bought 'rebuilt', but turned out someone did a poor job or rebuilding it and I found a bunch of metal shavings in the motor and all the bearings were shot. Soooo I picked up a 1988 fj62 that runs good, but was beat hard and put up wet.

Ultimate goal is: 2fe / sm465 / lc 3speed transfer.

Right now I'm in the processing of raising funds by selling some of my spare parts and collecting the rest of the parts I need.

I have two '77 2f engines and the running 3fe. I know I need to have flat top pistons, one of the 2f blocks I have is in good shape and just needs a good hone. Is there any reason I can't use the '77 block and swap in the flat top pistons from the 3fe???
fj621.jpg
P1290868.jpg
P1290875.jpg

As long as you have all the accessory mounting features you need on the block, I think the flat top pistons are the only major issue.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/87140-best-2f.html <-- You might want to read through this. It goes through a number of the changes that took place (pistons, rods, oil gallery plugs, ....) and when the changes were made.

I thought about just swapping the 3fe, that was my first instinct when I got the truck, but I've talked to a couple of people who have swapped the 3f head(carb version) and had great results in power. Also, the odometer on the truck stopped working at 160k so I have no idea how many true miles are on it, but I'm pretty sure it's over 200k. At this point I want to do it one time and do it right, I've learned from experience that the quick and easy route never works best.

I hear you, the engine I sourced had 180k miles as well and I plan on going with a late 2F block if it goes. I just replaced all the seals and gaskets for now since the compression was good, it's a lot easier to swap the lower end later now that everything else has been sorted ;) These blocks are pretty close ...

Tucker

Milkshake

Hey do you mean this Milkshake!!:bounce::beer: You did some good hard wheeling that day!! :clap: Jeff
Nick2010Milkshake.jpg
NickCMCC2010.jpg

Oh yeah my Avatar is from the day before!!

That's great Jeff...that would be the moment of failure. Hopefully I have this project finished for the trip again, but this time I'm staying away from that hole.

Quick Update and Question

Finally after working for the past few weeks straight I'll be working all weekend on stripping the 62 down for parts.

Friday I'm picking up a rebuilt sm465 that I found on Craigslist this week and I'm waiting on the transfer case adapters from shawn russell to be finished.

I know the adapters are for the 3speed case. My question is I have the later case that was the 1.99 I think. Will that work or do I need the older 3speed transfer with the 2.31 lo-gear? I've yet to seperate either of my toyota transfer cases from their stock transmissions so I'm not sure what the difference in how they bolt up is????

I'll post pics of the fj62 stripping process this weekend...

My reasoning there is I wanted to go with the plate style adapter because the advance adapter one is much longer and I would need to move the rear axle back. Also advance adapters is $250 more expensive than the plate style I'm going with. I figured with a case saver I'll be in a pretty good place with the 3 spd tcase. I would also need to get the parts to make the split case mechanical rather than vacuum actuated.

Donor truck stripped down

I got the donor 62 stripped down to a rolling chassis and got the engine out and all the wiring sitting in the garage ready to be torn down. This weekend I want to get the head off so I can take it with the block and all engine parts over to my engine guy on monday so we can figure out what needs to be done. Couple pics of the progress...easiest way to move and wash a rolling chassis is to just pick it up! Somehow the can of arizona didn't even fall off at that angle driving around!

All I have left to do in acquiring parts is wait for the tcase adapter and locate an F bellhousing. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of one a few years ago.

Plenty of work to do and parts to sell in the meantime.
P4020966.jpg
P4010937.jpg
P4020947.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom