2f won't idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have been out of town for the last two weeks, made it home today. i fired up my cruiser and it ran fine for a while. but after 10 minutes it started to run "unsmooth". then i discovered that it didn't want to idle.
screwed around a bit, before i realized it would idle with the choke pulled out. you can hear it idle faster then slowdown, pretty rough.
i'm i right in thinking i have a carb issue? could it be a vacum leak?
does anyone have a good trick for locating vacum leaks?
it is a '78 with a stock non-u.s. carb.

accelerate

does it accelerate and run fine at higher rpms? or rough all around?

ya it accelerates fine maybe a bit rough. but higher rpms seem mostly normal. no noticible power loss on acceleration. i'm going to pull the carb apart tomorrow. it was dirty when i got the truck. took a few attempts to running good maybe i'm not done yet.

It could very well be a vacuum leak...
How much choke do you need to make it run? 1/2 choke=vacuum leak. Full choke=idle fuel solenoid.
To check for a vacuum leak, I use a vacuum gauge. Sometimes you can hear it, too.

Check the engine fuse, the idle fuel solenoid and then check for vacuum leaks.

You can spray carb cleaner around the base of the carb and around the intake manifold while it's running, if it revs up, you found a vacuum leak.

thanks guys i''ll start with these suggestions. it needs about half choke to run okay.

i was just messing around with the carb. pulled the jets out, wasn't able to do a full tear down and blow it out with compressed air, but i put my hand over the air horn while it was running, and the rpm's raced.
so choking off the air flow with my hand made the fuel air mixture richer.so it's getting too much air...
vacume leak?
is my rational sound? i'll try the carb cleaner trick next.

well, seems there might be a small vacume leak around throttle shaft...
any repair for that or am i looking for a new carb?

thanks loco. you nailed it, burnt fuse. have to remember that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom