2F fuel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone tried aftermarket fuel pumps for the 2F (77) engine? I can buy it from Toyota at 165 $ (canadian$) or at 60 $ at my local auto part. I's there any reason I should pay the 100$ more to get the Toyota part?.

I bought my pump from fourwheelauto.com in Edmonton. It seemed to be the best price.. I can't remember exactly what I paid but it was a good price.

Try one and see what happens. That is quite a difference. If it fails or performs poorly, get the OEM one.

My .02

Dan

I went aftermarket, but upgraded (?) to electric w/ a pressure regulator, rather than the standard mechanical. This option is cheaper than OEM as well.

jm

mine on the 82 just started leaking(last night), so I ordered a OEM pump(an spacer/gaskets) for $95.....I generaly pass on the aftermarket "lifetime guarantee" stuff. I have read that some of the aftermarket pumps are made by the OEM maker....but I dunno for sure.

John

i replaced my mech pump about a year ago with one from my local checker auto for about 45.00 first one lasted about 3 months but they replaced it for free and the one that i got on now has been on for about a year so far so good as long as they will replace them for free i am cool with that its all about the $ i guess good luck

i replaced my mech pump about a year ago with one from my local checker auto for about 45.00 first one lasted about 3 months but they replaced it for free and the one that i got on now has been on for about a year so far so good as long as they will replace them for free i am cool with that its all about the $ i guess good luck

for 2x the price I think it's worth it for OEM, I can't imagine driving something and always wondering in the back of my mind "hmmm when is this pump gonna go out again" good chance it will not be in the driveway when it does.

"Lifetime warantee" means you will be replacing them for your lifetime......aint worth it to me, I got way to many rigs to keep on the road and my time is worth something.

John H

just because you buy somthing that is oem does not mean it is full proof and is not going to go out imo dont waste your money and if you go to many rigs it sounds like you better have a yard sale. 

just because you buy somthing that is oem does not mean it is full proof and is not going to go out imo dont waste your money and if you go to many rigs it sounds like you better have a yard sale. 

hmmmm, lets see of the hundereds of OEM parts I have bought for Cruisers, how many went bad......ZERO. Well I take that back the reman alt for my fj80 only lasted another 130,000 miles.....and yes I bought another.

I'm not an OEM purest(sp) by any means but I have found that OEM Toyota stuff does last along time, it fits right, and in most cases isn't much more $$ than aftermarket. I'm sure there are good aftermarket replacement parts....but I'm not gonna wade thru all the crapy stuff hoping to find the few good ones. Last thing I want is the fuel pump on my fj40 to crap out in the middle of knowwhere....2X the aftermarket cost is worth the piece of mind...to me.

No need for a yard sale....just a bigger yard :G

John H

I have told my story a couple of times but it will let you know my feelings about aftermarket fuel pumps. I bought my 87 fj60 in cali and started to drive home, drove 200 miles, fuel pump went out. Bought a Checker fuel pump w/spacer and drove another 100 miles, got to Blythe and fuel pump went out. The push arm had broken in two. Put another aftermaket fuel pump and drove home to Phx. Pulled out fuel pump and it looked worn. I put in a Toyota and haven't had a problem since and it has been over a year. Maybe I just had bad luck, but I won't go with an aftermarket agian, maybe an electric as a backup.

Where did you buy and OEM pump for $95.00? My local dealer wanted $145.00

my local dealer(Titus Will Toyota in Tacoma WA) $95 is with my discount(and they deliver to my house), retail is $119, this is for a 82 fj40 pump, the earlier pumps might be more, not sure. Beware of some dealers that give discounts as I have seen some jack up retail then offer a discount which ='s out to normal retail. My dealer don't play that game.

John

I have told my story a couple of times but it will let you know my feelings about aftermarket fuel pumps.  I bought my 87 fj60 in cali and started to drive home, drove 200 miles, fuel pump went out.  Bought a Checker fuel pump w/spacer and drove another 100 miles, got to Blythe and fuel pump went out.  The push arm had broken in two.  Put another aftermaket fuel pump and drove home to Phx.  Pulled out fuel pump and it looked worn.  I put in a Toyota and haven't had a problem since and it has been over a year.  Maybe I just had bad luck, but I won't go with an aftermarket agian, maybe an electric as a backup.

and this is EXACTY the reason I run OEM parts, I aint sharpest crayon on the box.....but I'm not stupid and have learned by my and others mistakes.

John

LP.

That is known as price escalators. Don't use 'em myself. :)

CCOT. OEM for $95-$99 depending on the year. They may even throw in a free strap or something.

HTH.
Todd Bull.

thank you guys. I will go with the toyota pump. I don't want to have trouble like SJ . :nono:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom