2F-E Swap for Fiona (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well Im finally gettin ready to do the swap so i figured Id get some pictures and start up the build thread for the swap. We all know im a picture whore so i will do my best to post as many as possible even of some of the stupid stuff i mean hell it could help someone later on.

What i am starting with here is my Fiona an 84 FJ60
I will be using an 85 2F block that came out of an 85 FJ60 and i will be using an 88 3FE head out of an 88FJ62 I have both complete engines with all the acessories (i think with the exception of the a/c pump on the 3FE) I plan to try and retain all of the 2F bracketry as it seems it would be the easiest way to go about things. if need be I do own a welder and know how to use it.;)

I will be running a desmoged completed engine, meaning no AIR rail, no Smog pump, no excess vac lines or any of that other crap. Unfortunatly as the way things panned out i will not be doing a rebuild with the swap. Im short on money and want my truck more drivable and at least wheelable. The 2F we beleive to have right around 130,xxx miles wich is over 100,000 miles less than what i have now so it should get me by just fine for the next 30-60k miles it may take for me to have the 350 SBC in there. The head on the 3FE engine we think to have been done around 20k miles ago... not really sure there, no matter im gonna run it as long as it visually looks ok.

ok now time for some pictures!:cheers:

here is the Donor 2F i just got home with.
2F-E 001.jpg
2F-E 002.jpg
2F-E 003.jpg

Worn out 2F in Fiona as of right now.
2F-E 004.jpg
2F-E 005.jpg

couple of shots of the 3FE hiding in the corner.
2F-E 006.jpg
2F-E 007.jpg

and now pictures of the reason for the newer engine / build up. (other than the obvious complete and total lack of power and it having no compression on #3 cylinder)

It cost me 4 quarts of 20w50 oil every 200 miles! and no it doesnt really leak much.

see the smoke!

first picture it idling in the driveway, leaving a nice blue cloud of bug killer...

2nd pic you can kinda see the smoke hitting right in front of the tire as it idles.

3rd pic i reved it up to 1500 RPM and it bellowes out.
2F-E 009.jpg
2F-E 010.jpg
2F-E 011.jpg

How is this coming along?

Good for you! I like to see these 2F-E swaps! I'm sure you will love it when it is done.

One recommendation: put in a new cam. The one from Delta ran me $125 with shipping and the turn around was super fast. That made a really nice gain for my 2F-E. That was (so far) my best dollar per HP gain.

ok well i have been kinda busy and poor so nothing has really gotten done, in fact i just moved my 2F from the bed of the truck to the garage today...:lol:

but i assure yall it will start goin pretty quick, well i hope so anyhow.

this isnt much of an update as i just got the motors side by side and havent started anything yet. Its 100*F outside right now and prolly 110*F+ in my garage and i have no fan in there so even sitting on my but im dripping sweat.

I plan on goin out there a little later and pullin the valve covers, and heads on the 2 engines. I have something im wanting to try to had my own personal "zing" to the 2F-E and im hoping it will be visible... we shall see... ill give yall a hint it involves a welder. and of course some paint. :grinpimp:

i will try and keep the pics coming as i do stuff. im doin this all on my own just like everything else so it could possibly be a slow process. if anyone has any pics they would like to see a close up of or whatever leme know and i can get them for you.
2F-E 001.jpg
2F-E 002.jpg

You're my hero!

Here's what I have in mind, so see if it sounds similar

I have a 2 F in good shape with basically new motor compression numbers. I have a 3FE in unknown condition but that was running when I got it with good power and no smoke.

I want to use the 2F short block as is, and pull the 3FE head and get it rebuilt at the local machine shop (the one Pighead used for his build).

Then combine the two on a budget as I don't want to plow a lot of cash into the motor. Then install in my FJ40 which has a tired, but running 2F.

Keep posting up, and I'll follow your lead, particularly when it comes to wiring the truck.

Cool.:beer:

ok well got the head off of the 2F but not before breaking one of my Matco Impact sockets with my Snap On 3/8's impact gun...

anyhow not important here are some photos.

1.) pulled valve cover off
2.) removed rocker arms and shaft, pulled head off with intake exhaust manifolds and all
3.) nother of head off.
2F-E 003.jpg
2F-E 004.jpg
2F-E 005.jpg

1.) Cylinders #5 and 6

2.) cylinder #6 has some marks in it but nothing major

3.) i can just slightly feel the mark on the left side however when running my finger across it. Its not that big of a grove and my finger nail does not catch on it it just kinda feels like a low spot i guess you could say.

Depending on how much the machine shop wants i may go ahead and bore it .030 over as i already have the pistons but no rings... but probally not as money is very tight right now for me and im just trying to make it last another 50k / hold on long enough for me to drop my SBC in. Im doing this cause i think if im gonna do another toyota engine "just to get me by" why do another 2F? how about a budget 2F-E then if nothing else i get EFI as well as hopefully some extra power for runnin trails.:meh:
2F-E 006.jpg
2F-E 007.jpg
2F-E 008.jpg

1.) cylinder #1
2.) cylinder #2
3.) cylinder #5

this motor was in the back of my truck for a couple weeks and it did rain just a bit with out the carb covered, thats why it looks like there is rust on the walls of the cylinders even tho they are still smooth to the touch.
2F-E 009.jpg
2F-E 010.jpg
2F-E 011.jpg

there really isnt even much of a ridge at the top of the cylinders, and really all in all it looks very nice I think.

1.) head as i pulled it off
2.) same just dif view
3.) same as above

it prolly weighed in around 90 pounds fully assembled +/- so kinda heavy and awkward by yourself.
2F-E 012.jpg
2F-E 013.jpg
2F-E 014.jpg

1.) combustion chambers #1 and 2
2.) Combustion chambers #3 and 4
3.) combustion chambers #5 and 6

going by the way the chambers look and the plugs it looks like this motor was a pretty good running piece. no excessive build up, clean even burn patterns ect.
2F-E 015.jpg
2F-E 016.jpg
2F-E 017.jpg

1.) shot of all combustion chambers on bottom of 2F head.
2.) the little do hickey in there still works as it should and moves very free by finger.

everything i dont use will be up for sale whatever doesnt sell i will send to the scrap yard. when i get to that point i will link a thread of the items for sale to the first post in this page.
2F-E 018.jpg
2F-E 019.jpg

started to tear the head off of the 3FE this morning. and here is what i found....

1.) looks ok other than being a little shiny...

2.) sludge on the rocker arm i ran a screwdriver over it so you could see how deep it was

3.) more sludge in the head. the black mark on the screw driver shows how deep it is
2F-E 3fe 010.jpg
2F-E 3fe 001.jpg
2F-E 3fe 002.jpg

1.) more sludge. again the black mark shows the depth.
2.) comparison shot of how deep sludge is in last photo.
3.) sludge height just from where valve cover sat.
2F-E 3fe 003.jpg
2F-E 3fe 004.jpg
2F-E 3fe 005.jpg

1.) so thick on everything even the threads for the rocker arms / valve adjustment is covered.

2.) sludge

3.) another shot of how thick it is on the rocker arms and rocker arm shaft hold downs.

this is by far one of the worst sludge filled engines i have seen in my days, and i have torn apart many many cars and this tops them all by a mile.
2F-E 3fe 006.jpg
2F-E 3fe 007.jpg
2F-E 3fe 008.jpg

1.) valve cover with sludge deep enough to easily write my initials.
2.) i think its self explanatory but just in case it reads "IH8SLUDGE"

this motor came out of Mark M.'s (MMW68 here on mud) wifes 88 FJ62 which started knocking very shortly after he bought it for "her" (less than a week i believe).

It is obvious as to why the engine was knocking, Obviously was driven long periods between oil changes, probably cheap oil, and probably driven low on oil a couple of times.
All this contributed to the demise of this engine (which was supposedly rebuilt not to long before Mark purchased it i believe but may be wrong) everything sludged up and could no longer properly lubricate the engine well enough to protect the bearings.
2F-E 3fe 012.jpg
2F-E 3fe 013.jpg

ok got the head off of the 3FE so here are a few pics of that.
I didnt take any of the 3FE block as i wont be using it but i can get some for any one who is interested "just to see" what it looks like.

1.) Pulled off the upper intake plenum so i could get to the head bolts

2.) upper intake plenum again

3.) got the head unbolted and set to the side. again i left teh exhaust and lower intake connected like i did with the 2F head. this combo is much much lighter than the 2F combo...
2F-E 3fe 020.jpg
2F-E 3fe 018.jpg
2F-E 3fe 019.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom