2F Coolant Question (1 Viewer)

MyToy72

SILVER Star
I have a 1972 FJ-40 with a 1985 2F that has been rebuilt. New Radiator, water pump, thermostat etc.... I have just recently gotten the rig on the road and now after driving it a bit further than usual (15-20 miles), just breaking in the rebuilt engine and working out the bugs etc..... I get a small puddle of coolant under the overflow hose. I have no overflow bottle. Temp stays cool etc.... and the vehicle does not appear to be overheating at all. I have read some threads about head gaskets etc... but I just had my motor rebuilt so am not really suspecting that. Is this common? Temp outside has been mid to upper 80's when this occurs. As always, I appreciate the input.

AussieHJCruza

SILVER Star
If there is no overflow bottle, it is perfectly normal to have coolant underneath the overflow hose. I would recommend getting an overflow bottle, and in the meantime, ensure you keep the overflow topped up. I drove a HJ47 for a while with no overflow and I used to top it up on the first start of every day. Probably not necessary, but I used to like knowing it was nearly full.

GA Architect

SILVER Star
Toy - If I'm not mistaken, the reservoir/overflow bottle are also an expansion tank. That being, when the coolant expands, the excess coolant in the system goes into the expansion/overflow tank, and vise-versa. Get an coolant reservoir tank and you will probably be fine.

I would remove your radiator cap and look at it. If your cap has the little round disk in the enter that has a really weak spring on it, you have the type cap that is used on a return system. Make sure that your cap is only for pressure release and that should help. You could also keep what you have and add a reservoir to the system like shelfboy stated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom