2F Compression question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are a lot of posts on compression, but I have to ask another.

I picked up a 2f from a mud member. I decided to run a compression test with it on the stand, manifolds off and plugs out, just hooked a battery up and jumped the solenoid.

This motor turns easily by hand, so I was concerned. I ran a test and had 2 holes with no compression. Thought it was all over!!! Well, it had a couple stuck valves. Engine hasn't run in years

I got the valves loose with sea foam, and used sea foam to lube the cylinders. I let it set for a day and ran the test again.

1---130
2---120
3---120
4---130
5---120
6---135

So all the cylinders were wet. Should I do anything to this motor, or just clean it up and install it. What are your thoughts

Run it.

Run it. What's the worst that could happen. You'll get a few k and have to rebuild or you'll get another 50-100k its kinda a gamble. But those #'s don't lie.

If it were me and I was at that stage, I'd at least pull the pan off and maybe a couple of bearing caps and have a good look to see what I got.
If nothing else, clean it up on the inside ... meticulously.
Would have, could have, should have vs peace of mind.
You might get lucky??

I had similar numbers from mine when I first got it and it had been sitting for years. I ran it for 8 years with no issues. Then the head cracked in the #5 combustion chamber and washed down #5 with coolant to the point it had zero ring seal and smoked like crazy. Still ran good though. These engines are surprisingly expensive to rebuild properly. Unless you have deep pockets I would run it and see how it goes.

Aren't OEM compression values for when the engine is at operating temp?

Meaning those #s would improve @ operating temps?

If you run it, pls run the comp test again at operating temps to see what increase in compression #s occurs.

And post 'em up. :)

Warm up numbers

I am going to run it. I will post up the numbers when I get it running

120 would be great for my elevation. I'd run it for some time, adjust the valves, get it good and hot, and then retest it, both wet and dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom