2863's or 2864's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s too late. Like all big decisions, I bought 2863s, the shocks and torsions bars on impulse yesterday. I’ll just live with my mistakes but pretend it’s what I wanted if I don’t like it.
That’s the right attitude !

Cheers!

Well what shocks would you guys recommend with 2863 springs then? I can always return the shocks if there is a consensus about a smoother ride. I did a lot of reading through past threads and didn't see any specific consensus other than blistein sucks and remote reservoirs are expensive to rebuild and probably not what I'm looking for anyway.

It all comes down to budget. Old man emu is the most affordable, however the ride is very sporty/rigid compare to stock. Some people love it. Some people hate it. I had those and moved to Icon stage 3’s. They were good. Worth the money?? Probably not @ around $2300 for the set. We have Ironman pro foam on my wife’s GX and i like it a lot. Good bang for buck. I hear great stuff about tough dog shocks too

Second the Ironman FCP's. They work great in combination with the 864's I have. Like DJCloz said, good bang for the buck.

I’ll 3rd the Ironman FCP’s. They really shine when loaded down with gear and somehow ride great on my DD.

866's with 295 muds, rear w dual swingouts, rack, tent, Just Differentials 2.5" kit. At full load I bottom out the rear on serious trails. Unloaded it rides great.

20190129_195157.jpg

Tried 866 and 863 and now 864. Believe 864 is the best for heavy load.
As for the shocks, OME sport firms up the hall suspension...

For daily driving I only have White knuckles sliders, and 80/20 roof rack as far as weight impact to the rear. But when we go camping I have 6-700 lbs of gear, kid, and dog back there. Stock bumpers. Hidden winch but I already upgraded to Iron man TBs. should I go with the 863s? With stock springs I too easily bottom out the rear when loaded down on the trail.

For daily driving I only have White knuckles sliders, and 80/20 roof rack as far as weight impact to the rear. But when we go camping I have 6-700 lbs of gear, kid, and dog back there. Stock bumpers. Hidden winch but I already upgraded to Iron man TBs. should I go with the 863s? With stock springs I too easily bottom out the rear when loaded down on the trail.
So I believe that I have 863s on my truck with the OME 1.5" lift, WKOR sliders, stock everything else other than 285/75r16s and feel that for DD the OME shocks ride as stiff as my old FJ60 with a 1.5" leaf sprung suspension that included Add-A-Leaves all around. Between the suspension and the E-rated tires (Falken WildPeak AT3W) I feel every crack in the road. However, offroad the suspension does great with zero issue (actually went out last weekend). If you read through the forums you will find that most people believe that the OME shocks are the weak point and thus upgrade to something else.

For my truck, I eventually plan on a rear bumper with single swingout, possibly a hide-a-winch in the front and a rack (Gamiviti Expo++) with a Trail Tailor diff drop to match the suspension. So this will add a bit of weight to everything to help soften the ride but how much I really don't know.

FWIW I just swapped in 863s from 864s for the winter.
Currently run a rear BIOR + swingout, empty LRA 26gal tank and single near empty drawer. I was having lots of bouncing while around town and it gets really bad on concrete highways.
Loaded up in the summer with RTT, awning, all the gas and full drawer + fridge the 864s are fine. Just can't handle them now.
I did add 30mm spacers to the 863s and sit nearly 24" hub to fender in the rear. I will load the drawer back with tools and put the roof rack back on after I do some rust remediation. I hope it settles to 23"

I just ordered the 863s, I have no plans to drop 3k on a rear bumper anytime soon so I think the 863's will be the right combo of not too harsh DDing but be able to handle my 6-700 lbs of camping cargo. I'll let you guys know if it was the wrong choice. Also ordered some 1.25" wheel spacers to make the stance better looking for good measure.

Last edited:
I just ordered the 863s, I have no plans to drop 3k on a rear bumper anytime soon so I think the 863's will be the right combo of not too harsh DDing but be able to handle my 6-700 lbs of camping cargo. I'll let you guys know if it was the wrong choice. Also ordered some 1.25" wheel spacers to make the stance better looking for good measure.
How are the 863s working for you? I have 865s and they way saggy when loaded up with kids/gear (great without). I don't have rear bumper yet but will be adding an ARB rear at some point.

How are the 863s working for you? I have 865s and they way saggy when loaded up with kids/gear (great without). I don't have rear bumper yet but will be adding an ARB rear at some point.

They have been absolutely perfect, loaded up they barely compress at all and unloaded they ride great. The lift ended up being right at 2.5" unloaded. I could see if adding a rear bumper and moving the spare further behind the springs someone might need stiffer though. I don't have any plans to do that, but even if I did, they are cheap enough to swap out I'd just buy a new set later.

They have been absolutely perfect, loaded up they barely compress at all and unloaded they ride great. The lift ended up being right at 2.5" unloaded. I could see if adding a rear bumper and moving the spare further behind the springs someone might need stiffer though. I don't have any plans to do that, but even if I did, they are cheap enough to swap out I'd just buy a new set later.
Thanks! Sounds like I need the 863s for now.

What shocks are you guys running with your 863's ? I had 863's and moved to 863J's recently with OME Nitro Sports, I went the soft valving option and am happy with the ride, tyres set at 35psi and has draws/fridge in the back.

View attachment 2683633

New OEM (not OME) shocks, they ride great. Tires are around 45 though.

@Hulsty that Psi seems low for your weighted setup. I could be wrong though.

@Hulsty that Psi seems low for your weighted setup. I could be wrong though.
I thought so to till I did the calcs, happy to be corrected. OE Tyres @32psi (max on tyre placard) carry 1090kg. I have Yokohama X-AT, according to their chart @35psi they carry 1245kg. Checked after 1hr on the highway, no pressure rise in the tyres, I was expecting to need 42psi, but doesnt seem so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom