2863's or 2864's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much different are the ARB 2863 coil springs from the 2864 coil springs? I'm concerned the 2864's might be overkill, but I don't know. What's the difference in ride, height, load, etc?

Here's what I'm hauling. It's a 2000 LC100. I have an OME 2.5" medium duty lift on it. I have a metal tech rear bumper with a tire swing out and spot for a hi-lift jack, roof rack that weighs about 75 lbs, 1/2" plywood drawer system loaded with gear, and a steel cargo seperator behind the second row seats. The rear of the vehicle is sitting slightly lower than the front. When I'm going camping or hunting, I have roughly another 100lbs of weight in the back, and the back is noticeably lower than the front.

I appreciate any advice anyone out there in IH8MUD world can offer.

About halfway down the page is a PDF with the OME spring rates.

Slee Off-Road - Springs Detail Page

After trying 860s, 863s, 863Js, 864s, and 868s I finally ended up with 868s in both my 80 and 100.

Great on the road and they really keep the rigs composed when off camber, although my rigs are pretty heavy (Slee swingouts, sliders, drawers, etc..).

I wouldn't go lighter than 864s on your rig. Give them a try and if they're too soft you can sell them in the classifieds pretty fast.

Last edited:
get 864's, I had slee heavies and 1' spacers. The 864's replaced that and gave me a more solid feel.

I'm on 863's now and I need to upgrade... was debating between 863J and 864. I have as much weight in the back as the OP and will soon be towing a small offroad trailer. Based on what you guys said I'm going to try 864's.

How much different are the ARB 2863 coil springs from the 2864 coil springs? I'm concerned the 2864's might be overkill, but I don't know. What's the difference in ride, height, load, etc?

Here's what I'm hauling. It's a 2000 LC100. I have an OME 2.5" medium duty lift on it. I have a metal tech rear bumper with a tire swing out and spot for a hi-lift jack, roof rack that weighs about 75 lbs, 1/2" plywood drawer system loaded with gear, and a steel cargo seperator behind the second row seats. The rear of the vehicle is sitting slightly lower than the front. When I'm going camping or hunting, I have roughly another 100lbs of weight in the back, and the back is noticeably lower than the front.

I appreciate any advice anyone out there in IH8MUD world can offer.
Not sure your rear bumper is by metal tech - could we see a pic of it?

The spring rate of 863 is 250pounds/inch and the 864 is 320. Stock is 170. I have a similar 100 with a slee bumper, two spares, etc, and the 864 are brutal when not loaded to the gills. the 863 is the stiffest spring you want.

I am set up like you, sliders, rack, rear tire carrier bumper and drawers on the way. I have really enjoyed the 864's I would say I get an honest 3" of lift over stock while my fronts (OME 2.5 Medium) gives an honest 2.5" of lift. I have found the 100 really drives nicer with a little forward rake... 1/2" is about perfect. The 864's still flex great and firm up the sway on road when loaded for bear. They will sit a bit high until you hit that 400lb+ mark above stock, but they level the truck nicely and I haven't been able to compress them with gear to the point of sagging in the rear.

My experience suggests 864s.

Our 100 has rear bumper spare tire drawer system fridge and recovery gear and 864s are firm but not terrible.

Add fridge contents a hundred pound husky and 350# tongue weight of an odd roAd trailer and the 864s are almost not enough!

Interesting thread as I am going through coil spring trial and error right now. My truck is built very similar to DJCloz and REZARF (F/R bumpers, winch, spare, drawers, tools, fridge, full skids, on 35's etc. HEAVY). Running 2866 progressives the truck is sitting 1/2" low in the rear so last weekend I tried a set of 2864's thinking they would be the ticket. I gained 2 3/4 inches in the rear and lost 1/4" in the front over my 2866's (way to much rake). Not liking the stance, additional rear height or the sway I picked up a set of 2863's. Ill try these this weekend and report back. Sure hope these work as the next option is the 2863J's and I think they will be to tall as well.

@Premier maybe you should bring the front ent up a little? I personally probably do have my front end higher than most guys.

Did you get the 64's on the truck yet? I'm currently on 2860 but looking to buy the 2863's and I'm in So cal.

I can get them anytime... just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'll PM you once I have the 863's off the truck.

Slee heavies to 2864 (installed yesterday). Similar to @Premier I ended up with too much rake (21 inches in front, 23 and 23.5 rear). Set up is Slee rear bumper with dual swing outs, wooden drawers made with 3/4” birch/bed coating and fridge, and Front Runner roof rack. The ride is good and honestly not near as stiff as I initially expected. Plan to lift the front a little more to try and reduce rake, but even with diff drop I was hoping to not go more than 0.5 to 0.75 inches more. From what I’ve read, I should expect somewhere near 0.5 inch of settling with the 864’s over time. Can anyone with 864’s confirm this, or post their experience with how much additional front end lift beyond center hub to fender measurements of 21 inches works to accommodate the increased rake with 864’s?

225DA70A-007C-4109-B607-392663D3F445.jpeg

Slee heavies to 2864 (installed yesterday). Similar to @Premier I ended up with too much rake (21 inches in front, 23 and 23.5 rear). Set up is Slee rear bumper with dual swing outs, wooden drawers made with 3/4” birch/bed coating and fridge, and Front Runner roof rack. The ride is good and honestly not near as stiff as I initially expected. Plan to lift the front a little more to try and reduce rake, but even with diff drop I was hoping to not go more than 0.5 to 0.75 inches more. From what I’ve read, I should expect somewhere near 0.5 inch of settling with the 864’s over time. Can anyone with 864’s confirm this, or post their experience with how much additional front end lift beyond center hub to fender measurements of 21 inches works to accommodate the increased rake with 864’s?

View attachment 1714343

Fwiw Your 2864s may settle down a bit after some time- I think 23”ish is a good starting point- on fresh springs that will prob settle in 1/2” or slightly more after theyve been worked on some trails. Also when you load for a trip it will sag a bit more. 21.5” up front seems like a happy place for my driveline with the dif drop. I think you’ll be ok there

Btw- You coming to HIH?

@abuck99 Thanks. I hooked up the trailer today just to take for a trial run and I really like how it rides with 864’s. Need to get the front dialed in and think I’ll be good to go. Thanks for the measurements on the front.

All registered for HiH and barring anything unexpected should be there with the Southern Cruisers (@ntsaint @bamabrock). Y’all going to make it this year?

Love my 864s and I have bumpers and rack and most of the toys. Make sure you keep a little rake in the front. When I evened it out the truck did not drive right. Seems like the 864s are the ticket for lots of weight and big lift.

I was debating the same thing, I went with Icon 80 series stage 1 progressive springs (440-880 lbs).
Rides like a dream

23" hub to fender

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom