24 Gallon (90 Liter) Auxiliary Fuel Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sincity, my tank has their standard single-wall bottom. But I believe Amando and others have special ordered theirs with a double-wall bottom for like $50 extra.

Long Range Automotive only lists a 150 or 160L for the 100...how did you find the 90L?

The 90L is brand new and not listed on their website yet. Actually I think its supposed to be 91 Liter, not 90, my mistake. Steve af MAF said I was the first in the US to get one. I got the tip-off of its availability from an 80 thread.

Last edited:
Yes, after looking at 80 series photo of 24 gallons tank, the profile would looks just right for 100 series, too.

I think I would a armor plate on gas tank in the rear is highly recommended.

Based on what I observed at Rubicon, anything underneath behind the rear axle faced a different kinds of stress than between the axles.

At rear, it is more of a body slammed rather than intense rubbing as it does between the axles. That's why there was a temp loose connection between tank and gas filler after some body slammed.

Regards

It wasn't a loose connection as Snook mentioned, it was the 2nd fuel pump (transfers the gas from 2nd tank to the main tank - any low volume fuel pump can be used) came apart and that is where the gas leak was coming from. I had a spare with me but I was too lazy to replace it on the trail.

hoser said:
Sincity, my tank has their standard single-wall bottom. But I believe Amando and others have special ordered theirs with a double-wall bottom for like $50 extra.

Right on... I am such a dent-prone wheeler, I would need the doublewall :eek:

Snook, Thanks for the input too, I remember hearing mention about how tough Armandos tank (not his 100, the GAS tank ;) ) was and how it took some pretty serious abuse.

I have been tossing the idea back and forth between either adding a spare tank underneath or carrying extra fuel on the roof rack..
I like the spare tank idea more... :D

I am now serouisly adding 24 gallons tank because my last expedition trip at Death Valley, my portable gas tank leaked thru the cap little by little, creating a small puddle and dissolved the Por 15 coating inside my trailer, a very messy and smelly on other containers. :mad:

Regards,

SINCITY100 said:
Right on... I am such a dent-prone wheeler, I would need the doublewall :eek:

Snook, Thanks for the input too, I remember hearing mention about how tough Armandos tank (not his 100, the GAS tank ;) ) was and how it took some pretty serious abuse.

I have been tossing the idea back and forth between either adding a spare tank underneath or carrying extra fuel on the roof rack..
I like the spare tank idea more... :D

If it's possible to do a spare tank under the vehicle, that is always the preferred method IMHO. Safer all around, no messing with fuel cans, no extra weight up on the roof, etc.

dclee said:
If it's possible to do a spare tank under the vehicle, that is always the preferred method IMHO. Safer all around, no messing with fuel cans, no extra weight up on the roof, etc.

You are right Dclee, there are plenty of downsides to carying fuel on the roof, higher center of gravity..spills..catching a can on a tree branch and later realizing your roof rack and jerry cans are no longer on top of your vehicle.. etc.. :frown:

I just added up the cost of 4 new Wedco cans, plus two (dual) can carriers.. and its only half the cost of that fancy spare tank, I think the better value is the aux tank.

Plus.. That gives me more room on-top for a nice tent :cheers:

Now I REALLY gotta get one of those :D

Saleh, do you have the AHC suspension? I estimate this aux tank (full with fuel) at ~200lbs (91Kg). I forget what the Slee bumper weighs but probably somewhere around 175lbs.

The AHC suspension still has adequate damping (sport setting) with a lot of weight. It's the load carrying capacity that is the problem. My AHC suspension has reverted to LO mode on several ocassions, when loaded and before I even added the aux tank. So, I'll definitely need to install uprated springs in the rear. I'll post up about that when I finish.

UPDATE:

I finished the install without any major snags. The kit gives you everything you need except for the tools. The instructions aren't the greatest as it doesn't tell you exactly which fasteners nor brass connectors to use in which place. Though it isn't difficult to figure it out either. The hardest part is lining up all the hoses with the fuel filler neck. The scariest part is cutting the existing filler neck.

As mentioned above, the fuel neck doesn't work like the OEM subtank--there's no mechanical diverter valve. With the LRA fuel neck, you insert the nozzle kinda angled to the left to fill the main tank. To fill the aux tank, you pull out the nozzle slightly and back in kinda angled to the right. I had no difficulty filling either tank.

The only possible problem I see is there is no fuel filler restrictor in the neck--the kind that prevents somebody from accidentally filling the tank with leaded fuel (I think diesel too). Leaded pumps have a larger nozzle diameter than the gasoline pumps. This is a smog requirement in many states though most probably don't check. One could fit an aftermarket restrictor but then it might not be possible to insert the nozzle at an angle.
IMG_5341.jpg
IMG_5344.jpg

Last edited:
I mounted the aux fuel gauge/filler button on the center console. I initially wanted to put it in the instrument cluster opposite side of the dimmer switch but after seeing the brightness of the LED's, I didn't want to have it glaring into my eyes at night. I opted to put it in the center console, far enough away from the AHC controls so that I didn't accidentally turn the pump on. While I had the console open, I decided to mount my fridge/freezer temperature gauge.

Overall, I'm happy with the product. :cheers:
IMG_5342.jpg
IMG_5347fixed.jpg

Nice setup!
I would suggest you always fill the tanks yourself, since a gas station operator would probably fill only one at best.
And I like that temp indicator too :)

hoser said:
As mentioned above, the fuel neck doesn't work like the OEM subtank
AFAIK (I could be wrong) the subtank setup on the V8 is the same as the diesel, just 2 necks below one filler hole.
hoser said:
The only possible problem I see is there is no fuel filler restrictor in the neck--the kind that prevents somebody from accidentally filling the tank with diesel......One could fit an aftermarket restrictor but then it might not be possible to insert the nozzle at an angle.
I imagine the setup is designed for the diesel primarily so the resitrictor is not there, but it would be a worthwhile addition if it could be fitted, especially if you loan your vehicle.

Hoser,

Just a side note, some smog testing stations might notice your new gas filler neck and that it doesn't have the spring loaded little metal that closes the hole in the filler area. ~ does that make sense~ I took my truck in for smog last year and during the visual inspection the guy failed me because he said that piece is missing. I went to another testing station and he didn't say anything about it. I passed the visual and the runing part (of course) also the same person that failed me frowned on the s/c even though I had the CARB sticker. I guess some are pickier than others.

Nice setup up though!

Amando

Hoser, I just fitted the 13/15 gallon oem subtank to my truck. However the standard Toyota sending unit that came with the tank is different from the 80 series in that it does not have a signal to show the tank empty. In the past we used that to turn off the pump when the 2nd tank is empty.

Does yours do that? What sending unit does it use. Or is it part of that fancy switch/guage?

100 TD said:
AFAIK (I could be wrong) the subtank setup on the V8 is the same as the diesel, just 2 necks below one filler hole.
Yes, I was thinking it was the same tank for both gas and diesel. 99% of the passenger vehicles out here are gas so chances are, everyone will put in gas rather than diesel.

i4c4lo said:
Just a side note, some smog testing stations might notice your new gas filler neck and that it doesn't have the spring loaded little metal that closes the hole in the filler area.

It's a good thing I just had my 100 smogged. So I'm set for another 2 years! I had to go to a test-only station. Did you? I was thinking I could just buy an approved aftermarket fuel restrictor. I found this one in the UK. Does anyone know if it needs the flapper or is it just the hole size requirement?

sleeoffroad said:
Hoser, I just fitted the 13/15 gallon oem subtank to my truck. However the standard Toyota sending unit that came with the tank is different from the 80 series in that it does not have a signal to show the tank empty. In the past we used that to turn off the pump when the 2nd tank is empty.

Does yours do that? What sending unit does it use. Or is it part of that fancy switch/guage?
I took the sender out and briefly looked at it. It is a standard 0-90 Ohm sender and does not have the extra low fuel sensor. When the fuel gauge detects low fuel, a red LED lights up. When it detects really low fuel (less than 5 Ohms), the red LED flashes--or at least that is what the instructions say. I have yet to run it that low.

Last edited:
I got a restrictor from the local Kragen. Has a spiked perimeter so it can be inset into the filler neck and it will stay put, without resorting to welding (though it could probably be spot welded too, just make sure there is no fuel in the truck before welding...). It has the spring-loaded little door and proper sized opening for the unleaded gas nozzle.

I too spoke to some smog stations, and they said that even though most don't check, it is still a requirement on the books, so technically someone could get you for it (like what happened to i4c4lo).

hoser said:
I mounted the aux fuel gauge/filler button on the center console. I initially wanted to put it in the instrument cluster opposite side of the dimmer switch but after seeing the brightness of the LED's, I didn't want to have it glaring into my eyes at night. I opted to put it in the center console, far enough away from the AHC controls so that I didn't accidentally turn the pump on. While I had the console open, I decided to mount my fridge/freezer temperature gauge.

Overall, I'm happy with the product. :cheers:

Nice work hoser! I want to know more about the temp gauge! That would be a nice addition to my rig...even better if you were to come to Reno to help install it...heh...heh...heh :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom