24 Gallon (90 Liter) Auxiliary Fuel Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hoser

SILVER Star
Threads
Thought I'd post some pictures of my new 24 gallon Auxiliary fuel tank from Long Range Automotive (not to be confused with Long Ranger). I've always wanted to get an aux tank but the LRA 42 gal was too large and the OEM 13 gallon was too small. I heard about this new size so I jumped on it. I purchased it through MAF. Steve was great help.

I won't have time to complete the install this week but I was anxious to see it mounted. So, I mounted it myself with the help of just a floorjack. I gotta say I'm very happy with the quality and the clearance of the tank. It fits snug and looks well built. Initially I thought about using a rectangle fuel cell to save some money but this LRA kit is well thought out and takes adavantage of all the available space.

The filler tube is different than the OEM one with single neck and then the diverter valve and knob. There is another OEM type of neck that looks like this one but has the leaded fuel restrictors on it. I think I prefer the aforementioned one.

Anyway, here are the pics. I'll need a couple of weeks before I can post a full review. I plan on upgrading the rear suspension to accomodate the extra weight. With almost 50 gallons of fuel, I should have a range of about 650 miles (given 13mpg).
IMG_5324.jpg
IMG_5325.jpg
IMG_5327.jpg

Last edited:
Combination fuel gauge and tank filler button.
IMG_5330.jpg
IMG_5333.jpg
IMG_5335.jpg

The tank hangs about 2.5" lower than the frame rail. That's it!
IMG_5336.jpg
IMG_5337.jpg
IMG_5338.jpg

Last edited:
Final pic. You can't even see the tank from the rear! :grinpimp:
rear.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. I had no idea that particular tank was on the market for the 100's. Can't wait to hear the full review!

edit for grammar

Last edited:
Looks nice hoser. Are you adding another fill location or tieing into the existing filler neck??

You're gonna have to call the credit company on the way to the gas station.:crybaby:

LEXUSBEN said:
Looks nice hoser. Are you adding another fill location or tieing into the existing filler neck??

You're gonna have to call the credit company on the way to the gas station.:crybaby:
I'm tying into the existing fill location. I have to carefully cut into the existing filler tube and install the wye (pictured in the first post).

No kidding about the credit card company. I remember awhile back my AMEX only allowed $50 per gas station. Something about using a credit w/o signature authorization?

Nice tank, your ready to go cross country! Have you estimated how far you'll go with just one fill up?

VERY nice and up high 'n' tight! If I didn't have to have my spare underneath (wifely requirement for now), this is the tank I'd go for.

Reread it, 650 miles. Lets go to Mexico!

Silverscout said:
Nice tank, your ready to go cross country! Have you estimated how far you'll go with just one fill up?
At 50 gallon capacity:

12mpg = 600 Mile Range
13mpg = 650
14mpg = 700
15mpg = 750

Usually there's 4 gallons left in the tank when I fill up. So 46 gallons x $3.35 (premium)= $154 per fillup! I'll be shopping around for gas prices even more carefully now.

Yes, count me in for Mexico!

Silverscout, I think Steve might have one left for the 80 series ;)

I was told to allow about 6 hours to install the entire set-up. I'll have to get back to you on the level of difficultyl when I'm done. The instructions that came with it are partially for the 160L version and the other half of it is handwritten. I won't say it is clear nor concise but I am fairly confident I can figure it out.

Hoser,

Let me know if you need any help. I have done this 3x. I am also in the Peninsula so getting to you is not a problem.

Amando

Thanks for the offer, Amando. I'll contact you if I run into any problems. :cheers:

Sweet Hoser !! :cheers:

One problem though...

Why do you guys have to show me stuff like that ? I am BROKE enough as it is... :frown:

BUT...

I GOTTA HAVE ONE OF THOSE !! :D

How strong is the tank as far as impacts go ? It looks quite hefty, so I imagine it would take some abuse :confused:

Sincity100,

I was riding with Amando and his truck when he went thru Rubicon last summer. His secondary tank, a bit lower than Hoser's becuase his is 42 gallons and it comes out unscathed except for loose connection between tank and gas filler.

Oddly, his second gas tank is much stronger than the stock gas tank even with it's protection plate!

Cheers,

Nice Hoser! I think the next best thing to having one of these is going on runs with you with a siphon hose :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom