22RE - timing chain rubbing guide bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4wdlexus.com
Picked up this 94 Pickup with 22RE recently and don't have experience with the 22RE. It's made a noise since purchase that I thought were bad idler bearings, nope - wouldn't describe it as a rattle or knock, just marble / slight grating sound. Pulled the cover to find the timing chain has been rubbing the bolt heads for the guides.

- 172k miles. timing chain supposedly done at 140k miles
- truck generally runs fine.
- noise isn't there at cold start. thicker oil for the tensioner?
- drivers side guide is loose, but intact
- what would be causing the noise if the guides is present and intact? bolt heads don't seem worn enough to be the primary source of the noise. I assume the tensioner is weak allowing the chain to rub both guides, bolt heads, etc and that could explain the noise?

Anyone with experience on something like this? I suppose I'll be doing the full job this weekend if I can source parts quick enough. Picture of bolt heads with wear attached

IMG_1104.jpg

Im thinking the only way(s) that would even be possible is a collapsed tensioner and lots fo compression braking.
Overdecked head/block. Wrong chain.

Can you actually push the chain over to the bolt?

Thanks. At TDC the chain was crazy loose on the driver side. Once I manually cranked it another revolution, the drivers side snugged up. Not sure if I rotated something backwards to cause all the looseness, but it was very loose until I turned the crank. Doubt there is any way to test the tensioner without pulling the timing cover? Oil pressure is good according the dash gauge. Don't know anything about the prior timing chain replacement, unfortunately.

Not seeing any way around a full timing cover pull to replace the tensioner. I guess I'll replace the chain and guides as well.. ugh. drop front diff and oil pan seems like the winning vote, correct?

Do a full timing chain replacement with the kit. I looks like the PO didn't tension the chain to snug up the driver's side before tightening every up or the tensioner failed or even got loose. Good luck!

Done.

All day. All.

-Napa for OSK, Japanese timing kit
-Oreilly for the metal backed drivers side guide
-Toyota for red coolant and FIPG
-Amazon for Aisin water pump and oil pump (didn’t use them)

Buttoned it back up w new plugs, PCV, oil and filter. She’s purring now. So nice! Let it warm up and set timing and idle. Will actually drive it tomorrow. So much better!

The old tensioner was a bit “sticky” in that it wasn’t super smooth to push in and pull out. Maybe that was it, or the chain - nothing was 100% obvious at fault.

-Amazon for Aisin water pump and oil pump (didn’t use them)
There has been some noise lately about counterfeit Denso and Toyota parts getting sold out there. I would not be surprised if Aisin could be added to the list, though they have not been specifically mentioned. The biggest offenders are sellers on Ebay, and Amazon. I would only trust a known parts store, or a Toyota dealer. I've been getting Denso and Aisin from @RockAuto, and haven't noticed anything goofy. They are a MUD supporting vendor.

Last edited:
Awesome, congrats!
Low range off road sells a complete kit, chain , tensioner, new metal guide.
I replaced my timing cover as well because you may have wore into cover with chain, can cause coolant to leak into oil system??
A couple methods to change out on YouTube.
Good to see you got it done

I got the Aisin oil and water pumps from Rock Auto. The OSK kit came from 22RE Performance.

Im thinking the only way(s) that would even be possible is a collapsed tensioner and lots fo compression braking.
Overdecked head/block. Wrong chain.

I’d agree. On that. i just went through the process with only an occasional rattle when warm. Ended up the chain was stretched over one link longer than the new one. My tensioner was toast too. No bolt rubbing but I’m sure thats a “personality” issue with the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom