Events/Trails 2023 Pig Party!!!! (3 Viewers)

Weekend Choice and Venue

• 6/23 - 6/25

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • 6/30 - 7/2

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Cedar City Dixie National Park

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • something different

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Southern California? If anyone else watches Trail Recon on YouTube he has a video of 10 easy trails that might be good for a PP. maybe pick a few of the higher elevation mountain ones and stay away from the desert ones?

Looks beautiful. I'd be up for that.

I have been on about half of those and mostly because of work. Only a few are tolerable in June.

A short commute to a pig party is nice, but i think it would discourage some east coasters from coming.

Southern California? If anyone else watches Trail Recon on YouTube he has a video of 10 easy trails that might be good for a PP. maybe pick a few of the higher elevation mountain ones and stay away from the desert ones?

The trail from Joshua tree to big bear is quite fun. Honestly though I’d vote for mammoth area in summer. Plenty of backcountry trails and Sierra fun. Otherwise, northern NM or Idaho sounds fun.

I had been meaning to revive this thread. We really need to get dates set and figure out a venue.

I vote June 23-25
Venue somewhere between latitude 32-49 and longitude 102-109

Surveyors: can't live with em, can't put up a new fence without em.

I remember in 2019 we were going to go in the Utah mountains, but we had so much snow. I am curious how this year is going. It has been unseasonably cold and snowy in San Diego and I wonder if that is the case for places that are supposed to get snow. My point is, do we need to make sure we pick a spot that isn't going to still have snow in June?

Wyoming strikes me as a little different - I think a lot of the land is private vs. Federal.
you need to check out more about the state to the north of you ;)

about 48% is federal/public. maybe not overly interesting and a lot of the public land is checkerboard and difficult or impossible to get to without being a local land owner, but there is tons of historic routes you can run. best areas for that are rawlins west.

Unfortunately we wont have the pig finished by June, but will be out west(CO-NM-AZ-UT) in our 100 June15-July4. I'd love to link up

Surveyors: can't live with em, can't put up a new fence without em.

I remember in 2019 we were going to go in the Utah mountains, but we had so much snow. I am curious how this year is going. It has been unseasonably cold and snowy in San Diego and I wonder if that is the case for places that are supposed to get snow. My point is, do we need to make sure we pick a spot that isn't going to still have snow in June?
Just like California, heaviest snow/weather year in recent memory in most of the high country across the West, Certainly true in Colorado and Utah. Even in a normal year most of the high passes in Colorado can be iffy in June.

you need to check out more about the state to the north of you ;)

about 48% is federal/public. maybe not overly interesting and a lot of the public land is checkerboard and difficult or impossible to get to without being a local land owner, but there is tons of historic routes you can run. best areas for that are rawlins west.
Ige @nuclearlemon...Mormon Trail? Perhaps one of the Outlaw Run routes? Haven't done them, just heard about 'em.

Ige @nuclearlemon...Mormon Trail? Perhaps one of the Outlaw Run routes? Haven't done them, just heard about 'em.
outlaw run this year is back in wyoming in sept.

i did a lot of the mormon / oregon/california/immigrant trail years ago, before oil and gas tore up the red desert

So, am I wrong thinking because of the high snow fall this year we should talk about lower elevations (flat) :) areas to ensure no problems. I can't suggest any areas, but realize time is running out if we don't pick soon. If we go South because of the snow then we get into the higher temps. with it being the end of June. What are some good areas that are cooler in June, but not too high up to hit the snow?

Perfect, we could go to the Dittmer dinner for breakfast and hang out ( find out who got in trouble over the weekend ), then to the Big River do a little fishing. We don't want to fish too long because Savannah's in Cedar Hill has a great happy hour starting @ noon. :) We could do a night run along Skull Bones Creek as long as old man Bonacker doesn't catch us going through his bean field. We'd wrap the night up with a bonfire at Sunset Ridge (our farm) and a few cold beverages, but not too late because we have chores in the morning and besides the goats get mad if we make too much noise at night when they're trying to sleep (cranky in the morning) :)

Who's in? :beer:

All the Bud we could ask for, too.

I feel like the souther we go in states the better chance of gaining elevation without snow.
How about the areas around Flagstaff?
Dixie Nat Forest?

Rush ought to have some ideas for the Flag-Prescott area or over along the Rim in the Payson area. Maybe our NM folks have some ideas about southwest NM possibilities in the Gila NF between Silver City and Socorro. Or along the AZ/NM border in the same area.
I’m still hoping for northern NV and southern Oregon, Elko/Winnemuca to the Lakeside area. (About time for another big dinner at the Star Hotel.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom