2022 VDJ76 70th Anniversary Edition - GCC spec - Sandy The Camel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wanted a V8, not sold in CR 🤷🏻‍♂️

I guess win some, lose some....
The V6 with 230PS has more power than the V8, from factory.
You can change the calibration to 272hp (also original Toyota calibration!), which most of the V6 in Europe have to comply with current Euro 6 regulations. Then you'd have even more torque (440Nm instead of 430Nm on the V8).
It has no extra emissions crap like EGR, DPF and so on. Just naturally aspirated.
The engine has less than half the weight.
It is less complex to repair.
Gasoline is cheaper in CR.
I don't see the benefit from the V8 in your case.
The V6 sounds fantastic aswell.
To me the V6 is a clear winner – if the 1HZ is not part of the discussion. (If I could I would have bought a 1HZ without any Extras, but that is impossible in the developed countries)

Last edited:
The horse has left the barn so discussing the number of options for closing the gate, while interesting, really serves no purpose. The gentleman has an engine / Land Cruiser combination that most people would be willing to sacrifice a body part to own. 😊

If I had the opportunity and means I would absolutely go with the V8! Few engines sound as good as a 1VD in my opinion. Also, while gasoline may be cheaper to run in some places than diesel, effective range sometimes plays a part, too. In my case the current price difference between the two means it would cost me the same to run a gas-powered vehicle at 18mpg as my LandCruiser at 25mpg, but I wouldn't get close to my current 800+km range on the factory fuel tank.

With regards to EGR, if you install a catch can from new that should help a lot with the problem of the intake clogging up, but I would still recommend having a look inside (maybe with a borescope) at 100-150k km. I just helped both my brothers pull the intake manifolds on their early 2000's VW TDI's to clean them out; here is one of them at 215k miles:
IMG_4743.jpeg

IMG_4744.jpeg

If I had the opportunity and means I would absolutely go with the V8! Few engines sound as good as a 1VD in my opinion. Also, while gasoline may be cheaper to run in some places than diesel, effective range sometimes plays a part, too. In my case the current price difference between the two means it would cost me the same to run a gas-powered vehicle at 18mpg as my LandCruiser at 25mpg, but I wouldn't get close to my current 800+km range on the factory fuel tank.

With regards to EGR, if you install a catch can from new that should help a lot with the problem of the intake clogging up, but I would still recommend having a look inside (maybe with a borescope) at 100-150k km. I just helped both my brothers pull the intake manifolds on their early 2000's VW TDI's to clean them out; here is one of them at 215k miles:
View attachment 3211194

View attachment 3211195

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm learning a lot from all your comments... Solid source! 👍🏼

On the fuel end, I use a really good additive (Mecarun) which helps somehow with economy and the awful fuel quality

If I could get a new 76 series in the US, I would go with the 1HZ. Even over the 1VD. I also would want the interior and exterior to be as bare bones as possible.

The 1VD seems more and more like the Touareg V10 TDI. Wonderful engine but expensive and costly to maintain.

The only negatives of the 1VD-FTV that I’ve read about is it’s intolerance for bad fuel and the fact that one should avoid sustained high RPM’s. *
* Not sure what constitutes “sustained high RPM’s” in this case.

Thanks for your input.

Excuse my ignorance, what's the down side of leaving the EGR as intended by the manufacturer? 🤔

Hello,

No down side, actually.

EGR, or Exhaust Gases Recirculation, is a device that mixes some of the exhaust gases with the intake air, hence the name. Hot exhaust gas can balance the temperature of the intake air/fuel mix to prevent the formation of nitrogen oxides, which are both a pesky pollutant and a health hazard (as in lung disease/lung cancer) when released to the atmosphere.

Crankcase oil vapors are also routed to mix with the intake air, again to reduce emissions.

Over time, part of the soot from the exhaust gases and the oil from the crankcase can mix into a sludge and build up inside the engine.

Proper EGR functioning requires running the engine at high speed/high rpms periodically, once a month at the very least. The extra load on the engine ensures all the compounds in the intake system, both from the crankcase and the recirculated gases, are sucked into the cylinders and burned, thus eliminating deposit formation and buildup.

This is also the reason why some implementations of this system, like those in the 2L-TE and 1KZ engines, cause so many problems. It is not possible to run these engines at the conditions the EGR system requires to burn everything without risking catastrophic damage. The same thing goes for the DPF in some Toyota models, but that is another story. Even Toyota make mistakes when it comes to engine design.

Yes, EGR/intake deposits can cause problems. One option to prevent this is a catch can, to get rid of the crankcase oil and some of the exhaust soot.

There is an easier option as well: going for a highway run of, say, 80 or so kilometers at high speed once a month or more. Vapors, soot and almost everything else will burn with the air/fuel mixture in the cylinders. Needless to say, it is important to let the engine (and turbo) running to cool down after that.

I would leave the EGR (and any emissions control equipment) alone and I would install a secondary fuel filter. And I would enjoy the chance to go to the highway under the "engine needs a workout to keep the EGR working properly" excuse.

Juan

I would leave the EGR (and any emissions control equipment) alone and I would install a secondary fuel filter. And I would enjoy the chance to go to the highway under the "engine needs a workout to keep the EGR working properly" excuse.

Seems like a road trip 🤔 I can agree to that 🙌🏼😂

The V6 with 230PS has more power than the V8, from factory.
You can change the calibration to 272hp (also original Toyota calibration!), which most of the V6 in Europe have to comply with current Euro 6 regulations. Then you'd have even more torque (440Nm instead of 430Nm on the V8).
It has no extra emissions crap like EGR, DPF and so on. Just naturally aspirated.
The engine has less than half the weight.
It is less complex to repair.
Gasoline is cheaper in CR.
I don't see the benefit from the V8 in your case.
The V6 sounds fantastic aswell.
To me the V6 is a clear winner – if the 1HZ is not part of the discussion. (If I could I would have bought a 1HZ without any Extras, but that is impossible in the developed countries)

Hello,

The 70 Series 1VD engine is tuned to 202 HP, approximately the same power as early to mid-production 1FZ engines. A lower power output adds to long-term reliability, a key feature of the 70 Series.

Most Toyota engines have emission control systems nowadays. All have crankcase vapor ventilation. A very basic form of EGR has been in use in general markets' engines since the 1990s, as well as oxygen sensors and three-way catalytic converters.

Yes, certain markets have more emissions control equipment, including EGR.

I understand Toyota use DPF only in diesel engines.

Emissions control equipment is designed in much the same way Toyota designed everything else: components that can be disassembled, repaired and reassembled with basic tools and an exhaust analyzer. Ask me how I know. General markets' equipment is easier to repair, as it is less complex.

Yes, the V6 is a winner if your neck of the woods has air pollution issues. It is a winner if fuel price is not a concern as well.

Juan

@JuanJ …. “The 70 Series 1VD engine is tuned to 202 HP”.
—————————————————————————————
I‘m under the impression that the 1VD isn’t even breathing hard to produce those numbers and the upside potential is huge. Perhaps the Aussie guys can verify this potential.

@JuanJ …. “The 70 Series 1VD engine is tuned to 202 HP”.
—————————————————————————————
I‘m under the impression that the 1VD isn’t even breathing hard to produce those numbers and the upside potential is huge. Perhaps the Aussie guys can verify this potential.

As a rule a thumb Toyota always go with really conservative numbers or so I've read in several places... On one case regarding actual towing capacity on the Tundra.... 🤔

Wouldn't be a surprise if 1VD had more potential than what's shown on their books...

As a rule a thumb Toyota always go with really conservative numbers or so I've read in several places... On one case regarding actual towing capacity on the Tundra.... 🤔

Wouldn't be a surprise if 1VD had more potential than what's shown on their books...
Well my single turbo 1vd made 250hp and 560ft lb at the tires on 35s. Just a clutch and exhaust upgrade.

Seriously there are 1 million km 1vds kicking around aus these days, service it on time and look after it and honestly the 1hz isn't any more reliable. I get the feeling here on mud the 1vd is understood and underrated to a degree, which is hardly surprising given that the largest concentration of users here are from North America where the 1vd was never sold.

About the oil in the intake and egr stuff, it's not just toyota but all turbo diesel engines that have the same problems. Turbo oil seals always leak a hair of oil past them which goes into the intake, which is fine until you add soot from the exhaust to make the sludge.

If I could get a new 76 series in the US, I would go with the 1HZ. Even over the 1VD. I also would want the interior and exterior to be as bare bones as possible.

The 1VD seems more and more like the Touareg V10 TDI. Wonderful engine but expensive and costly to maintain.
The 1VD is a solid reliable engine that has been well proven over here.

As with every common rail engine with emissions regulations there are a couple of things you can do to help it, such as additional fuel filtration and a catch can.

I wouldn't compare it to any Volkswagen product.

The 1VD is a solid reliable engine that has been well proven over here.

As with every common rail engine with emissions regulations there are a couple of things you can do to help it, such as additional fuel filtration and a catch can.

I wouldn't compare it to any Volkswagen product.
Got those two!! 🙌🏼 imported for Australia... Got'em from PDP 👌🏼 yup... I'm proactive...or OCD 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom