2022 best battery for FJ40? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Speaking in general- I have a ‘78 fj40 with 2F and I’ve had good luck with my interstate battery. The new agm style (absorbed glass mat?) are supposed to be better for vehicles that might not be driven all the time and drained/recharged. Guys will probably also chime in about having a 2nd battery if you plan on using a winch. Odyssey is also a good brand. At least those two have been for my vehicles. Prost 🍻
I know...old thread, but: Where would you mount the deep cycle battery for the winch?

Why do you only mention brands and never capacity?? I have a 100ah battery since 2 years and I want to buy a spare one just in case (battery only last 2 or 3 years in UAE weather) and I wanted to know if 100ah was overkill (I think my fj cruiser has a 65ah). I googled all the batteries you mentioned and none of these has a capacity written on the stickers or mentioned on the specifications. More details if needed, I don't have a winch or heavy accessories, just a few led camping lights, nothing too draining, but I sometimes travel solo in very remote area with no phone reception and I also want to be on the safe side (I also have a ARB jumpstarter, but still...) Can you give me a suggestion based on Ah? Thank you very much

Last edited:
Got 21 years in my '40 from the OG Optima Red Top prior to their move to Mexico. Got 14 Years in my Taco out of the Die Hard Platinum (Odyssey). Just bought another Odyssey for the Taco. So Odyssey .

My 21 year old OG Optima Red Top in my 40 literally died yesterday so, yeah, no question they were the best batteries ever. I always worried about it getting kiped because there's no hood lock. I'm replacing it with a Walmart special.

Had an old Red Top in a pickup that was maybe only 15 years old that died last year. It got replaced with an Odyssey but that hood has a chain and padlock on it. Both Optimas were US made - Akron OH I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom