2021 LC200 HE Build Capable Comfort (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good looking truck. Just curious, if you didn't want the HE wheels and you did want side steps, why start with a HE in the first place?
I do like the HE wheels and the darkened accents (aside from the mirror caps).

The key feature was the lack of a third row (I have two kids and needed the extra space for gear when traveling). I did strongly consider a 2 row LX 570 but knew that I would immediately need new wheels and would eventually have to do a AHC delete and run a standard suspension.

I also don’t like the door guards on the regular LC.

I kept it stock (stock size KO2) for about a year. With the family in the truck and their gear I started encountering departure angle issues. I also didn’t like the weight and feel of the D load KO2 in stock size. Went up to the 33 inch wranglers load range c when they came out thinking it would fix the issue with height and ride but the road noise was horrible.

Thus my investigation into alternatives. The 17 inch wheel size has so much more tire options and I am now very happy I did it. Wanted to keep a stock look. The ride quality is now superb.

The key feature was the lack of a third row (I have two kids and needed the extra space for gear when traveling). I did strongly consider a 2 row LX 570 but knew that I would immediately need new wheels and would eventually have to do a AHC delete and run a standard suspension.

I kept it stock (stock size KO2) for about a year. With the family in the truck and their gear I started encountering departure angle issues. I also didn’t like the weight and feel of the D load KO2 in stock size. Went up to the 33 inch wranglers load range c when they came out thinking it would fix the issue with height and ride but the road noise was horrible.

Thus my investigation into alternatives. The 17 inch wheel size has so much more tire options and I am now very happy I did it. Wanted to keep a stock look. The ride quality is now superb.
Did you ever consider 265/70/18 size with the HE rims?

Did you ever consider 265/70/18 size with the HE rims?
I considered all R18 sizes. There are no light weight LT tires for R18 rims.

Here is the list of Load Ranges for that tire size. SL and XL are non LT load tires. The only LT load is E which are very heavy. Missing is a Load Range C option which is what I desired for the combination of comfort and capability.

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 12.17.58 PM.png

I considered all R18 sizes. There are no light weight LT tires for R18 rims.

Here is the list of Load Ranges for that tire size. SL and XL are non LT load tires. The only LT load is E which are very heavy. Missing is a Load Range C option which is what I desired for the combination of comfort and capability.

View attachment 3247564
Michelin Defender Load Range E 265/70/18. 49 lbs. Not bad. I am considering this size and tire.

Last edited:
Hey Clearmysix,

I am also looking for a SL or C load tire, and I thought i would try the Goodyear Territory MT as well, until i came across your thread...
How bad is the high pitched noise? Is it night and day difference compared to your C load KO2s?
I am also contemplating SL General Grabber APT or Grabber ATX..

Hey Clearmysix,

I am also looking for a SL or C load tire, and I thought i would try the Goodyear Territory MT as well, until i came across your thread...
How bad is the high pitched noise? Is it night and day difference compared to your C load KO2s?
I am also contemplating SL General Grabber APT or Grabber ATX..

The noise is pretty bad. I didn’t want to believe the reviews but expect your cabin to be full of the noise at 65+ mph. Additionally the GY wrangler MTs were definitely not as solid in build compared to the KO2. You can watch YouTube vids on the flimsy side wall for instance. Overall it’s more of a SL tire with a mud tire noise profile.

If you are wanting to stay 18 I would go for the SLs as you are thinking and take the hit in off road durability.

I think you could have gotten into 17s without downsizing the brakes. Yes, not all 17s provide enough clearance, but there are many including the well known Rock Warriors.

In regards to your preconceived notions of AHC - maybe a little ironic, but it may have fit your goals to a T. The notion that it would need to be ripped out, maybe for more aggressive use?, isn't exactly right. There's many of us using it across use cases, from mild to wild, showing its bandwidth and capability. Not to take away from your build, but mentioning in case others might have that assumption in the future.

The noise is pretty bad. I didn’t want to believe the reviews but expect your cabin to be full of the noise at 65+ mph. Additionally the GY wrangler MTs were definitely not as solid in build compared to the KO2. You can watch YouTube vids on the flimsy side wall for instance. Overall it’s more of a SL tire with a mud tire noise profile.

If you are wanting to stay 18 I would go for the SLs as you are thinking and take the hit in off road durability.
I see, thanks for the insight on the noise, i may pass on them..

I think you could have gotten into 17s without downsizing the brakes. Yes, not all 17s provide enough clearance, but there are many including the well known Rock Warriors.

In regards to your preconceived notions of AHC - maybe a little ironic, but it may have fit your goals to a T. The notion that it would need to be ripped out, maybe for more aggressive use?, isn't exactly right. There's many of us using it across use cases, from mild to wild, showing its bandwidth and capability. Not to take away from your build, but mentioning in case others might have that assumption in the future.
All good points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom