TLCA 2019 Rubithon Wagon Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MountNGoat

KK6WRY. Always Learning
GOLD Star
Threads
Wow, hard to believe another year has gone by, and it’s time to really start thinking about Rubithon 2019. I trust your 2018 was great and your plans for your trucks are coming together nicely. As always we are really looking forward to both the challenge of the trail and to spending time with good friends, old and new.

I'm not sure who coined the term "Pryor Clan", but it's kinda stuck. The Wagon Run has definitely been a family affair for us. My truck (Hi, I'm Steve) is an '87 FJ60 with my wife Andrea as either copilot or piloting her own ’97 FZJ80, my son Justin (@justintpryor ) drives his '97 FZJ80, whereas my other son Johnathan (@JohnnyOshow22 ) drives his '97 FZJ80, and it's not unusual for more family and friends to come along. Sadly, this year Johnathan will not be joining us as life/work/school dictates he sits this one out (but he’s promising to be there next year with a large contingent of Wagons from his local TLCA club 406 Cruisers out of Bozeman, MT!). So on behalf of all of us, we are looking forward to wheeling with you! Because the Wagon Run often sees a lot of new people, I will probably over communicate here, but you veterans please chime in when I miss the inevitable.

Let's tackle logistics. The Wagon Run will begin at 7 am Wednesday June 19th August 14th from the staging area at Loon Lake. If you've never been there before, it's at the end of Ice House Road, which heads north from Hwy 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. Just follow Ice House Road to the end, go around Loon Lake, cross the dam, and pull in line where you see all the wagons :). Because of the 7 am start time most people elect to camp in the vicinity of Loon Lake the night before. From 7-8 am we will be conducting safety checks, distributing packets, and after a drivers meeting we will hit the trail. We wagons aren't known for being the fastest rigs over trail, so it is crucial that we are rolling out by 8 am. Day 1 will see us into Buck Island lake. Day 2, Thursday, will see another early start for the same reason, and we will tackle the second part of the trail into Rubicon Springs. Friday and Saturday are complete R&R days at the springs. Swimming, hiking, swapping lies, keeping the chair from getting airborne - you name it. Sunday is departure day up Cadillac Hill. There can be some tough obstacles on Cadillac Hill but there is always a local crew stationed along the trail to help out, keep people in their trucks, and keep the whole procession moving. Technically the Wagon Run is over when we get into Rubicon Springs, but often there are a lot of us leaving at about 6:30 am Sunday morning if you want to join us.

Minimum Wagon Run vehicle requirements:

2.5" lift and 33's

Lockers front and rear

Front, rear, side and under belly armor (see post #35 here 2018 Rubithon Wagon Run for more info)

Winch

2m HAM communication capable*

Recovery Gear: Heavy Strap (no hooks on the ends), shackles, snatch block (The Rubithon signup page will also list mandatory safety and recovery gear). Make sure these items are handy, along with your fire extinguisher.

Note that if you are only sporting 33's and a 2.5" lift, expect to spend a lot of time testing your sliders and rear bumper, and stacking rocks. Ask me how I know ;).

Miscellaneous:

Pre-made lunches for Wednesday and Thursday are a great idea because we will not be stopping for a formal lunch break either day. Have some food ready to grab on the trail at the inevitable stops while we push through obstacles.

It is HIGHLY recommended that you have a copilot that can aid in spotting you or stacking rocks if needed. If you're coming with another rig and can help each other out that's great. While myself, Justin and Johnathan, and others will be there to assist, it's tough for us to be everywhere at once. Often all that's needed to keep moving is a strategically placed rock to lift your hung up diff up and over said hang up.

Get signed up soon!

REGISTRATION - Rubithon

We will limit the run to 20 trucks total, and it's first come, first served. If the interest is overwhelming we will consider how to handle the additional requests. When registering, only select the Wagon Run if you plan to begin the run with us from Loon Lake.

Is it possible to drive the trail clean and not even scratch your truck? Yep. Just like it's possible to win the lottery. If you can't look at your truck, envision the rear quarter panel caved in, and say, "I'm okay with that!", then that isn't the truck to bring to the trail. (Full disclosure: I caved in my rear Pside quarter panel my first time through, and last year added a nice crease in my Dside rear door).

Spare Parts: One of the reasons for going with a group of like vehicles is the higher probability of finding spare parts if needed (be sure to bring some yourself!). So if you're a 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, or 100 series, etc., be sure to bring whatever spare parts you think you might need.

Water: There's plenty of it on the trail but you will need to filter it or boil it to ensure it is potable. The air is dry, and it can be very, very hot, so whatever you decide make sure you have plenty of water.

Readiness: It goes without saying that your truck should be in top working order. Get your repairs done well ahead of time so that they can be tested. Rubicon is also not the place to bring a truck that you are unfamiliar with, haven't had much off road time with, and it's definitely not the place to learn to drive a manual transmission.

*Let's talk about communications. We will be using 2m Ham for our communications, most likely 146.400, and it is essential that everyone is set up for this. We will not have a CB channel. Ham requires a license to talk. This can seem a bit daunting, but honestly it's not that bad. There are a number of inexpensive online courses to help you study, and it doesn't require a huge time commitment. Also, your local club may host a study session and test, which is how Johnny just got his license. Handheld units manufactured by Baofeng are very cheap these days and will do the job - particularly with a $14 ancillary mag-mount roof antennae. I can't stress enough how important having this communication channel is. If you're planning to go and have ANY concerns about this, please PM me and we can discuss some more.

On a final note the emergency helicopter evac insurance has changed this year. Rather than repeat what's already been stated, make sure you look at the first couple of posts in the main Rubition 2019 thread (31st Annual Rubithon - 2019 Registration Now Open) to review this important information.

That's about it for now, but check back frequently for updates and additional information. If you've got questions that you don't want to throw up here, just PM me and give me a day or two to respond.

Thank you,

The Pryor Clan :bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce:
Steve, Andrea, Justin and Johnny

Last edited:
Had a great time on the 2018 run!!

Hello Pryor Clan . My name is Jeff and i look forward to a great trip with all the Wagons .

Awesome, Jeff, thanks for signing up! Looking forward to meeting you.

Note that there is a Facebook group for the run as well, and that it is just the 2018 page re-branded as 2019.

It is not meant to replace this thread as the official communication medium, but I realize for some it's easier to communicate that way. And post-2018 there was a lot of picture sharing going on via the Facebook group. Some really cool pics in there.

Also, there's a lot of great info and discussion on last year's Wagon Run MUD thread as well that might answer some of your questions or just provide amusement :clap::

2018 Rubithon Wagon Run

Looking forward to the run! I will have my kiddos with me, 11 year old girl and 5 year old boy. Hoping some other kids for them to play with?

Noah

Sounds great, Noah, thanks for signing up!

I've been asked about the frequencies and tones necessary to access the repeaters in and around the trail. While the HAM link on the TLCA registration page is not working, all the info can be found on the Rubicon Trail Foundation page here:

Ham – Rubicon Trail Foundation

Just to be clear, we will not be using repeaters to communicate, so having all this programmed into your radios is not required.

Looking forward to wheeling with the Wagon crew again this year! Thanks, Pryor clan, for all the work you put into this run!

To clarify, is registration for one car? Do passengers need to sign up?

I got myself a spot!

Looking forward to wheeling with the Wagon crew again this year! Thanks, Pryor clan, for all the work you put into this run!
Please tell me this means Stripper Pole Joe is coming with you!

To clarify, is registration for one car? Do passengers need to sign up?

I got myself a spot!
Hey @petwhookie, registration is per vehicle, meals are per person :rofl:! But, at least one driver in each vehicle needs to be a TLCA member ;).

Please tell me this means Stripper Pole Joe is coming with you![/QUOTE

Tom, I can neither confirm nor deny that SPJ will be there in person, for another appearance. I’d recommend, though, that you bring the heavy duty stripper pole this time!

It looks like @baldilocks has convinced me to go this year, just signed up, now have some "skin in the game" so I defiantly need to gear up.
Believe it or not my Lx is mostly stock when it comes to the drivetrain.
I read above that I need a winch is that a mandatory list above?

Let's tackle logistics. The Wagon Run will begin at 7 am Wednesday June 20th from the staging area at Loon Lake.
I'm sure this is a typo, but wanted to make sure that this date is correct because Wednesday is not the 20th on my calendar this year. So is this run starting Wed. the 19th or Thursday the 20th?

Last edited:
It looks like @baldilocks has convinced me to go this year, just signed up, now have some "skin in the game" so I defiantly need to gear up.

I'm sure this is a typo, but wanted to make sure that this date is correct because Wednesday is not the 20th on my calendar this year. So is this run starting Wed. the 19th or Thursday the 20th?

GW Nugget, welcome to the Wagon Run! I’m sure MountNGoat will reply soon but, yes, winch is required for the Wagon Run. The goal is to keep everyone making forward progress so we can get into camp and drink beer. If you get stuck and are holding up people behind you with no one to give an assist from ahead, everyone will appreciate your ability to self-extract and reward you with much beer in camp later that night. Remember, winch = beer.

Wednesday, June 19 is the start of the run!

Looking forward to meeting you! Good luck with your vehicle prep!

BTW, nice “stock” truck you got there!:rofl:

@GW Nugget , thanks for signing up, and thanks for catching the typo on the start date - fixed! As @slo60 said, the winch is mandatory. And while you may find it useful for self extraction, it has also been shown time and again that it’s also there for the person in front of you. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more.

Thanks all... I'll need to leverage the income tax return this year heavily, no shoes for the kids this year.:hmm: ha, ha.

I guess I will try again, I would really love to join the wagon run this year but it was a rough year when it comes to working on my
own wagon (FJ60) having other vehicles that needed more attention pretty much used up my funding for the 60. So I was wondering if anyone have room for another passenger so I can experienced this awesome trip this year and get some ideas on what I need to focus on my own project I'm willing to pitch in for gas and bring extra food and wrenching skills if needed I'm also a decent spotter if required I have an ARB fridge that I could also bring if needed. So let me know if someone here is interested and send me a PM or just post up here. Thanks in advance.:steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom