2019 LC200 alternates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been noticed super squishy and soft bouncy rides lately (stock Dunlop 33psi). This even gave me and my wife motion sickness. I have a stock 2019 LC200 with 30k miles.

We are researching solutions to improve the ride quality or replace the Cruiser.

The Cruiser is my wife’s daily driver. We also take it for some moderate off-road/Overlanding occasionally.

I read a lot of comments about Michelin Defender LTX 285/60 R18 and wondered if those tires would provide a firmer ride and not get us carsick…

We are also thinking about replacing the LC with a 2022 4Runner or GX460 or just waiting for the new Sequoia. LC200 and its bulletproof V8 are nice to have but a bit overwhelmed for us.

Thanks for any input.

Obviously do not know what you all are feeling and whether your specific vehicle has a suspension or KDSS issue. Seems unlikely with a 2019 LC200 and 30k miles, however worth having the dealer check under 3y/36k miles comprehensive warranty before just selling it for something else so it seems.

Having sad this, in your case I would for starters put 38 to 40 psi on the Dunlops and see how it feels.

Otherwise it appears to me (& worth considering) the LC200 does an outstanding job (& compromise) for a SUV or truck on frame design with say a medium length wheel base:
- providing comfort on secondary roads and highways
- able to absorb put holes, rail tracks, speed bumps, whatever you throw at it with ease & confidence
- outstanding strength and durability for prolonged offroading, including very rough unpaved & wash board roads (enabled by the body sitting on rubber blocks disconnecting the passengers from this punishment)
- wheel articulation & strength to support down to all weight on 2 wheels
- relative small turning radius compared to longer truck on frame designs

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have been noticed super squishy and soft bouncy rides lately (stock Dunlop 33psi). This even gave me and my wife motion sickness. I have a stock 2019 LC200 with 30k miles.

We are researching solutions to improve the ride quality or replace the Cruiser.

The Cruiser is my wife’s daily driver. We also take it for some moderate off-road/Overlanding occasionally.

I read a lot of comments about Michelin Defender LTX 285/60 R18 and wondered if those tires would provide a firmer ride and not get us carsick…

We are also thinking about replacing the LC with a 2022 4Runner or GX460 or just waiting for the new Sequoia. LC200 and its bulletproof V8 are nice to have but a bit overwhelmed for us.

Thanks for any input.
In my opinion, Toyota caters to the Mall Cruiser crowd in the US with the LC200 with softer shock absorbers. Nice ride for those that like it.
I changed out the OEM shocks with the Bilstein B6-4600 setup. Forms up the ride, lessens the nose diving when hard breaking and corners flatter.
1000% improvement over stock shock setup. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Getting car sick from a 200 series due to ride quality. Replace the 200 ASAP.

In my opinion, Toyota caters to the Mall Crusier crowd in the US with the LC200.
I changed out the OEM shocks with the Bilstein B6-4600 setup. Forms up the ride, lessens the nose diving when hard breaking and corners flatter.
1000% improvement over stock shock setup. Again, just my opinion.
Seems the Land Cruiser including the LC200 was designed for the global market and has been given a mix of characteristics suitable for comfort on paved and unpaved roads, while making sure it can reliable tackle the Australian outback, the African Sahara and the Middle East dunes. This means a compromise by default.

Making the ride firmer probably improves the experience for many of us on regular roads and getting to the mall...

Good news is that the LC200 can be easily modified or sold at this point.

You (OP) used the term "lately" in your post. That implies to me something has worn out or broken or changed in either the suspension or the tires. At the very least have the OEM shocks checked for leaks and the suspension checked for something loose or missing. 30K miles on the stock Dunlops is plenty. Along with the suspension checks I do recommend a set of the Michelin Defender LTX in 285/60-18 XL. Your use case would argue against the E rated version of that tire, because you're not regularly dealing with heavy loads. The new tires (all 5) and the suspension checks should be ballpark $1500 and I think it's worth spending that before selling the LC. I think you're the first person to report motion sickness in an LC, so something must be amiss.

I know what you mean and added the Dobinson IMS kit. It made it perfect, not too stiff, but definitely got rid of the nose dive and the "float" you are talking about. You can choose a very mild lift profile if that is what you want as well. I just posted a new thread about it as well with before and after pics.
Before - After
IMG_1804.JPG
IMG_2285.JPG

It's very rare to hear of someone saying that the 200/LC is "overwhelming" and they might trade it in on a 4Runner/GX or Sequoia, those vehicles are large steps backwards in almost every way. The only advantage I can see to that would be that you can have two 4Runners for the price of one LC. If you do decide to make that shift I'd wait for the next generation versions of all three of those models before making your move.

Swap the cruiser for the LX, put the suspension in Sport mode, pocket the cash you got back, enjoy.

I have a 2011 LX570 and my daughter has been getting carsick in it even it's just a short 10 minute drive. She gets all pale and on the verge of puking. This doesn't happen in my wife's Rav4 or my 1997 LX450.

It happens to me sometimes, too. Today, I got a bit car sick and it reminded me to search this topic.

This happens with the suspension settings in "Sport" and "Comfort" mode (the LX570 has AHC as opposed to KDSS).

Any solutions?

Last edited:
I have a 2011 LX570 and my daughter has been getting carsick in it even it's just a short 10 minute drive. She gets all pale and on the verge of puking. This doesn't happen in my wife's Rav4 or my 1997 LX450.

It happens to me sometimes, too. Today, I got a bit car sick and it reminded me to search this topic.

This happens with the suspension settings in "Sport" and "Comfort" mode (the LX570 has AHC as opposed to KDSS).

Any solutions?
What tires and pressure?

What tires and pressure?

Summer is BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 and Winter is studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta (LT285/70R17 121/118Q Load Range D); both mounted on Rock Warriors.

Front was 34 PSI and Rear was 31 PSI today at 37F ambient.

I looked at a bunch of tire pressure threads and found this pressure recommendation (it's for an LC200, but I figure it's in the ballpark for my LX570) and raised the pressure to 40 PSI all around: Tire Pressure recommendation - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tire-pressure-recommendation.997546/page-15#post-12036621

@grinchy, thank for for your reply. It made me re-think the basics. I'll see how it goes tomorrow. We have a forecast for negative temperatures this week, so it was a good time to add some air. If you have a suggestion for pressure, I'm all ears.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Update. After raising the pressure to 40PSI, the LX570 feels more like a truck and less like a boat. I just did a 1.5 hour drive with my daughter and there were zero complaints of carsickness. That added pressure really did the trick!

Last edited:
Summer is BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 and Winter is studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta (LT285/70R17 121/118Q Load Range D); both mounted on Rock Warriors.

Front was 34 PSI and Rear was 31 PSI today at 37F ambient.

I looked at a bunch of tire pressure threads and found this pressure recommendation (it's for an LC200, but I figure it's in the ballpark for my LX570) and raised the pressure to 40 PSI all around: Tire Pressure recommendation - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tire-pressure-recommendation.997546/page-15#post-12036621

@grinchy, thank for for your reply. It made me re-think the basics. I'll see how it goes tomorrow. We have a forecast for negative temperatures this week, so it was a good time to add some air. If you have a suggestion for pressure, I'm all ears.

Thanks again!

40 seems like book for 285/70r17 121 load for a tlc. 35 for an Lx. I always look to see what the psi is on freeway after an hour, and make sure that is about 10% or less more than the cold psi. It is a sanity check that the tires can handle the heat of driving. Air is the way they process heat, more air more ability to manage.

I think you’ll have a lot less porpoise at 40psi. I suspect you may settle around 37 psi.

40 seems like book for 285/70r17 121 load for a tlc. 35 for an Lx. I always look to see what the psi is on freeway after an hour, and make sure that is about 10% or less more than the cold psi. It is a sanity check that the tires can handle the heat of driving. Air is the way they process heat, more air more ability to manage.

I think you’ll have a lot less porpoise at 40psi. I suspect you may settle around 37 psi.
Agree I run my 285’s at 37/38 cold. Anything higher and it gets too “bouncy” around town mall crawling.

Swap the cruiser for the LX, put the suspension in Sport mode, pocket the cash you got back, enjoy.

This. You don’t sound like the type to want to “fix” things and modify heavily OP.

And agreed that the alternatives are downgrades but not the LX. I don’t think tires will remedy this to the extent you are describing your issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom