Builds 2018 Premium 460 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I appreciate your comment but apparently you didn’t read that putting it on the roof was a temporary situation until I find a rear bumper solution to permanently place the spare. I know and understand the effects of putting a 100 lbs wheel/tire assembly 6’ in the air. I’ve had three roof top tents sold them all due to the negative effects caused by heavy items 6’ off the ground.
I too have a RTT, LOVE IT! But wish I didn't have all that weight up there.
I'm looking at wanting to build and adventure trailer some time in the future when I get some space.
Then I'd put the RTT on the trailer! Problem solved!!

I had a couple hours before work today so I was able to mount my HAM radio mounting plate, base radio and connect wires.
Still need to route all the wiring and antenna.
This one of those little projects I can chip away at.
109876D7-D95E-4B74-83A7-74B86DF0D389.jpeg
1058FF4B-888D-45F9-8AF3-65E52768418A.jpeg
E6D2EAF6-4060-49A1-8641-C0CE16630CC3.jpeg
C3B69F7B-12F6-4EBC-8C6F-832CBF8A1DF8.jpeg
C7D259E1-BA30-4F92-8536-BB8E6D5C5697.jpeg

I feel its imperative to think of weight distribution and equipment placement. For the most part you want to keep weight between the front and rear axles and as low as possible. Keep heavy items below the window belt. Obliviously you can't be precise with out wheel scales at all 4 corners but you can be close.

For instance my recovery gear will be placed where the second row right side captains seat was in the storage hutch. Hand tools will be placed in the drawer that pulls out at the rear door but in the forward end of the drawer so when closed they'll be forward of the rear axle. Opposite of the fuel tank. The whole drawer/storage hutch/platform will be located on the right side of the vehicle. My two 5 gallon water jugs will be located in front of the rear axle in basically the foot well of the third row passengers on the left side.

I am still working out in my head to avoid installing two batteries side by side in the stock location. I really disliked that on my Taco and want to come up with a better solution. So very little room under the hood though.

On my roof rack the Pull Pal land anchor will be placed just above the front passengers seat and Max Trax opposite of the Pull Pal. Solar Panel will likely run down the center hoping not to block sun light through the sun roof. Unfortunately my spare will be on the roof rack until I can find a rear bumper solution.

I currently have some steel skid plates installed but am very unhappy with then and wanting on another brand to contact me about a solution.

Many moving parts to this chess game.

I appreciate you sharing your research and approach! I never thought about where to place certain items within a drawer and it makes a lot of sense. I’ve been working with Dave and his new Reef drawer system — will do a 3rd row delete then share my measurements with him as I install his universal wing kit + 2 drawers. I’ll definitely take your suggestions into consideration when loading them up!

I ended up going with an offset Wilco Hitchgate carrier for my spare tire and will use their Jerry can holders for my water jugs until I figure out how I want the rear to all work together when stopped for a meal or camping. I ended up drilling extra holes into the Wilco hitch so that it sits more flush against the rear door. It’s super sturdy now with front/back tension from the included wedge lock, left/right tension using two grade 8 bolts & lock nuts for the newly drilled holes, and vertical tension with a u-bolt & steel plate. I would recommend it for the convenience of not having to worry about aftermarket bumpers, but it seems like you are no stranger to cutting into your vehicle.

87F30379-7FCA-4925-AA31-FFC521B511C0.jpeg

I speak only for myself, but I know there are others here that agree with me on this, while the hitch carriers provide a spare and do so easily when needed without modification, they simply sit too far off the back of the vehicle. It's a partially a weight distribution/balance thing, but it's really more about aesthetics for me personally.

If used temporarily I can understand using the Wilco. They do stick out and act as a lever or arm. Hurt departure angle as well.

We really have poor choices for bumpers, 20 manufactures chasing 10% of the 4 Runner market you would think one of them would look at a GX bumper.

Last edited:
I speak only for myself, but I know there are others here that agree with me on this, while the hitch carriers provide a spare and do so easily when needed without modification, they simply sit too far off the back of the vehicle. It's a partially a weight distribution/balance thing, but it's really more about aesthetics for me personally.
I see your point about it sticking out too far. They should do a little dog-leg and bring it back towards the rear door a little. There's definitely the room for it and it wouldn't affect the structural integrity! If anything, moving the weight of the spare tire forward would allow the weight of the tire to sit over the inserted sleeve of the receiver, thus not bearing any/minimal weight hanging out past the receiver.

I had a couple hours before work today so I was able to mount my HAM radio mounting plate, base radio and connect wires.
Still need to route all the wiring and antenna.
This one of those little projects I can chip away at.
View attachment 2258469View attachment 2258470View attachment 2258471View attachment 2258472View attachment 2258473
If you don't have a place for your mic yet, consider what I did.
Maybe get an extension for your mic and run it under the console so it comes up next to the driver.
I put the mic right next to my right leg on the cup holder, BUT without compromising the push down lid or anything else. I love it in this position. It's very ease to pick up and replace with having to look and there's no swinging cords. It doesn't show it, but I did have to notch out a wee bit on the inside of the cup holder so the lid still comes down, but easy-peasy. Here are some pics from my build thread:
1585931650582.png

1585931675081.png

If you don't have a place for your mic yet, consider what I did.
Maybe get an extension for your mic and run it under the console so it comes up next to the driver.
I put the mic right next to my right leg on the cup holder, BUT without compromising the push down lid or anything else. I love it in this position. It's very ease to pick up and replace with having to look and there's no swinging cords. It doesn't show it, but I did have to notch out a wee bit on the inside of the cup holder so the lid still comes down, but easy-peasy. Here are some pics from my build thread:
View attachment 2258874
View attachment 2258875

Something like this is what I was thinking.

Installed my Front Runner roof rack today. I feel they are the best option for me. Living in the PNW we are constantly dealing with damp conditions and no mater how well the powder coat is steel rusts.

I have parts leftover from my Taco such as under rack table and mount, Maxtrax mounts and brackets I adapted to Thule accessories, so it was an easy choice.

3B947DAB-015A-49DC-B362-8E7A987981AB.jpeg
6C48E95A-8A78-403F-85FA-23265B86127D.jpeg
E93947B8-FD10-406D-A099-AEF7349ED6CB.jpeg
F7C81940-6110-41DF-91D6-096EAA217F63.jpeg
68477C1E-A54C-4349-A5FB-4C59740D82FB.jpeg

Driving down the freeway @70 mph with nothing on the rack, clean db jumped up to 72 from 69 base line. Monday I’ll be ordering the large fairing for the front along with brackets to mount my ARB 1.2 meter awning. I also have the side wind break for this.

Eventually I’ll purchase the Rhino Rack short bat wing awning.

Having used the Eezi Awn for two weeks straight in Namibia last year the bat wing style rock.

949B6BFA-3256-48F8-88B4-2B9E81115B12.jpeg

I installed my hitch this weekend. Found it on Amazon was cheaper elsewhere but the shipping was expensive so overall cheapest from Amazon. Hardware and trailer hook up relocation brackets included. The left side bolts are easy to install the right are more difficult as the exhaust is in the way, overall as easy mod.

0834D4EF-8807-49C3-B50C-6C454A85DB75.jpeg
A1FB40C8-54F3-495E-BCF3-39C72213720B.jpeg
3D32D0C2-4CBE-4E3F-BD8A-B838032F34BE.jpeg
E30BB987-1220-4918-8099-95AECB126C61.jpeg

Driving down the freeway @70 mph with nothing on the rack, clean db jumped up to 72 from 69 base line. Monday I’ll be ordering the large fairing for the front along with brackets to mount my ARB 1.2 meter awning. I also have the side wind break for this.

Eventually I’ll purchase the Rhino Rack short bat wing awning.

Having used the Eezi Awn for two weeks straight in Namibia last year the bat wing style rock.

View attachment 2261065
If you would like I can send you the template I made for the faring on my rig. Depending upon what you want to make your faring out of, just trace and cut it out. Then mount! I made mine out of Acrylic since I have a light bar behind it. It copies the curvature of the roof line really well!
The faring stretches across 3 11"x17" sheets of paper. If you can print 11x17 at 1=1 scale, you're good to go.
Once you print the file, there are alignment lines to align the 3 prints together for the entire length of faring.
You can see how I did it on my build thread starting at #73: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build

If you would like I can send you the template I made for the faring on my rig. Depending upon what you want to make your faring out of, just trace and cut it out. Then mount! I made mine out of Acrylic since I have a light bar behind it. It copies the curvature of the roof line really well!
The faring stretches across 3 11"x17" sheets of paper. If you can print 11x17 at 1=1 scale, you're good to go.
Once you print the file, there are alignment lines to align the 3 prints together for the entire length of faring.
You can see how I did it on my build thread starting at #73: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build

I would love to take a look at the template as well if you don’t mind sharing! I just picked up a Front Runner and was thinking of making my own wind fairing - will definitely give you credit once I start my build thread here in the next month or so.

I would love to take a look at the template as well if you don’t mind sharing! I just picked up a Front Runner and was thinking of making my own wind fairing - will definitely give you credit once I start my build thread here in the next month or so.

Don't the Front Runners come with a fairing now? It says as much in the description on their website.

*edit-It did state it as included a few weeks back but I just looked and that has been removed.

Last edited:
Don't the Front Runners come with a fairing now? It says as much in the description on their website.
It may be extra and if you're planning on a light bar, it may not be clear.

PM me and I'll send you the PDF's.

Thanks, Front Runner fairing is already on order.

*edit-It did state it as included a few weeks back but I just looked and that has been removed.

The Front Runner rack comes with a small one. The larger one is a add on option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom