2016 Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newb here (1st post actually). Looking at purchasing a 2016 TLC w/ 55k miles. Does anyone have issues with this specific model year?

Carcomplaints.com lists rough shifting with the 8-speed transmission. Anyone have transmission issues? I believe this is the model year the transmission went from a 6-speed to an 8-speed.
And FWIW, that same website has rated the 2016 model, the model year with the most complaints.

Other than starter issues or radiator cracks, listed in @Romer 's Common Failures & Repairs thread, any other causes for concern specific to the 2016 model year?

Any information helps.

Thanks,
Cris

I would also go on to the Toyota owners site, register the vehicle like you own it and you can see all th Dealer service records

Everyone I know with a 2016 is happy

The only real complaint I have heard is about the screens for the 2nd row, but there is a removal kit if that bothers you. I would think those with kids would like them

Things I have seen on site that would be complaints about 2016. Transmission fix with TSB. Leather on Steering Wheel seems to be of lesser quality. Then you have usual lack of carplay or phone integration.
I think their was recall on seat belts and I got something from Toyota on AC issue related to AC Servo that if I have problem they will pay for fix for 7 years or 125K miles. Had some piece of paper to tear off and insert in my owner books.
I may be outlier as I had steering rack go bad, replaced under warranty and I am 2nd owner with 1st owner doing 14,400 miles.

Currently love my 2016 and hope to keep if for next 20 years.

You have a lot of reading to do in this section, but your list covers the big stuff. Plus what romer said about individual vehicle maintenance history.

Yes, the steering wheel leather is terrible. If the one you are looking at is affected have them do a top grain leather reupholster at a local shop.
I went the cheap route and got a leather sew on diy cover as I didn't want to fork out 400 for a reupholster.

Had a 2016 200. Might have been my favorite 200. Transmission shifting (particularly downshifts when trying to pass, etc.) was harsh, but 80% solved with software update. I don't believe rear seat entertainment screens were optional that year, so consider removal + the aftermarket cover panels to get them out of your back seat passenger's faces. They're useless.

Strangely, both of my front seat door lock actuators went out after 4 years (within a week of each other). First time that's ever happened. But, I don't think that issue is unique to 2016. Good luck!

Had a 2016 200. Might have been my favorite 200. Transmission shifting (particularly downshifts when trying to pass, etc.) was harsh, but 80% solved with software update. I don't believe rear seat entertainment screens were optional that year, so consider removal + the aftermarket cover panels to get them out of your back seat passenger's faces. They're useless.

Strangely, both of my front seat door lock actuators went out after 4 years (within a week of each other). First time that's ever happened. But, I don't think that issue is unique to 2016. Good luck!
The kids love the TV's especially on trips. But yes if you have bigger kids or adults then the screen is in your face.

I have a '16 now, coming from an '13. My only complaint was shifting, which was (90%) fixed by the TSB reflash. Everything else is great, marginally better than my '13, fwiw. The rear screens were the first thing to go, thank you @TrekboxX . I liked the '13 6 speed better, but all things considered, I like the '16 more overall.

Last edited:
Thanks to all that replied. It was super helpful. I had a PPI done at a Toyota Dealership for the 2016 TLC 200, and nothing alarming was found. I took @Romer 's advice about registering the vehicle on Toyota Owners & was able to look up the service history. Nothing alarming. During the test drive, didn't experience any rough shifting or vibrations from 1k-4k rpms in gears 1-5.

Funny how other members brought up the screens. Not a fan of them, but the wifey & the kids will surely enjoy it. We'll see what happens down the road with them.

That being said, I'm ecstatic to be part of the TLC club. Thanks to all that shared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom