2014 LX570 - 80k miles - general maintenance - what work must be done by Lexus dealer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, am the happy owner of a 2000 LX470 with 270k miles on it and am thinking of upgrading to a 2014 LX570 with 80k miles. The maintenance history is short at Lexus and there is not much info on the vehicle about what has been done over the years, would be bought from a Ford dealer and they do not have much background on it. Presently I do some work myself on my LX470 but most work gets done by a small local shop. They have done some exhaust work, brakes, radiator, bearings over the years and the cost savings compared to Lexus garage is huge. The LX470 has the converted shock/coil suspension so no AHC to work on. So for the LX570, can a small shop do most work on it or are there mandatory maintenance or other general repairs that need to be done by Lexus? I prefer to give my business to a local shop where I know the mechanics by name and can also bring my own parts for them to install.

thanks

Local shop can handle 99% of the service/maintenance. Are you aware of the drivers.lexus.com trick? You can pull all of the service records by registering the VIN.

Local shop can handle 99% of the service/maintenance. Are you aware of the drivers.lexus.com trick? You can pull all of the service records by registering the VIN.
Great good to know. Yes, checked Lexus.com with VIN, not much there, vehicle was imported to Canada a few years ago and Canada Lexus website does not offer the history check so am pretty much blind. Has a clean carfax, but will probably change all fluids right away to be safe. What would be the 1% that Lexus needs to do, would it be related to the suspension? Is changing the suspension oil a dealer job?

Changing the AHC fluid in the suspension is fairly easy job - similar to a brake fluid change. Easy DIY for individuals with a little mechanical knowledge. Super easy for an Indy - but i'd show them the procedure here in the forums. Great detail on the forum to review prior to doing it. The great thing about this forum is that there is a TON of help out there for troubleshooting issues. Lots of us have access to the service manuals, so if you run into issues or need something just ask. I'd just leave the 1% to something electrical that can't be figured out - which is extremely rare.

Awesome thanks, that is another great reason to stick with the LX family. My wife is nervous about buying used at that price given that we could get an almost new Explorer or Pathfinder for similar cost, but I am not too worried about the 80k on the odo and future maintenance based on how well the LX470 has treated me. Actually there is not real reason to sell the LX470, will be sad to see it go, but for my wife safety for kids is important and not sure how much to trust a 21 year old air bag vs the new 2014 and this one is coming up at a good price for the year and in the color combo I am looking for. Hope it works out.

If Indy screws up the AHC service, then will Indy stand behind the work and take time to diagnose the issue and replace parts along the way, which can get quite costly?

At least with Lexus dealer, if they screw up, then they have the financial and parts dept backing to solve the issue(s).

I am just a couple months ahead of you, here is a little blurb about what I did. Take anything useful and chuck the rest!

As a matter of interest, there is a ton of fluid in these. AHC, Trans, Engine, Brakes, Power Steering, Diff. Some of those there is after market fluids and some there are not. Either way, it is a decent chunk of coin not including the labor. The Transfer Case fluid is $60 per quart alone. I would suggest your AHC flush be your top priority. FWIW

If Indy screws up the AHC service, then will Indy stand behind the work and take time to diagnose the issue and replace parts along the way, which can get quite costly?

At least with Lexus dealer, if they screw up, then they have the financial and parts dept backing to solve the issue(s).
Lexus dealers must be different than Toyota dealers. I’ve had my local Toyota dealer screw up (badly) and then tell me to go pound sand. And, with no help for me from corporate. A local Indy shop I’ve used will definitely stick with it and stand behind their work.

Hi, am the happy owner of a 2000 LX470 with 270k miles on it and am thinking of upgrading to a 2014 LX570 with 80k miles. The maintenance history is short at Lexus and there is not much info on the vehicle about what has been done over the years, would be bought from a Ford dealer and they do not have much background on it. Presently I do some work myself on my LX470 but most work gets done by a small local shop. They have done some exhaust work, brakes, radiator, bearings over the years and the cost savings compared to Lexus garage is huge. The LX470 has the converted shock/coil suspension so no AHC to work on. So for the LX570, can a small shop do most work on it or are there mandatory maintenance or other general repairs that need to be done by Lexus? I prefer to give my business to a local shop where I know the mechanics by name and can also bring my own parts for them to install.

thanks
If you haven’t made a decision yet, I suggest seeing if you can take the 570 to the Indy shop you use for an evaluation. Use whatever is found as part of the negotiations.

Lexus dealers must be different than Toyota dealers. I’ve had my local Toyota dealer screw up (badly) and then tell me to go pound sand. And, with no help for me from corporate. A local Indy shop I’ve used will definitely stick with it and stand behind their work.
I am pretty sure Lexus is much better. eatwoofsleep had major snafu with AHC by lexus dealer. They kept his truck for a few months and replaced most of the AHC system i think.

I think the moral of the story here is to not trust your Lexus dealer to do most of the work on an LX better than the indy shop would. Not to say that your local dealership isn't a good one, just saying it's not a given that they are. Plenty of horror stories on here about Toyota/Lexus dealers breaking things on 200 series, mostly due to the fact that they rarely see them so have no more experience working on them than anyone else. I think the important thing is to really follow up on what and how you want work done. There is a good indy shop in my neighborhood that we use for general maintenance when I don't feel like doing the work. They have previously always done good work for honest bills and it's been great. I took my LX to have the AHC flushed right after i bought it. I went over what I wanted done (based on reading here on MUD) and they assured me they knew exactly what they were doing, but then returned me an LX with almost a bone dry AHC reservoir. I suspected something was up because they ended up not charging me for the service and it takes about $75 in fluid to do a proper flush.

I think the moral of the story here is to not trust your Lexus dealer to do most of the work on an LX better than the indy shop would. Not to say that your local dealership isn't a good one, just saying it's not a given that they are. Plenty of horror stories on here about Toyota/Lexus dealers breaking things on 200 series, mostly due to the fact that they rarely see them so have no more experience working on them than anyone else. I think the important thing is to really follow up on what and how you want work done. There is a good indy shop in my neighborhood that we use for general maintenance when I don't feel like doing the work. They have previously always done good work for honest bills and it's been great. I took my LX to have the AHC flushed right after i bought it. I went over what I wanted done (based on reading here on MUD) and they assured me they knew exactly what they were doing, but then returned me an LX with almost a bone dry AHC reservoir. I suspected something was up because they ended up not charging me for the service and it takes about $75 in fluid to do a proper flush.
And that is the biggest problem with Indy shops (in my past experience)…they assure that they know what they are doing (they have to)….

So, let’s just say that you are not as anal as you are…and just continue to drive and drive and then AHC Breaks…will that Indy shop admit their fault and incompetence and pay for the repairs at a Lexus dealer at Lexus rate? I doubt it.

And that is the biggest problem with Indy shops (in my past experience)…they assure that they know what they are doing (they have to)….

So, let’s just say that you are not as anal as you are…and just continue to drive and drive and then AHC Breaks…will that Indy shop admit their fault and incompetence and pay for the repairs at a Lexus dealer at Lexus rate? I doubt it.
Thanks for all the feedback, when I went for the test drive with cheque in hand, there were a few issues that made me pass up the deal (undercarriage rust, slight vibration, brake pedal real low), but will continue looking. Happy to know that a lot of work can be done by a local shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom