2013 LC Coolant Leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mud,

With the temps in the single digits at night, I’ve been checking for leaks. Noticed my coolant reservoir was low and then noticed some leakage on the driver side frame below the battery this morning before heading out. Where it’s leaking from isn’t obvious and I’ve yet to really get in there to find it since I’m at work. I did check it while it was running and didn’t see any active leakage. Any thoughts/direction is appreciated.

DDF0EFB3-CFD3-4A77-ACA8-7A6EB1EA84CF.jpeg

A2549084-B9B4-4ED4-AC97-ADA3CE533CDC.jpeg

04DA3896-715F-4708-9CD5-856C40278938.jpeg

Other more knowledgeable sleuths will come along to answer your question, but it looks like it’s time for a new belt.

Something to keep in mind the fan will blow coolant around also so it may not be coming from that location. The fan would blow the coolant around and I thought I had a valley plate leak or something similar.

It turned out my water pump was leaking I pressure tested it for an hour and there was no indication of any leaks. The gasket had a small worn spot and the coolant would gently leak from it.

Below any main radiator hoses? Typical for some rubber shrinkage *hehe* in very abnormally low temps. With heat, they'll snug back up and won't leak anymore.

Thanks for the replies.

I’ll continue to keep an eye on it and get up under there for a better look.

And yes, the belt needs replacing. Thankfully I have a new one ready to go along with some other preventative maintenance goodies

I’m betting water pump and the pulley is slinging it out from there. Using a mirror check for pink crust under and inside the back of the pulley.

I’m betting water pump and the pulley is slinging it out from there. Using a mirror check for pink crust under and inside the back of the pulley.
Appreciate the insight bloc. In thinking about it, it definitely sounds like a logical possibility.

When is the last time you performed a deep clean of your radiator(s)? FWIW, I had something similar. The most likely cause was coolant system too hot, over-pressure, and reservoir ejecting coolant through the short hose on the reservoir cap. Sperged out on a radiator deep clean--did not look bad, buy ooooh boy a ton of Sonoran desert and Death Valley fech-fech came out--resulting in greatly improved vehicle behavior all around.

I've been in the boiling fuel/charcoal canister threads for about a year, and I've officially added 'clean radiator' to 'check battery voltage' to 'do these things before you do anything else' list for myself.

I've been in the boiling fuel/charcoal canister threads for about a year, and I've officially added 'clean radiator' to 'check battery voltage' to 'do these things before you do anything else' list for myself.
Is there a good way to truly clean a radiator without a) removal or b) damage to fins?

When is the last time you performed a deep clean of your radiator(s)? FWIW, I had something similar. The most likely cause was coolant system too hot, over-pressure, and reservoir ejecting coolant through the short hose on the reservoir cap. Sperged out on a radiator deep clean--did not look bad, buy ooooh boy a ton of Sonoran desert and Death Valley fech-fech came out--resulting in greatly improved vehicle behavior all around.

Not a bad thought, but the rad was replaced almost a year ago to the day so it's likely good to go.

Not to later stick my foot in my mouth, but the top coolant hose wasn't fully tight when I went to mess with it this morning and I noticed there was a little coolant getting out the backside, dripping onto the belt, and the belt was throwing it as it does. Fingers crossed. Thanks dudes.

Not a bad thought, but the rad was replaced almost a year ago to the day so it's likely good to go.

Not to later stick my foot in my mouth, but the top coolant hose wasn't fully tight when I went to mess with it this morning and I noticed there was a little coolant getting out the backside, dripping onto the belt, and the belt was throwing it as it does. Fingers crossed. Thanks dudes.
Spring clamp or screw?

The stock spring clamps are actually much better, as long as the radiator hose is Genuine Toyota, because the wall thickness matters a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom