5.7L V8 Cam Tower Leaks, Timing Cover Leaks, Valley Plate Coolant Leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thinking of trading the 2020 Cruiser in on a 2024 HO F250 Tremor…….
While that is a great and big truck in very attractive trim, be aware diesels with DPF and adblue systems are much more complex and during regeneration of DPF have to inject excess diesel in the cylinders to up the exhaust temperature to around 1600 degr F with the turbo setting in the middle of all that. This excess diesel can also get in your oil so frequent/timely oil changes (say every 5000 miles) are a must to keep the oil and in return the turbo and crankshaft bearings in good shape.

Also the oil you use needs to be specific.

There is a ex Mercedes Technician who explains a lot of the issues. I have had issues with this on my BMW 535d and have gone for a delete. All in all the F250 is bigger and the DPF may not be cramped under the hood with the engine keeping the thermal loads on all the wiring and plastics within reason, regardless this DPF technology is crazy in my mind. Has killed the long term traditional reliability of diesel vehicles. The sad thing is that Bosch has already developed injectors at even higher injection pressures which atomizes the diesel even further and does not require this bolt on diesel emission stuff. All thanks to the EPA and politicians ofcourse.

Last edited:
While that is a great and big truck in very attractive trim, be aware diesels with DPF and adblue systems are much more complex and during regeneration of DPF have to inject excess diesel in the cylinders to up the exhaust temperature to aroun 1600 degr F with the poor turbo setting in the middle of all that. This excess diesel can also get in your oil so frequent/timely oil changes (say every 5000 miles) are a must to keep the oil and in return the turbo and crankshaft bearings in good shape.

Also the oil you use needs to be specific.

There is a ex Mercedes Technician who explains a lot of the issues. I have had issues with this on my BMW 535d and have gone for a delete. All in all the F250 is bigger and the DPF may not be cramped under the hood with the engine keeping the thermal loads on all the wiring and plastics within reason, regardless this DPF technology is crazy in my mind. Has killed the long term traditional reliability of diesel vehicles. The sad thing is that Bosch has already developed injectors at even higher injection pressures which atomizes the diesel even further and does not require this bolt on diesel emission stuff. All thanks to the EPA and politicians ofcourse.
You only have this issue if you have emissions equipment…..

I wonder if the 6cyl hybrid in the sequoia will be any better on the long run. I find it to be the successor to the large Land Cruiser in the US

I wonder if the 6cyl hybrid in the sequoia will be any better on the long run. I find it to be the successor to the large Land Cruiser in the US
A lower mileage or late model year 200 is the way to go in my book, not surprisingly though owning a 2021.

Potentially although that is back to some more engine complexity, be it Made in Japan. I think the LX600 is a good buy with 3 to 4 years on it and 50k miles. And a 2025 or 2026 model year so around 2030. About the time window to replace my 2014 BMW 535d.

The LC100 from what people are posting all over this board? It seems like?
I do want a LC250 and as it is, it should be enough for my needs or the GX550. If you need a big truck this might not work, but if you want something that will give your head and heart piece of mind, I will find a new T4R 5th Gen, period.
Best of luck on your search ... 🫂

I do want a LC250 and as it is, it should be enough for my needs or the GX550. If you need a big truck this might not work, but if you want something that will give your head and heart piece of mind, I will find a new T4R 5th Gen, period.
Best of luck on your search ... 🫂
Maybe change your name to MeWantPrado...?

Early results not looking good. It is a much more complex engine which means more likelihood of problems. Like an electronically controlled thermostat. Aka wires running into a hot, fluid filled, pressurized environment.

I hope they sort out the issues. But where the 3UR gave up some dependability points from the 2UZ, I can see the same thing happening here only maybe a bigger step.

Early results not looking good. It is a much more complex engine which means more likelihood of problems. Like an electronically controlled thermostat. Aka wires running into a hot, fluid filled, pressurized environment.

I hope they sort out the issues. But where the 3UR gave up some dependability points from the 2UZ, I can see the same thing happening here only maybe a bigger step.
Makes you wonder how with the lesser engine with regards to complexity, people are experiencing this in the V8.

Makes you wonder how with the lesser engine with regards to complexity, people are experiencing this in the V8.
I don’t wonder at all. 2UZ->3UR->V35A. More stress, more complexity, statistically more likelihood of problems.

The 3UR is objectively a great engine, especially when compared to anything it directly competes with. None of them are perfect, in spite of what people wish.

I recently just got this repair work under warranty and done at my local Toyota. Just to put it into perspective, If I didn’t have a warranty in place I would’ve had to eat up $3600 in parts and labor. 2011 at 96k miles. I knew this was one of the downsides of the 3UR engine and am grateful this happened within warranty.

Below is the extent of the work inclusive of below parts and 32 hrs of labor.

-Head gaskets
-All Camshaft bearings with associated gaskets
-Water outlets gasket and associated O rings (Valley Plate Repair Items)
-Cam shaft seals
-Oil Pump Gasket
-Water Inlet Gasket (Valley Plate Repair Items)
-FIPG Oil Pan gasket (Basically the RTV Silicone) for the cam seals
-New Toyota Red Super Long Life Coolant
-New OEM motor oil

Tested and no leaks were present. I am currently monitoring the oil consumption and see if there is no burning of oil. If I see any in the future, I’m for sure bringing it back.

In my opinion the 2UZ and 3UR are great motors with downsides to both, but both powerful and reliable motors. Heck I own both and love them.

I recently just got this repair work under warranty and done at my local Toyota. Just to put it into perspective, If I didn’t have a warranty in place I would’ve had to eat up $3600 in parts and labor. 2011 at 96k miles. I knew this was one of the downsides of the 3UR engine and am grateful this happened within warranty.

Below is the extent of the work inclusive of below parts and 32 hrs of labor.

-Head gaskets
-All Camshaft bearings with associated gaskets
-Water outlets gasket and associated O rings (Valley Plate Repair Items)
-Cam shaft seals
-Oil Pump Gasket
-Water Inlet Gasket (Valley Plate Repair Items)
-FIPG Oil Pan gasket (Basically the RTV Silicone) for the cam seals
-New Toyota Red Super Long Life Coolant
-New OEM motor oil

Tested and no leaks were present. I am currently monitoring the oil consumption and see if there is no burning of oil. If I see any in the future, I’m for sure bringing it back.

In my opinion the 2UZ and 3UR are great motors with downsides to both, but both powerful and reliable motors. Heck I own both and love them.

Our cams don't have traditional bearings.. I wonder if that was maybe the cam tower assembly? And if so, odd they'd replace those and not the cams..

Either way I'm glad they got you back on the road and that it was covered. What kind of warranty do you have on a 13yr old vehicle?

The major difference here being the 2uz has more maintenance but the 3UR has more problems. I’m not sure which I prefer more. I know the 3UR has way better performance but honestly I’m not really concerned with power as I am with reliability.

A belt and pump every 90k is a TINY price to pay IMO for something thats “bullet proof” when you should be doing coolant anyway.

Also, idk what others may say, but as an owner or both, i enjoyed the 100 more.
It had more features that i liked and used, the power wasn't a problem because the 200 platform cant adequately translate the power anyway. Driving these in a spirited fashion is just not rewarding and the 100 felt smaller but wasnt. It was a real cruising vibe. The 200 has this unwieldy characteristic to it thats hard to describe. Its not bad though i wont say that. But both trucks fall apart after a certain speed anyway. Ymmv.

Currently shopping; GLS, X7, Defender, Escalade etc.

Now that the LX 600 is off the table mostly for me I can see why the forum and ppl like tex go for the big trucks. They feel how the 200 is claimed to feel lol.

If you saw an LX 570 stock, you would wonder what on earth its doing so low to the ground.

It makes sense ppl need purpose built things, what im trying to say in all this rambling is idk what the 200/300 LX is supposed to be actually. And hint: neither does Lexus.

A belt and pump every 90k is a TINY price to pay IMO for something thats “bullet proof” when you should be doing coolant anyway.

Also, idk what others may say, but as an owner or both, i enjoyed the 100 more.
It had more features that i liked and used, the power wasn't a problem because the 200 platform cant adequately translate the power anyway. Driving these in a spirited fashion is just not rewarding and the 100 felt smaller but wasnt. It was a real cruising vibe. The 200 has this unwieldy characteristic to it thats hard to describe. Its not bad though i wont say that. But both trucks fall apart after a certain speed anyway. Ymmv.

Currently shopping; GLS, X7, Defender, Escalade etc.

Now that the LX 600 is off the table mostly for me I can see why the forum and ppl like tex go for the big trucks. They feel how the 200 is claimed to feel lol.

If you saw an LX 570 stock, you would wonder what on earth its doing so low to the ground.

It makes sense ppl need purpose built things, what im trying to say in all this rambling is idk what the 200/300 LX is supposed to be actually. And hint: neither does Lexus.
This. TB maintenance is so over-hyped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom