2011 LX 570 Coolant Valley Plate Leak and Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll admit I know very little about what book hours are for various jobs, but I'd be completely shocked if it took a decent tech an hour to get the intake off. o-ring gaskets, no fluid hoses to disconnect that I can remember. 4-5 hours seems totally ridiculous.

I'll admit I know very little about what book hours are for various jobs, but I'd be completely shocked if it took a decent tech an hour to get the intake off. o-ring gaskets, no fluid hoses to disconnect that I can remember. 4-5 hours seems totally ridiculous.

You are probably right, once the car is in the bay and hood open. When I worked at dealer, the fast techs seem to beat book time by about half on mechanical tasks. So if it’s an hour to remove, hour to replace… thats 4 hours book time for an intake by that logic.

You are probably right, once the car is in the bay and hood open. When I worked at dealer, the fast techs seem to beat book time by about half on mechanical tasks. So if it’s an hour to remove, hour to replace… thats 4 hours book time for an intake by that logic.
hah.. I completely forgot about the putting it back together part of book time.

oil leak in
Mine is at the local shop now.
I will let you know the final price when it’s done.
My rig also leaking oil in the valley as well.
Oil leak in valley ?
Than sounds more like a head gasket or similar leak. let me know what was done about this as well.

The dealer I'm talking to says to do it right is 26 hours labor and the heads come off to avoid smearing the FIPG and that bending stuff out of the way to do it the $960 dollar way could leave me with an exhaust leak too.

I had an empty reservoir, filled it, drove 3000 miles across the country (with the heat on if that matters) and saw it was almost empty again. Now I can see pink stuff from underneath and sometimes coolant on the pavement.

I'm scared to drive it more than 5-10 miles at this point but now this dealer is also scaring me.

I'm currently in Columbus Indiana between Louisville, Indianapolis and Cincinnati and I'll be here for about another month.

Help?

The dealer I'm talking to says to do it right is 26 hours labor and the heads come off to avoid smearing the FIPG and that bending stuff out of the way to do it the $960 dollar way could leave me with an exhaust leak too.

I had an empty reservoir, filled it, drove 3000 miles across the country (with the heat on if that matters) and saw it was almost empty again. Now I can see pink stuff from underneath and sometimes coolant on the pavement.

I'm scared to drive it more than 5-10 miles at this point but now this dealer is also scaring me.

I'm currently in Columbus Indiana between Louisville, Indianapolis and Cincinnati and I'll be here for about another month.

Help?
That doesn’t seem like an efficient fix unless it’s leaking from head gaskets also. I paid my friend $800 to do it at his shop and no issues. I’d take it to another dealer and see what they say. Maybe that dealer got burned on a repair and want to cover themselves more. Also, the repair time often comes from one technician and service advisor knowledge could be low.

Both a California Bay Area Lexus and Toyota dealer quoted me between 8-12 hours for the repair. No mention of heads being removed. Members here have done the repair in similar times leaving the top end intact and just removing the intake manifold. I would find another shop and take your business there. Expect it to be in the $1600 range for the repair.

There is absolutely no way I’d let a dealer introduce the potential problems of changing perfectly good head gaskets for an unrelated FIPG repair… to avoid smearing said FIPG.

That might top the list of stupid things I’ve heard come from a dealer service department.. ever.

How about giving Ed Martin Toyota a call. They are in fishers Indiana.
Thanks for that tip, turns out they have LC jobs coming in from around the country and are booked through July. They are going to ask their tech if he knows anyone else in the area who they could recommend and put me on a wait list in case someone cancels. In the meantime I guess I can try to figure out how I made it 3000 miles without overheating. Must be a really slow leak but it is certainly coming down underneath and running along the transmission fluid pan seam.

Thanks for that tip, turns out they have LC jobs coming in from around the country and are booked through July. They are going to ask their tech if he knows anyone else in the area who they could recommend and put me on a wait list in case someone cancels. In the meantime I guess I can try to figure out how I made it 3000 miles without overheating. Must be a really slow leak but it is certainly coming down underneath and running along the transmission fluid pan seam.
also check out the clubhouse section of ih8mud. I would post and see who is recommended. I have found great independent mechanics and windshield installer for my area from the clubhouse section.

also check out the clubhouse section of ih8mud. I would post and see who is recommended. I have found great independent mechanics and windshield installer for my area from the clubhouse section.
Thanks for that, didn't know about the clubhouse. Found Specialty 4wd in Walton KY about 100mi from here who said I could call him in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom