Builds 2011 GX460 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seat gap filler was a bust. It was too wide for comfort. Will try other location or type.

I had my cell phone, credit card, etc. fall through the seat gap one too many times and (after seeing ads, since "they" are always listening, lol) decided to get the Drop Stop gap filler and it moves with the seat pretty well. It does not offer any additional storage, but does offer some additional space (allows the front driver/passenger to put the phone or other items next to them). I got the 2-pack (4 total gap fillers) for like $20 on Amazon, so I put them in my wife's vehicle too and they have served their purpose. It's also good for those that work/eat in their vehicles like I do sometimes as it prevented a spill or two from getting down in the gap, which would have been a total pita to clean up. For those of you do work/eat in your vehicle, you can get a steering wheel desk/tray that makes life much easier too.

20201017_191200.jpg

20201017_191148.jpg

So today I mounted my 4lb fire extinguisher with a bracket I made. Pretty happy with how it turned out. It sits on top of the seat rails and has all the appropriate rated bolts. I added an orange quick release strap to keep things from rattling.

20201017_211957.jpg

So I added some side pockets to the center console. They don't offer the cup holder that the previous versions had, but they hold my wallet, gum, pens and other various items. Additionally, since I didn't have the air bag buttons, I used a suction disk to use the space to place the base of the phone holder that has wireless charging.

View attachment 2468246
View attachment 2468247
So today I mounted my 4lb fire extinguisher with a bracket I made. Pretty happy with how it turned out. It sits on top of the seat rails and has all the appropriate rated bolts. I added an orange quick release strap to keep things from rattling.
Can you still move the seat forward?
That's the main reason I can't place an extinguisher in that location. My wife is only 5'-1" and the seat goes almost all the way forward when she drives, which is not that often, but still needs to be able to.

Can you still move the seat forward?
That's the main reason I can't place an extinguisher in that location. My wife is only 5'-1" and the seat goes almost all the way forward when she drives, which is not that often, but still needs to be able to.
There is no impact on either front seat. To be more specific the extinguisher is on the second row of seats in the center. My thinking was that I didn't want to restrict the movement of either captain seat in the future. Instead I can reach through the space between the front seats and easily unbuckle the strap and pull the extinguisher. The location in the second row also allows for those seats to move forward and back without interruptions. It also didn't take away much leg room incase someone needs to sit in the middle. The downside is that if you pack the 2nd row of seats with stuff, one could possibly limit its access.

Great idea locating it in the middle of the second seat! I have mine mounted on the rear quarter grab handle, drivers side. Not quite as easy to get to, but still accessible.

IMG_20201020_232845_948.jpg

IMG_20201020_140940_292.jpg

IMG_20201020_144255_590.jpg

Took the rig up to the Kern River for a day of fly fishing. Great day!

Having some issue with the cooling system. Will take to the mechanic tomorrow. I think it might be the thermostat.

Made an internal rod holder, but the beeping from having the back window up was annoying. Also, concerned about the struts closing on the rod tips that stick out if I go over a bump. Going to look into resolving both issues.
20201020_104503.jpg

Not the cheapest option but a rack and a rod tube would keep them safe and sound. There's always the hood mounted option as well but they are in constant danger from big bugs, rocks, and tree limbs if you ask me. I always resort to assembling my rods when I get there, not as fast to the water but it keeps the pricey gear safe and sound. Now for my conventional gear I usually run them along the ceiling like you've done or if there's room I rest them over the seat backs or down in the front passenger foot well if I am solo.

PVC pipe makes great rod tubes! Cheap, custom lengths, easy to mount. 👍
Just make sure you use SCH 80 (the thick walled pipe).

So I found the following clamp for the rear window struts on Amazon. There is a cheaper version, but I am a sucker for the blue.

Amazon product ASIN B002D3PSJK
Additionally, I found out that you can trigger the latch to get rid of the open door alarm from having the rear window open.

To clarify, this setup is to transport the rods from spot to spot, up and down the river. I am not using it to travel to the and from the water. Just a quick way to pop into the truck and head to another spot with the rods out of the way without having to breakdown and less likely to encounter a breaking bend or window snapping the tips. I like the rooftop rod cases, but don't see the need for them in my case.

Things learned so far from the Lancer setup:

The parking sensors for the middle two units have an angle feature that should have the fatter side on the top.

Ordered some new sensor holders in black, will only have Grey dots on the bumper.

The rear wheel takes up a significant chunk of the rear view sight line. Looking forward to the Grom unit to arrive to setup the new rear camera location.

View attachment 2502911View attachment 2502912
My hack of the week. I order the following tray for a 4 runner, got out the heat gun and bent one side enough so that it fits really nicely in the center console. Took all of five minutes.

Amazon product ASIN B07W3RWF63
Okay, you got me. I just ordered one. I do keep a lot of what most would call junk, I call stuff in my center console. From phone/tablet charging cables to gum, my pipe (tobacco...), tire deflators, and the list goes on.

20201122_121601.jpg
20201122_121615.jpg
20201122_121553.jpg
So hear are some more pictures of my center console modifications. I included the partition I bought and the installation of foam with sticky adhesive that can go from 1" to 1/4" quickly to stabilize the cups used. It isn't perfect, but it works well. It a a second to compress the foam to seat the cup, but it holds the drinks solidly.

20201124_154826.jpg
20201124_154831.jpg
A couple of more puzzle pieces done. Put on the Hi-lift jack and secured it with a drilled out bolt.

I just used wing nuts on mine and never had an issue with them coming loose. Albeit, I have to use my Leatherman to loosen them.
I also use a short length of cable and inexpensive combo lock to lock it on. Just to keep the honest folk, honest.
I actually purchased about 4 of those inexpensive combination locks that can be set to whatever combination you want. I have them all set to the same combo to keep things simple and not keys. I have them on my HighLift, jerry cans and MaxTrax and on my Awnbrella.
If someone really wanted any of those it wouldn't be that hard to defeat the locks, but it keeps knuckleheads from walking by and unbolting something and walking away with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom