200K make over (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck is nearing the 200k mark. I dont have plans to replace it anytime soon so I tought I would start refreshing it - and making it new again. With the changes below I made it drives and feels like new. Zero thunk/thud/clunk in my drive train.

I've done the following to my 100 in the past few months:I installed new OEM rear upper control arms installed last night. Bushings were toast after 13 years and 200,000 miles.
IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

New set of revo tires.
Balanced rear driveshaft.
New set of Sport Old Man Emu shocks.
Rebuilt front CV axles - Toyota OEM
CVaxle.jpg

Installed Slee Rear Lower Control Arms - OEM were bent.
Cruiser4.jpg

In the past 2 years.
I've put new Toytoa OEM front Upper control arms on.
DSC07603.jpg

New lower ball joints on front end.
New front and rear sway bar bushings.
DSC08014.jpg

The truck drives and handles like new. I love it. 200,000 miles and going strong. There are many adventures still left in this Land Cruiser.
DSC_0821.jpg

steeringwheel.jpg

Nice!

Did you notice a lot of change when you changed the upper and lower rear control arms? I am nearing the 200K mark and have original bushings and arms. I was thinking that the bushings must not have a lot of cushion/flexibility still in them.

Thanks

Did you notice a lot of change when you changed the upper and lower rear control arms? I am nearing the 200K mark and have original bushings and arms. I was thinking that the bushings must not have a lot of cushion/flexibility still in them.

Thanks

I noticed a big difference in the truck by changing lower and upper rear control arms. The "slop" that is in the driveline that you experience when stopping and going - gone 100%. Nice and tight. Much less vibration. I also replaced both Ujoints in the rear drive line. They were shot and not moving like they should.

About $500 to change both upper and lower but well worth it for a truck I plan on keeping until 400k.

Last edited:
good to know as I'm getting close and have a lot of "slop"

Very good information. Thanks. I will be looking into these replacements, as well....

I noticed a big difference in the truck by changing lower and upper rear control arms. The "slop" that is in the driveline that you experience when stopping and going - gone 100%. Nice and tight. Much less vibration. I also replaced both Ujoints in the rear drive line. They were shot and not moving like they should.

About $500 to change both upper and lower but well worth it for a truck I plan on keeping until 400k.

I started getting really odd handling in December, truck was all over the place at speeds over 35. Replaced the rear upper links and found the old bushings completely shot. Significant improvement in handling.

This is great info. I'm at 150K, but always good to know what I have to look forward to.

How much did all that cost?

This may be on my short list, too. After lifting the front up a little, I'm noticing a very distinct wandering effect over 35-40mph, just like Loud. Almost like the tires/wheels/steering has slop somewhere. Everything is tight as far as I can tell, so I might look into the bushings. Granted my truck hasn't been beaten on NEARLY as much as Loud's, but it's disconcerting to drive the way it is right now...and that's not cool for a LC.

If you just lifted the front check the alignment. Lifting will give you positive camber and probably changes toe as well. On a multilink front the wheel aligment changes as you compress/extend

If you end up with a lot of pos camber and/or too much toe-in it will make a vehicle really twitchy.

How much did all that cost?

Everything I have done to the truck in the past two years (not including tires) probablly about $1500 - $2000 give or take. Well worth it in my mind. Truck is paid off - maintenance here and there will keep it running safe and clean for years to come.

Lower rears - $300 Slee
Upper rears - $250 OEM
CV Axles - $200 - OEM Rebuilt
Driveshaft balance $40
U joints - $160 OEM
Upper Front Control arms - $600 OEM
Lower Ball joints $100 - Spicer
Steering Rack - $400 OEM
Sway Arm bushings - $50 OEM
New Old Man Emu Shocks - $450
Added May 2012
OEM Muffler $400
(2) Front Engine Mounts $250

Last edited:
Everything I have done to the truck in the past two years (not including tires) probablly about $1500 - $2000 give or take. Well worth it in my mind. Truck is paid off - maintenance here and there will keep it running safe and clean for years to come.

Lower rears - $300 Slee
Upper rears - $250 OEM
CV Axles - $200 - OEM Rebuilt
Driveshaft balance $40
U joints - $160 OEM
Upper Front Control arms - $600 OEM
Lower Ball joints $100 - Spicer
Steering Rack - $400 OEM
Sway Arm bushings - $50 OEM
New Old Man Emu Shocks - $450

Most of that has been on my to-do list since before I bought this 100 (Feb 2011)

And a couple of strained friendships . . .

:flipoff2:
For the record I did all of these myself - except for the steering rack and pressing the lower ball joints out. Thank you very much Mr. Monkey. :D

I did get significant help on the steering rack from a good friend that knows a thing or two about Toyotas. And had to borrow another friend's lift to do the job. Pain in the booty. Key lesson I learned from the steering rack - never do it your self. If I ever have to replace one again - paying a dealership to do 100% of the job. It sucked ass and was not easy.

Most impressive part was my creative financing that allowed me to pay cash for all the parts and keep the princess on a limited need-to-know how much the parts cost basis. Sucessful. Enron would have been proud of my book keeping skills. It's her daily driver so I'm buying all the parts for her - so don't judge me.:flipoff2:

You have friends?

Yes. Real ones. Not online ones. I actually talk to them face to face. Its cool. You should try it sometime.

I know, just busting your chops. That same friend that did your rack told me that when mine went out that we weren't friends any more.

It's great that you've done all of this. My truck has developed a couple squeaks that I am worried are goign to snowball into replacing every bushing and joint under it.

I know, just busting your chops. That same friend that did your rack told me that when mine went out that we weren't friends any more.

It's great that you've done all of this. My truck has developed a couple squeaks that I am worried are goign to snowball into replacing every bushing and joint under it.

When your steering rack goes out you should change it yourself. I'll invite myself over bring the lawn chair and beverages and sit back and watch the entertainment unfold :popcorn:. I can't wait. I thought I saw some leakage under your truck last time it was in the neighborhood. You should check your steering rack. I'm sure it's leaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom