Builds 2007 GX470 Overland Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been looking around the forum for the past 6 weeks after the purchase of my build vehicle (07 GX470 non-kdss). Vehicle was purchased in Ohio with 115k for a good price, only serviced at Lexus and driven by an older lady. Standard rust belt wear on the underside that I quickly removed, treated, and painted after I drove it back to Colorado. The wheels are in good shape minus the spare which looks like it had never been removed from the heavily rusted spare tire mount on the underside of the vehicle. I am always looking for more recommendations and info for the items that will be added throughout the build.

Build Plan:

Rust Removal and Treatment- Complete
New OEM Spare Tire holder- Complete
Lift- Toytec Boss 2.0 w/HD coils and remotes (purchased)
SPC UCA- (purchased)
RCI Sliders
RCI Skid Plates
Front / Rear Bumper with Spare Swingout- Prefer direct bolt on with no body mods...recommendatoins?
Roof Rack
Awning
Hard Top Tent
Internal rear storage- Prefer DIY based on cost, lots of plans and pics on this forum.
Secondary / Dual power system- recommendations?
Fridge with slideout- low power draw preferred.

Immediate future is new new tires to accompany the lift. Leaning towards Toyo AT2 265/70r17. Is this the largest I can go with stock wheels and not need spacers? I read there are rubbing issues (some more dramatic than others) with anything larger. Also, can't find solid info on max size tire that will fit in OEM spare tire location if I take the swing out spare off. Send your experience, recommendations, and spears!

DE7FD8DB-BAFA-4E9E-B4E8-9D8AF6E56635.JPG

Rust removal. Took it to bare metal on the bad spots with orbital sander and fine grinding discs. Treated with Rustoleum Rust Converter and covered with spray on bed liner. Took several hours and almost lost a finger along the way after the sander bucked and went partially though my reenforced mechanix glove. If you do this wear eye protection and a respirator due to the high probability that "rust dust" is most likely very toxic.

D13A96AA-A9DC-403F-A850-31B8A55DC0F4.JPG

F9D95DAA-F531-4DA6-B985-1ACB5D4A56B4.JPG

AF40AC9A-6C29-49BE-8434-DEDB27FA4569.JPG

6DF81198-3C15-4F4B-B8F6-7722FC80C09C.JPG

Good job tackling the rust/pitting first.

At least one lad here is running 35's - rubbing is eliminated with some wheel well modifications, very doable (I'm running 33's with just the slightest trimming required).

Congrats

I am running 32", Dick Cepek Fun Country 265/70/17 with MetalTech/Radflow 2.5-3" lift on 2015 4Runner SR5 wheels, no problems

Went to RGS off-road in Lakewood,CO for the lift install. I couldn't be happier with the job they did. Toytec Boss 2.0 with upgraded rear shocks (reservoir), HD coils, SPC adjustable UCA's, and Toyo Open Country AT2 255/80r17 tires. While they were in there they replaced the sway bar endjoints which were shot. The vehicle rides better than stock (no body roll, excellent dampening) and the OC AT2's ride super smooth and quiet for a 33inch all terrain. The speedo was off by 4.1 mph at 60 mph which is easily fixed through the nav calibration menu. Next the running boards will come off and sliders will go on. Looking forward to hitting the trail.

Late addition: The 255/80r17 spare does not fit in the stock location due to the towing kit. That will be alleviated once a rear bumper is installed and the hitch package is removed. There was also slight rubbing at full turn and a triangle the size of a small slice of pizza was cut from the aft portion of the front wheel wells to accommodate.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom