2005 with nav replacement/upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y’all. My 2005 LC’s screen is shot and the nav software is out of date for my area and I would like to add Apple CarPlay. Replacement nav screens are $1000 so I figured I’d upgrade. Seems my only option is a Tesla-style screen. Found two options: $500 and one $1000, which means either the former is junk or the latter is overpriced. Spoke to the car audio shop that’s been around since the 90s and they’d never heard of either brand.

Figured someone on here has confronted this before, so Amy advice you have is greatly appreciated.

IMG_4934.jpeg

I'm in the middle of replacing mine with the Teyes CC3. Read good things about it and install so far is fairly easy. Everything seems decent quality and looks to fit very well. I can update you once I finish most likely this next weekend.

This is the one I got as my headunit is the same model as yours. It's option C. in case you wanted to look more into it.

I've hit the follow on this but am commenting to say that I'd love to hear the results of the Teyes install.

Warning ⚠️
Teyes produce unbearable hum and noise on LCs. LXs work good enough. Here is the thread - LX470 2004 | Need help with Android Screen - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx470-2004-need-help-with-android-screen.1277592/

You'll need to replace factory AMP in LCs.
I have an LX with Mark Levinson. I have not experienced any hum or issues whatsoever. I was concerned about the amp, but so far so good. They do sell a part that is supposed to reduce interference/hum if you get it. I did not need it and am happy to sell. Install was simple plug and play.

I have an LX with Mark Levinson. I have not experienced any hum or issues whatsoever. I was concerned about the amp, but so far so good. They do sell a part that is supposed to reduce interference/hum if you get it. I did not need it and am happy to sell. Install was simple plug and play.
Good, Some LX owners had to play with volume controls and output levels to eliminate or minimize hum as stated in the other thread. Note Teyes has this red warning in their product page "NOTE: Some instances of amplifiers are causing a "hum" sound in the system . This is a work in progress to determine why, please be aware."

I like to try that, what is it? can you attach a picture here, please?

I'd imagine you can pull one of these screens/center stacks from a wrecked 100 for almost nothing. I'd do that and then get the Grom VLine, which has a lot of positive reviews.

With a good radio bluetooth transmitter and a phone mount, I don't miss Android Auto/Apple Carplay. YMMV.

I'd imagine you can pull one of these screens/center stacks from a wrecked 100 for almost nothing. I'd do that and then get the Grom VLine, which has a lot of positive reviews.

With a good radio bluetooth transmitter and a phone mount, I don't miss Android Auto/Apple Carplay. YMMV.
I have my screen from my 06. DM menod
Anyone wants to buy.

Good, Some LX owners had to play with volume controls and output levels to eliminate or minimize hum as stated in the other thread. Note Teyes has this red warning in their product page "NOTE: Some instances of amplifiers are causing a "hum" sound in the system . This is a work in progress to determine why, please be aware."

I like to try that, what is it? can you attach a picture here, please?
IMG_2452.jpeg

IMG_2451.jpeg

Very interested

They do sell a part that is supposed to reduce interference/hum if you get it. I did not need it and am happy to sell.
I mean this part supposed to reduce noise. What is it?

I looked a LOT at options for this and currently have a Teyes CC3 in my 2007 LX470. Here's a quick summary:

I first installed the GROM VLine. Great little system, very reliable, and basically keeps everything like climate control and backup camera stock. The only issue, and it's a biggun, is that the stock screen sucks for touch control and resolution. The GROM just made me realize what the system could be, but was massively held back by the stock screen. I still have it if you want to buy a used GROM with about a week of usage for cheap.

Then I installed the Teyes. I also built a custom climate control app to replace the s***ty one on the Teyes. Then I installed an aftermarket amp and speakers. I also installed the front and rear cameras and use them for a DVR when driving.
Here's what you need to know:
1) It still doesn't work well on the LC. There's something wrong with the wiring or grounding or stock amp or something that causes an unbearable noise and it's really no closer to being resolved than it was a year ago.
2) It works great on the LX with the stock amp. It also works great on an LX/LC with a replaced AMP (like mine). Be aware that replacing the amp in the LC/LX can cause ground/AC hum and you may need to install the "big three" upgrade or ground loop isolators to get a noise-free system. The ground loop isolators are the "noise reduction part" mentioned above.
3) The climate control app kind of sucked, but there's an open source replacement here: Looking for a picture of the LX470 climate control screen - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/looking-for-a-picture-of-the-lx470-climate-control-screen.1305009/
4) The Teyes comes with a dual SIM slot, but it doesn't support the bands used by TMobile or Google Fi in the US. I'm a Google Fi customer and love their data-only plan. You can get a free tmobile hotspot, chuck the sim it comes with, install a Google Fi sim card, then plug the hotspot into one of the USB ports on the Teyes. Here's the link for the free hotspot: eSIM_modal - https://www.t-mobile.com/esim-modal.html . When the truck starts up it powers the hotspot, and the Teyes connects to the hotspot either over the USB port (usb-to-ethernet) or via wifi. Your choice.
5) The backup camera is way better than stock. You need to tap the reverse light on the driver's side, but it's easy. The front camera is also an easy install and works well (on the CC3 360 versions)

I also have an OEM screen if you want it from my 2007 LX in gray. I keep planning to sell it on ebay but I get distracted easily. $200 + shipping and it's yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom